Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next of Kin IRISH LAW :)

Options
  • 19-06-2013 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey all, my first post here.

My question is plain and simple.

My gran uncle has a non blood relative (his dead spouses nephew) a his next of kin for everything.

My grandmother however, is the closest family member related to him by blood and is never told anything about his health etc at his nursing home which she finds quiet disheartening.

My gran uncle is one hundred percent in his senses, but is a very vunerable person easily led.

Even though he nominated this person as his next of kin, does the Irish Law override this and thus give my grandmother preference?

Thanks a million in advance for your answers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

If the grand-Uncle has formally nominated another individual as his next of in, (i.e. in a kind of 'living will' scenario) this over-rides the blood relationship.

However, protection from oneself and being 'easily led' is an ailment beyond the reach of the legal system. Even if your Grandmother were the next of kin, she has no legal remedy to any foolish decisions her relatives may take within the parameters of the law and her relatives' own medical capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Once he is in his full sense, I wouldn't imagine your grandmother can over ride anything

Advertisement