Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's Plays watched

• 19-06-2013 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,046 ✭✭✭✭

I hope there is not a thread on this open already. So the questions are:
    1. Have you seen a let's play of a game that has made you go out and get it.

2. What made you want it was it the game itself the let's player or something else.

3. Did the game live up to the expectations

I myself can only think of 3 games I have gotten. Portal 1 & 2 and I did enjoy them and would keep playing them. Tales of Vesperia was one that I recently got after seeing it on a lets's player I subscribe to. I have only played for a bit as I only got it the other day but so far so good. The let's player was very good in explaining the game and getting immersed in the game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Northern Lion's Let's Play of Dark Souls.

Had been reading up on it and then searched Youtube for a let's play, that was the 1st one that came up. Ended up watching like 15 vids in one sitting!

Ordered it online the next day, completely blew my expectations away!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The only let's plays I watched were more historical documentaries on games with lots of interesting facts about them.

Frank Cifaldi's playthrough of Gimmick is fantastic and lets you know so much about the game:

Research Indicates let's play of jurassic park trespasser is one of the best let's plays out there. It shows how far ahead of it's time it was and how broken it is as well:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't watch any of them, as i'm interested in the story, and a let's play would ruin it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

My brother loves those. There's a great half life one called Freeman's Mind, though being half life it is long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWqiagRDjmI

That's the first episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I'd watch lets plays of older games, typically because i'll probably never get round to playing them, or already have and like the nostalgic feeling i'd get from watching them again (I cba replaying most games).

• Advertisement

I often watch the Achievement Hunter Let's Play.. some of them are excellent! Particularly the Mario-U, Trouble in Terrorist Time, Slender, and a few others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I LOVE let's plays.

Gix's let's plays of skyrim, oblivion and morrowind are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

anyone ever watch the full cutscenes for games that are usually longer than a full movie?

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDF5B4BE2C48B48EE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Research Indicates let's play of jurassic park trespasser is one of the best let's plays out there. It shows how far ahead of it's time it was and how broken it is as well:

That is the only "lets play" that I watched from start to finish. Its a Must see thing on youtube. Its such a shame he is not doing any more of the lets plays :(.

As for lets plays in general. I find them useless. At one stage it was an easy cash in for youtubers.
    The most annoying lets plays are of the brand new releases. Even if I am not getting it now, I will get it later on on sale. So why would I want spoil it to myself, by watching some twat playing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

Nakar's let's play of Ultima VII was the clincher, for me. I'm not sure if this fits the definition commonly used here but I tend to prefer the older, textual let's plays, especially when there's some comedy woven into the narrative by the let's player.
    Don't get me wrong, I knew it was a gem but seeing just how much fun one person could have with it and how it could so easily be twisted to make things appear... wrong, was enticing.

Also, I'm not sure if it's strictly relevant to this but Doug the Eagle's 'How to be a complete bastard in Pagan' was so hilarious that I had to try Ultima VIII, even though it really pales in comparison to the others.
    As for lets plays in general. I find them useless. At one stage it was an easy cash in for youtubers.
    The most annoying lets plays are of the brand new releases. Even if I am not getting it now, I will get it later on on sale. So why would I want spoil it to myself, by watching some twat playing it.

I would highly recommend the Let's Play Archives, which is... well, an archive of the let's play threads from Something Awful. The three I'd go for-at least for a taste of how good they can be-would be as above, Ultima VII, Animal Crossing or-and shame on your if you haven't read it yet-the Boatmurdered succession game of Dwarf Fortress.

If nothing else, just go through Boatmurdered. If you don't want to play Dwarf Fortress after it then I don't know what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

If nothing else, just go through Boatmurdered. If you don't want to play Dwarf Fortress after it then I don't know what to say.

Boatmurdered is an LP masterpiece.So much lava...So many elephants...

As for my own recommendation,I'd say Chip & Ironicus.Their LP of 50 Cent:Blood on the Sand is hilarious,along with their LPs of all the Metal Gear games.

The only one other lets play I like to watch are these two lads. They are just funny as hell and go off topic to the most further corners of the world. They do mostly all the classics too.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭souleater3000

While I don't mind the Game Grumps at times, they never seem to finish any of the games they start. My personal fav is http://www.youtube.com/user/HellfireComms they do live streams aswell which are always fun too

While I don't mind the Game Grumps at times, they never seem to finish any of the games they start. My personal fav is http://www.youtube.com/user/HellfireComms they do live streams aswell which are always fun too

I usually don't even care what they play, as it does get most funny when they goo completely off topic.

Advertisement