Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hooking my computer up to my tv...

Options
  • 19-06-2013 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Ok, you may recognise the name her- yes I have posted many of these before to do with various tv's and laptops but right now I'm trying to hook my tv up to my computer.

Specifics:

-This is a Dell computer (can't tell you what year unless you can direct me to a button I can press that tells me the specifics of my computer... Yes I am that hopeless)

-Sony Bravia tv

-Sony S-Master surround sound yoke

-and a very long hdmi cable

I want to hook up the computer to the tv but when I do no sound comes out, only picture. I've solved this problem before by just using the computer speakers as sound but I don't want to do that anymore.
    To get sound I was hoping to use the surround sound system. There are 3 places on the s-master where I can put the hdmi: "DVD IN" or "Video 2/ BD IN" or "OUT".

So I've manually gone through all the channels on the s-master (VIDEO 1, VIDEO 2, DVD, SAT, TV, SA-CD/CD) and all the AV's on the tv (AV1-6 and "PC") and slot the cable into each socket going through all these channels but nothing came up on the screen.

The hdmi on the other end is hooked up to the right socket in the computer because a) it worked when I hooked it up directly to the tv (but no sound) and b) there is only one place to put it...

So has anyone done this before and got it working?? How?

Or alternatively, how can I hook it the hdmi directly to the tv and get sound too? (I have other wires so it shouldn't be a problem if I need them)

Please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Depending on your operating system (Windows/Mac/LInux) you may well have to change a setting to force audio via HDMI when connected to your tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

That or your graphics card isnt able to do sound over HDMI/DVI

DVI doesn't carry audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

So what wire do I need to get sound from the computer to the tv or surround sound if the hdmi won't work?

excollier wrote: »
    Depending on your operating system (Windows/Mac/LInux) you may well have to change a setting to force audio via HDMI when connected to your tv.

How do I do that?

• Advertisement

Not really sure> I guess you use Windows of some vintage, so I cannot help specifically, but someone here will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

LazyClouds wrote: »
    How do I do that?

It should be on your list of "playback devices"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

degsie wrote: »
    It should be on your list of "playback devices"

There are two options.

A. Plug sound device into audio Jack (earphones) on laptop.

It appears that said is currently set up to go this way, as per PC speakers.

B. Send sound through hdmi and on from TV.
    To do thus you need to go to Control panel, sound and then configure playback though HDMI.

My PC actually has two different sound cards, one for digital HDMI, one for analogue from earphone Jack. I can configure that both are active and then select from volume control which device to use.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    There are two options.

A. Plug sound device into audio Jack (earphones) on laptop.

It appears that said is currently set up to go this way, as per PC speakers.

B. Send sound through hdmi and on from TV.
    To do thus you need to go to Control panel, sound and then configure playback though HDMI.

My PC actually has two different sound cards, one for digital HDMI, one for analogue from earphone Jack. I can configure that both are active and then select from volume control which device to use.

YESSSSSS THANAKKK YOUOUOUUUUU

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Connect Your Computer and TV Via a Hdmi
    and Plug speakers in to the jack in your laptop

• Advertisement

Ok guys. Configuring the sound through the HDMI worked perfectly till now when it's magically not working anymore... The screen is visible on the tv but no sound. In the sound section of control panel it says the hdmi cable isn't plugged in BUT IT IS PLUGGED IN. Any suggestions on how to correct this would be greatly appreciated again. Thanks.

>:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

The HDMI cable might be dodgy.
    Buy a cheap one for 3 quid on eBay and try it out.
    FYI in have got 3 HDMI cables for cheap for consoles laptops ect and their all working perfectly

Well mine is about 20 odd feet long... I need it long to hook the tv up to the pc cos the only laptops we have in the house are only notebooks and they dont have hdmi jacks.

Long HDMI cables can be problematic, I've had my fair share of trouble installing HDMI distribution for satellite tv, where different receivers give varying results.
    Same, possibly, for computer HDMI outputs. One suggestion I will suggest is a cheap wireless keybooard and mouse together with a short HDMI lead, placing the laptop beside the tv. Borrow the keyboard/mouse first, to test the set up, if you know someone with one.
    Worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

excollier wrote: »
    DVI doesn't carry audio.

Yes it does, at least I have audio when I connect my TV to my computer via HDMI to HDMI-to-DVI-adaptor to a DVI port on my GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    Yes it does, at least I have audio when I connect my TV to my computer via HDMI to HDMI-to-DVI-adaptor to a DVI port on my GPU.

That's a GPU specific feature; it's not a part of the DVI specification.
    If you have a compatible GPU it can detect if you're using DVI to HDMI, and then interleave the audio on the data stream, just like HDMI does.
    The problem is not every graphics card supports it.

Advertisement