Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

efibre installation - phone sockets

Options
  • 19-06-2013 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

My question is as regards the need to replace the phone socket in your house, as well as the compatibility of existing wiring. 

My house is setup as follows : 
    - Main telephone socket in the hall
    - Extension cable ran from the hall socket to the living room (was initially for sky but I have my ADSL modem connected here)
    - Telephone socket in the office upstairs (my ADSL modem works here also)

So I know the phone socket on the wall needs to be replaced to upgrade but the technician who visited my house today told me that both the other socket in the office plus the extension cable won't work. That the wiring within the wall plus the extension cable (which is a standard cable) are not compatible with efibre.

Is this the case? I thought they were standard RJ11 / twisted pair cables?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi thesteve,

I am looking into this at the moment for you and will come back with an answer soon.

Thanks

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Thanks Tracey,

after some reading it seems that the socket in the office won't work as efibre delivers telephone over VOIP and hence the phone needs to be plugged into the router (I didn't know voice would change to VOIP as a part of this).

But I still need an answer on the extension cable to the living room :)

Thanks!
    Steve

Ok no problem,

I will keeping looking into this for you and come back to you when I have an answer :)

Thanks

Tracey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

thesteve wrote: »
    Thanks Tracey,

after some reading it seems that the socket in the office won't work as efibre delivers telephone over VOIP and hence the phone needs to be plugged into the router (I didn't know voice would change to VOIP as a part of this).

But I still need an answer on the extension cable to the living room

Thanks!
    Steve
    Wait...telephone is going to be over VOIP? What exactly does this mean? Does this mean that I will have to get a VOIP telephone and then use some sort of VOIP application on the computer e.g. Skype? Or will I not actually perceive any change, it will seem to me like service as usual, sorta like the switchover from analogue to digital (where, as long as you already had digital ready equipment, you wouldn't actually notice any real change).

Hi RikuoAmero,

The Fibre to the cabinet service you get to keep the analogue service as it is, no changes are made to this.

Thanks

Tracey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Bsal

Any extensions from the main socket for fibre require a minimum of a CAT5E cable or better. I was told by an Eircom technician that it would cost 80-100 euro to run a line from my hall to my bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

the NTU (new point for modem) is the only point the fibre modem will work on because it has a built filter that is necessary for allowing vdsl connections to work

"It has an internal splitter support both a VDSL2 connection and
    POTS on the same copper pair from the cabinet.
    "

the other phone points dont have this filter and that is why the modem wont work on those points

read this pdf and it will explain it to ya
    http://www.jeacle.ie/pub/articles/nga/kj-nga-ilug.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

the NTU (new point for modem) is the only point the fibre modem will work on because it has a built filter that is necessary for allowing vdsl connections to work

"It has an internal splitter support both a VDSL2 connection and
    POTS on the same copper pair from the cabinet."

the other phone points dont have this filter and that is why the modem wont work on those points

read this pdf and it will explain it to ya
    http://www.jeacle.ie/pub/articles/nga/kj-nga-ilug.pdf
    Thanks for your input here Freddy Smelly

If anybody experiences issues with efibre connection you can also contact support on 1890260260

Al

Thanks for the detail Freddy. One other question though, can't those phone points also be swapped out?

Bsal wrote: »
    Any extensions from the main socket for fibre require a minimum of a CAT5E cable or better. I was told by an Eircom technician that it would cost 80-100 euro to run a line from my hall to my bedroom.

Yeah but I'm not talking about running a network cable from the hall to the living room, I'm talking about putting the modem in the living room.

When you connect from the new phone socket to the modem, it's using a standard RJ11 phone cable right? What's the difference in using a 20 foot cable instead of the 3 foot cable supplied with the modem?

• Advertisement

Friendly ping.

Advertisement