Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Broker in Limerick

• 19-06-2013 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I need to insure my house/contents. Can anyone recommend a good broker in Limerick to source a competitive quote?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Try O'Malley Griffin on lower Mallow street, I find them very good and usually very competitive price wise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Would an insurance broker give a better price on car insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

I used to use a broker but I discovered he only dealt with a few insurance companies, I felt I wasn't getting the best quotes and luckily the internet age arrived, I started doing my own searches for quotations and I''m wiling to move to where ever I get the best deal/package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are plenty of insurance brokers listed in the goldenpages.ie

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

phog wrote: »
    I used to use a broker but I discovered he only dealt with a few insurance companies, I felt I wasn't getting the best quotes and luckily the internet age arrived, I started doing my own searches for quotations and I''m wiling to move to where ever I get the best deal/package.

The other issue with brokers is that they add their own comission to the quoted price. I've been insuring both my house and car online for the last 3-4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The other issue with brokers is that they add their own comission to the quoted price. I've been insuring both my house and car online for the last 3-4 years.

No they don't.

They get paid commission on the premium, and may add a brokerage fee.

All things are negotiable too.

No they don't.

They get paid commission on the premium, and may add a brokerage fee.

All things are negotiable too.

What's the difference between commission and a brokerage fee? It's still an extra charge above the cost of the insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

What's the difference between commission and a brokerage fee? It's still an extra charge above the cost of the insurance.

I sell things to the public for say €300, I also sell the same product to traders for say €240.

Sometimes the traders undercut me and might sell for under €300.

The point being the broker may be in a position to undercut the insurance company.

I bought an insurance product through a broker once where he charged me less than I would have paid online.

There is no guarantee that a broker will end up costing you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Wilbert13

bigpink wrote: »
    Would an insurance broker give a better price on car insurance?

Possibly but usually online is cheaper. Brokers have access to some companies that do not deal directly with the public so certain risks may be cheaper with brokers.

Broker's commission is included in the premium so not an extra charge. Brokerage fee if applicable should be agreed between broker and client prior to cover being placed.

Your main advantage with a broker is in the event that you would have a claim. There is approx. a 20% difference between a payment for a claim made directly and through a broker for the same loss.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Commission is a % of the premium, and a fee may be chargeable on top of the premium.

You said they charge commission on top of the premium, which is incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Commission is a % of the premium, and a fee may be chargeable on top of the premium.

You said they charge commission on top of the premium, which is incorrect.

Surely if you don't go through a broker you don't pay the brokers commission therefore your premium is cheaper.
    Anyways my point to the OP was that in my experience spending an hour getting quotes online will get you cheaper insurance than going through a broker. Cutting out the middle man is always cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Surely if you don't go through a broker you don't pay the brokers commission therefore your premium is cheaper.
    Anyways my point to the OP was that in my experience spending an hour getting quotes online will get you cheaper insurance than going through a broker. Cutting out the middle man is always cheaper.

Not always, as I said above the middleman can offer my product for less than I will sell to the public for.

I've also bought insurance products cheaper through brokers before.

Not necessarily.

If you think you can do better than using a broker in an hour then best of luck to you, but I wouldn't like to be dealing with an anonymous call centre if you've a significant claim.

Insurance companies love dealing directly with the public for claims because they can get away with a bit of spiel and knock down the settlement.

Also, cover can vary significantly between online policies and policies taken out directly with an insurance company/through a broker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

The reason I was wondering with the huge increase in online insurance,that the brokers may have fought back in the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Widescreen

As far as house insurance goes I think you should always go where you will get good cover and good,accessible customer service. At the end of the day the household insurance is to ensure a household catastrophe does not clean you out not a legal requirement like car insurance.I will probably go with the broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

go to getcover.ie, they are brilliant and the cheapest for house insurance, Brittian insurance is cheapest for car. , stay away from brokers and do the leg work yourself it will save you a load of money,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Goggins Insurance brokers in NCW are very good and extremely nice to deal with

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

my dad uses Cullen in Newport is brill for all insurance needs

Beaver1 wrote: »
    go to getcover.ie, they are brilliant and the cheapest for house insurance, Brittian insurance is cheapest for car. , stay away from brokers and do the leg work yourself it will save you a load of money,

Poor advice and it can't be justified either I reckon.

Poor advice and it can't be justified either I reckon.

explain, how is it poor advice, its from my personal experience, getcover.ie, is the cheapest around for house insurance and do you think brokers are working for nothing, prove me wrong and come back with your smart comments, :D

explain, how is it poor advice, its from my personal experience, getcover.ie, is the cheapest around for house insurance and do you think brokers are working for nothing, prove me wrong and come back with your smart comments, :D

Getcover and other direct writers don't work for nothing either. Good brokers can and do compete on price. Your motor broker is a good example.

My motor cover is with a broker too and I've just checked with getcover and others and guess what? I've better cover for less.

Whilst you got a cheaper quote with a direct writer, I got the opposite, so it's incorrect to say that going direct is always cheapest.

p.s. There's nothing "smart" in any of my comments here. Merely pointing out a few relevant things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

A good broker should be able to get you a great rate but more importantly offer advice on the right level of insurance.

In the event of a claim a broker can act on your behalf.

I recommend ODonovan insurances in Killaloe. Sheamus is a top notch guy and won't see you wrong.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dnm1234

+1 for Sheamus O'Donovan. I have been dealing with them for donkeys and have always gotten great advice on small print issues. In the event of a recent claim they fought my corner to get a more that satisfactory resolution. That extra service will never be forgotten and would haven't been received from direct insurers....

Getcover and other direct writers don't work for nothing either. Good brokers can and do compete on price. Your motor broker is a good example.

My motor cover is with a broker too and I've just checked with getcover and others and guess what? I've better cover for less.

Whilst you got a cheaper quote with a direct writer, I got the opposite, so it's incorrect to say that going direct is always cheapest.

p.s. There's nothing "smart" in any of my comments here. Merely pointing out a few relevant things.
    you sound like a broker, put up both quotes and let people make up their own minds. at the moment everything you say is just hearsay, I got 160,000k house insurance and 16k contents for €204.07 and its as good as any other policy and better than most for terms and conditions from getcover.

Without the full details those figures are meaningless.

What I'm saying isn't hearsay, it's my opinion.

I'll think i'll leave it at that though as my point is made.

But Britton Ins. are brokers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement