Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willow Tree has been Invaded!

• 19-06-2013 8:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Pretty much has the title says, my willow tree has been taken over by these critters. There are literally hundreds of them and they are carving up the tree, leaf by leaf, branch by branch.

I have tried knocking them off but it is an endless task. Any better and more permanent solutions out there?

IMAG0780_zps8d73bb3a.jpg

IMAG0779_zps3e56bd45.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

looks like sawfly larva
    you will need a pesticide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Yep sawfly, even if they do eat all the leaves (and they will if left unchecked) the tree will recover. You can powerhose them off or spray with a pesticide. Prune the tree in winter to get some air moving through it, sawfly don't like wind, oh and the larva will be in the ground at the base of the tree so keep an eye for the little feckers and spray early next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

they also like birch and hazel. I picked them off the birch as soon as they appeared as tiny catapillers, and after a couple of years of close monitoring they disappeared. the tree will recover but get/pick them off now, the bigger they are the more they eat.

Looks like a kilmarnock, i would hesitate to prune it for air. picking them off is easy given that the tree is short.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had them on a birch a few years back - i pulled off the leaves they were on and left them under the bird feeders. was about half an hour's work, and the birds seemed to appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

I have a similar problem with aphids on my willow trees.

A nightmare.

I tried the washing up liquid method but maybe used too much as the leaves have appeared to dry up pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

An alternative to spraying with a mild soapy solution, is crushed garlic soaked in water and makes an excellent deterrent spray especially for aphids.

Otherwise offenders are easily removed with a water hose.

As suggested, thinning and removing some branches to remove congestion and reduce shelter will also help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Yep sawfly, even if they do eat all the leaves (and they will if left unchecked) the tree will recover. You can powerhose them off .

I concur.... We had them same issue and i power washed the tree around four or five times plus cut some branches and allowed the wind to flow through which worked a treat :)

Advertisement