Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical Violin Lessons?

Options
  • 19-06-2013 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm looking for someone who teaches classical violin in the Galway city area. I've poked around the internet a little bit but couldn't really find much outside of fiddle lessons and some semester based courses that are ran in GTI.

Ideally I'd find someone who is based close to the city, offers one-to-one lessons and can teach those at a beginner level :D

Appreciate any help with this - my next move is to ask around various music shops in town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

eamonrabbitte.com
    There is also Liz, she's a boards member.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Is there a big difference between learning the fundamentals of fiddle and violin playing? If you learned the fiddle and that type of music would you be well on your way to being able to play classical, or would it essentially ruin you for playing classical?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

ScumLord wrote: »
    Is there a big difference between learning the fundamentals of fiddle and violin playing? If you learned the fiddle and that type of music would you be well on your way to being able to play classical, or would it essentially ruin you for playing classical?

Probably not the bolded parts.:)
    Some might argue that it would be like taking a different fork in the road.
    Even within fiddle traditions, there is a huge variety like bowing technique etc.
    I'd say it would be no harm if you had the basics of one to take another, but they are definitely different disciplines. (IMO)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement