Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition issued to wind up Waterford Utd over 50k

Options
  • 19-06-2013 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

A previous manager Stephen Henderson is apparently owed about 50,000 by the club, his legal representatives have gone to court to force the issue. The board is meeting tonight.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ouch. Hope the club pulls through.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Club Statement;
    Having been today made aware of Stephen Henderson’s petition to wind up the club, negotiations have been opened between both parties.

Waterford United is confident that a successful resolution will be found that will be acceptable and that a proud 83 year tradition of soccer in Waterford as well as over twenty jobs, will be protected and maintained into the future.

http://www.waterford-united.ie/waterford-united-statement-3/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

Would love to know how much a successful resolution is going to cost the club, doubt we will ever know .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It's madness to think that the same money that Danny Higginbotham makes in a month is potentially enough to close the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

madness aright they shuda paid there bills then and not let it accumalate to this madness with legal fees ,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

hopefully this can be sorted, i cant imagine the club would be so silly as to sack someone without being able to pay off the person, standard practice these days. Something else here we are missing??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Just looking for more info on Waterford United.

Are they full time?

What type of wages do they pay to players? what would the highest earner be on?

Are they still in the second division?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Just looking for more info on Waterford United.

Are they full time?

What type of wages do they pay to players? what would the highest earner be on?

Are they still in the second division?

No they aren't full time. A lot of players have jobs and the rest would be inbetween jobs.

I have no idea of how much a player earns but I could only imagine it would be a couple of hundred euros max. Depends on how good the player is tho.

They play in the LOI 1st Div which is in class the second div

cococoady wrote: »
    No they aren't full time. A lot of players have jobs and the rest would be inbetween jobs.

I have no idea of how much a player earns but I could only imagine it would be a couple of hundred euros max. Depends on how good the player is tho.

They play in the LOI 1st Div which is in class the second div

Who owns the club? have they got a steady fan base? thanks for previous answeres!

Who owns the club? have they got a steady fan base? thanks for previous answeres!

To be honest I don't actually know who OWNS the club but John O'Sullivan from Sullys Snooker Hall is the chairman and then there is the managing committee who are made up prominently of local business men.

The fan base isn't the best. Average attendances are approx 5/600. There are probably 300 of what you would call, hardcore supporters who are at nearly all games with the rest as I would call casuals.

There doesn't seem to be an interest from the people of Waterford to support the club. They would rather sit at home and watch the premier league over in England than go down the road to the RSC to cheer on their local club. We call these supporters Barstoolers. You will see a lot of these next month when Man Utd come over for a friendly game.
    Then you have the GAA fans who also don't seem to care.

It's a real pity that it has come to this. 20 to 30 years ago the club used to get 20,000 or so people thru the gates of kilcohan pk (so I have been told) to watch the games.

Can I ask is there any reason for all the questions?

• Advertisement

cococoady wrote: »
    To be honest I don't actually know who OWNS the club but John O'Sullivan from Sullys Snooker Hall is the chairman and then there is the managing committee who are made up prominently of local business men.

The fan base isn't the best. Average attendances are approx 5/600. There are probably 300 of what you would call, hardcore supporters who are at nearly all games with the rest as I would call casuals.

There doesn't seem to be an interest from the people of Waterford to support the club. They would rather sit at home and watch the premier league over in England than go down the road to the RSC to cheer on their local club. We call these supporters Barstoolers. You will see a lot of these next month when Man Utd come over for a friendly game.
    Then you have the GAA fans who also don't seem to care.

It's a real pity that it has come to this. 20 to 30 years ago the club used to get 20,000 or so people thru the gates of kilcohan pk (so I have been told) to watch the games.

Can I ask is there any reason for all the questions?

Im thinking about investing:D No i just saw the topic and think its a shame like you say, i was just trying to think why its failing, Im not from here either so i dont know all the bits and peaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

when Waterford United were one of the top teams in the country, they had massive crowds.....where did all the money go??? they had no ground and were using a greyhound stadium for years.....I hope the club survives, but "tradition" wont keep it going...it needs level-headed business people to take it by the scruff....

when Waterford United were one of the top teams in the country, they had massive crowds.....where did all the money go??? they had no ground and were using a greyhound stadium for years.....I hope the club survives, but "tradition" wont keep it going...it needs level-headed business people to take it by the scruff....

I agree, however people who are in business will look on an investment on the basis of what they will get in return, I would love to go and support them more and hopefully i will in the near future, I dont wear football Jerseys but if i was going to buy one i would buy a Waterford soccer jersey before i would buy a Man Utd or Arsenal, Its a pitty alot more soccer fans dont do the same, to develop the game here and more players who might go on and develop into professionals, I suppose investment would depend on the love for the game and Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Time to fold as the people running it haven't got a clue,some have a few yoo yoos to throw in and think they are god's.

I'm not sure whether people here comment are active followers of the club - watching every game, going to most matches away & home, buying the jersey and the match programme etc. but if your just 'Barstoolers' as was the term thrown in earlier I think its a little unfair to pass judgement.

The only people who can pass judgement, in my view, should be those fans who go to the matches, spend the money and so on.

That's just my take on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I spent many years going to watch the Blues play i loved it, the only down side was my ass getting froze on a freezing friday night. Such a shame all the same if the club does fold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Was a season ticket holder for 8 years from the age of 13-21, sadly the bar work doesn't help with my attendance these days. Ill hold my tongue on the current situation and just say I hope a resolution will be found and the club survives, which Im sure it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

a good place for all of us to start would be to go to the games and like myself if lately due to family commitiments you struggle to get down there, sign up for the club lotto.

Maybe upcoming fixtures thread should be posted on here, a little bit of exposure for the club and encouragement to help the club.

Maybe a team sheet posting a player rating etc etc, now i know this might be condidered for a football section but for me the idea is to attrack the interest of locals who dont know much about their local team or go to games and would begin to show more interest if the info was fed to them.

Is there alcohol served in the stadium? is there Tea Coffee food like a hot food stand? just general info. I would really like to show more interest in them and get the kids to go more often, thanks for the info.

There used to be a guy who posted up links to the match commentary, not sure what the story with them is these days.

• Advertisement

Match commentaries are for away matches only , club won't allow RADIO DBSC on USTREAM to broadcast home games , this station also broadcasts Waterford Wolves American Football Games Home and Away . Waterford Utd needs to be a lot more open with its fans and stop constantly putting barriers up between them .

decies wrote: »
    Match commentaries are for away matches only , club won't allow RADIO DBSC on USTREAM to broadcast home games , this station also broadcasts Waterford Wolves American Football Games Home and Away . Waterford Utd needs to be a lot more open with its fans and stop constantly putting barriers up between them .

Does WLR still broadcast games?

Okay well maybe we need to start a thread up here for the club in general, as a local support.

Up coming games, asking people to come out and support the team, team sheets etc etc

Sully wrote: »
    Does WLR still broadcast games?
    No they stopped doing that

There used to be a guy who posted up links to the match commentary, not sure what the story with them is these days.

As far as I know he was either banned or warned by a mod for posting the links up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

decies wrote: »
    Match commentaries are for away matches only , club won't allow RADIO DBSC on USTREAM to broadcast home games ,

The fact that the club are probably working in line with media broadcasting regulations is why they're not allowed. They don't have any FAI accreditation to do it as far as I know because technically they're still considered to be broadcasting media.

Waterford United v Crystal Palace at the RSC on August 3. Kick off is 6pm
    Friendly announced today .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

I'm not sure whether people here comment are active followers of the club - watching every game, going to most matches away & home, buying the jersey and the match programme etc. but if your just 'Barstoolers' as was the term thrown in earlier I think its a little unfair to pass judgement.

The only people who can pass judgement, in my view, should be those fans who go to the matches, spend the money and so on.

That's just my take on it.

Theres a whole boards football forum dedicated to people who are passing judgement on British clubs that they have never seen playing in the flesh in their life

dzilla wrote: »
    Theres a whole boards football forum dedicated to people who are passing judgement on British clubs that they have never seen playing in the flesh in their life

Does that mean its ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

the town has no appetite for waterford united anymore..i wouldnt bat an eye lid if they went to the wall.

Advertisement