Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skoda Octavia Central locking-Windows!!

• 19-06-2013 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all i have a problem. Again.

My brother 2007 skoda octavias, radiator fan is constantly running when car is on. 1.9tdi

Today i disconnected the battery and checked the connection at the fan and checked the fuses, to no avail. Everything looks perfect to me.
    Now the drivers side central locking and electric windows are not working at all. :mad:
    All i did was check a few fuses and the connection going into the fans!!

Im badly stuck here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

fan usually on when temperature sensor fault/or disconnected.

is that only drivers side central lock and windows no working ?

does it worked before from remote and from key in driver door lock? does it work from key now ? could be faulty comfort module , but not sure about skodas 07. have to connect to diagnostics, and see whats goin on.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭paulginger2

The window controls driver side, and the central locking button centre console are not working,
    They fob will do every door except the drivers door.

@joedix - i thought it would do no harm to have a look at the fuses and the connection, not like i was stripping down the engine or anything, just a simple look that might have been obvious and saved money

Had the battery disconnected there for a while and sprayed contact cleaner into the fuse box in engine bay and left it for half an hour.

Reconnected battery, now everything is working but there i a dash light on, checked the book and it says electromechanical steering.
    Im assuming the may be a plethora of electrical **** wrong with the car now.

Anyone be able to shed some light on this???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

joedixon63 wrote: »
    Hey Dude that's why there are guy and girls called car mechanics, they know about these things

sound

Would it be possible for me to check the thermostat myself? If i had money i would go to a mechanic but atm i just cant afford it!

• Advertisement

Would it be possible for me to check the thermostat myself? If i had money i would go to a mechanic but atm i just cant afford it!

thermostat has to be checked , when problems with temperature, you have to check connection on temperature sensor. I assume, fans all time on, even if you start car when cold.

if fans on all time, after you driving , then more likely thermostat stuck closed.

usually there is no problems get thermostat, but you shall have a look where is in your car, vw use to have thermostat in bad places, like in bottom corner in radiator, but i am not sure about your skoda.

if youll manage get it out, drop it in boiled water, it has to open, if does not, so it is stuck closed.

after replacing, probably worth put new coolant in system, and it have to be bled properly.

regarding steering, i believe, battery maybe not giving enough power, as it should be. .. have to be 12.4 V , if you can check.

random electrical failures led to think that car was flood damaged. ... unless you know off whom you bought car.

Thanks very much for the advice i genuinely do appreciate it!

The light for the steering has gone off and now there are no warning lights on the dash,i also took it for a quick drive, steering is working as it shud be, but the fan still runs constantly while the car is on.
    The car was bought off a dealer and i know the previous owner personally and there was never an issue whatsoever with the car, it only has 127km on it.
    I will have a look and see if i can find where the thermostat is located, a search on the net might provide that information.

On a forum i found people were saying that damp in the fuse box was the culprit for a similar problem, is it a fairly involved job getting access under the fuses(engine bay) to have a look??

First i would suggest do diagnostics, and probably would see where is fault. in other case, you have to locate temperature sensor, and check if it is connected up. if it is, then you shall check resistance , remove connector, and check on poles, on warm engine it shall be around under 1 k ohms, when cold, shall be around 8 k ohms. .. if i am not mistaken.

ok thanks again ill do that.

When i put it into hot water how will i know if it opens?
    I dont know what they look like im assuming they look similar to a thermostat on the boiler of a heating system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Based on your description here, I'd be pretty sure water's gotten into one of the control modules somewhere in the car and it's sending all sorts of crap around the network between them. It happened to a friend's '05 Octavia when the rear washer hose popped off the nozzle in the boot door and soaked the towing module.

When I scanned it with VCDS several modules were reporting faults. As soon as the module had dried out, everything was back to normal.

So, before you start pulling things apart, get the car to someone with VCDS or VAG's VAS 5051 system to do a full diagnostic on the car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭aman23

check and see if someone, bypassed the temperature sensor, with something.

Advertisement