Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portlaoise residents Living in a battlefield

Options
  • 19-06-2013 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

See below article from this weeks Leinster Express. Has anyone any other bad experiences of dealing with Clement Herron in relation to his management of tenants?

http://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/local/portlaoise-residents-living-in-a-battlefield-1-5195855
    Published on 19/06/2013 15:42

Residents of a Portlaoise estate are “at the end of their tether” because of troublesome neighbours.

Homeowners in Abbey Court on the Abbeyleix road say they experienced assault, street brawls, loud parties, dangerous driving, illegal dumping, pet cruelty and damage to their properties, by tenants of three rented houses.

A pet kitten was killed by unleashed dogs as horrified children watched and rabbit skins were thrown in a neighbour’s trees after hunting sessions. One tenant even built a shebeen in their back garden.

<modsnip>

[MOD]

In line with site policy regarding Sherlock's Law, most of the article quoted above has been removed.
    The full article can be read at the posted link.

[/MOD]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I must ask why you named the agent but didn't mention where the residants have a problem with the garda and also blame them. From my reading of the piece the "troublesome" neighbours seem to be ignored by the garda and when crimes are committed ( property damage etc ) nothing seems to be done by the garda.

I can understand the agent being mentioned but does he not need a concrete reason to put them out, as in valid complaints to the garda that have been proved ?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

surely the agent must approve with his clients who rents their houses?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    surely the agent must approve with his clients who rents their houses?

Ya i'd say so, but anyone can put on a good face for a meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Christ that's piss poor. I pity the decent folk in that estate.

Ya i'd say so, but anyone can put on a good face for a meeting.

My point is...how is it the agents fault?

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    My point is...how is it the agents fault?

Oh i agree, thats why i think the initial post is misleading.

Oh i agree, thats why i think the initial post is misleading.

I can see the residents frustration and I guess the agent is the only accessible area the vent that frustration...but in my eyes it's the gardai they should be venting at

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭El Camino

The Gardaí are in a difficult position. They have reduced resources and do the best they can. Despite this, the fact that it took such a number of weeks to attend the scene of a number of incidents is nonetheless disappointing. The reason for the residents focus on Clement Herron is clearly evident from his response which was also published in the Leinster Express.

Some of the key quotes from which include

"These people bought in a ghost estate, now they are caught."

"I don't have any hard evidence or facts, I wasn't there (at incidents)."

"I am not responsible for their behaviour. The buck stops with the owners."

"There are a couple of busy bodies writing letters, there is not a whole pile we can do."

He shows a clear lack of respect for the residents and his response appears to indicate that he will not be changing his ways anytime soon.

What options are available to try and make him take a more responsible approach with regard to such incidences?

Sorry but 'his ways'?

I thought it's obvious from what was posted that the agent is sub ordinate to the owners.

Is it the agents fault or the owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭El Camino

Yes the letting agent may be sub-ordinate to the owners but I don't believe that is the case when the owners have placed Mr. Herron in complete control of management of the properties, including those which remain vacant.

The original builder of the development is the owner of the troublesome properties. The builder has effectively rented out some of the otherwise vacant properties. There are other rented properties in the development and the owners of these manage the properties and tenants with no problems. It is only the properties managed by Mr. Herron that prove to be troublesome.

It's also not possible to get in touch with the owner/developer as he has effectively walked away from the development. The residents have had to pursue the release of the development bond to ensure that the estate, roads, lighting etc was finished off.

I'm just putting the feelers out to see whether anyone else has had similar problems or possibly any ideas as to how such a situation could be rectified.

• Advertisement

El Camino from reading your posts here i believe you won't be swayed on who you believe is at fault here.

Are you living in this area and are you one of the residants or do you have a connection to them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Yes ,the letting agent may have a part to play but at the end of the day the residents motto to the landlord should be...'UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO LIVE BESIDE THE TENANTS YOURSELF DO NOT INFLICT THEM ON OTHERS' Unfortunately ,in this banana republic of ours,many people 'bought' houses with stupid bankers money and are at a stage now where they will let them to any Tom,Dick or Harry without any care for the local community.This carry- on is seen in all towns around the country.Its no good blaming the Gardai,the problem lies with the 'owner' first and foremost and secondly with the letting agent.

Advertisement