Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to place ad on daft

Options
  • 19-06-2013 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

im 35 female and have been renting for the last 12 years in cork. i have to rent as i cant afford to buy or even rent an apartment/ flat on my own. at this stage in my life i just want to be able to share a house with normal regular people! iv lived with all sorts - noisy/ nosey/ alcoholics/ theives/ weirdos/ people who cant speak english/ people who dont know where the vacum is etc. etc. iv had to move house twice and other times these people have either moved on themselves or the landlord had to get rid of them.
    i want to know can i advertise a room on daft or whatever without being called a racist/ accused of being discriminative etc. as i said im 35 and just want to live in peace without having to lock my room door or worry if the other housemates have locked the front door or turned off gas. i might put something in the ad like ; room available to rent in a QUIET/ NON SMOKING HOUSE. share with 35 female. irish, working professionals only, male or female. if you have a boyfriend/girlfriend/ friend that is in the house more often than not, then they will be expected to contribute towards the bills. and they have no say over whats on tv!
    i really dont think im asking too much for a bit of peace and quiet, do you?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I think honestly you won't be happy until living on your own. You may have to make some sacrifices in the size and/or location of where you can live.

House sharing is a bit of a Russian roulette, but you know that already, even if you got exactly the housemate you wanted on paper, you may still find something that bothers you about living with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

The perfect housemate doesn't exist. That I do know. Everyone including yourself has some habit or similar that will irk the bejaysus out of someone else. Need to find a person whose 'habit' won't drive you demented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I agree, time to hang up the housesharIng boots, and do whatever you can to buy or rent a place of your own.

Btw that ad would be illegal under the Equal Status Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I think the others are right on this. You may have to move to a slightly less convienient location or make other sacrifices but at the end of the day at least you wouldn't have to worry about housemates.
    if you have a boyfriend/girlfriend/ friend that is in the house more often than not, then they will be expected to contribute towards the bills. and they have no say over whats on tv!

Also think this might be a bit harsh. Fair enough if they have partners over all the time they should contribute however if they're paying towards the bills (that include tv) then why should they have no say in it? May look like a minor, jokey thing but you could end up putting a lot of people off with a comment like that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If you rent a property and then look for flatmates yourself, you can show the room to people and just offer it to the person you think most meets your criteria. When looking for new housemates in the past, I've always had a chat with the people viewing it to see if I think I'd get on with them. Obviously there's things you can't tell, like how clean they'll be, but you can establish things like attitude, employment and level of English.

You can say in your ad that you're looking for a quiet, clean, professional housemate, but I don't think you'd get away with saying "Irish"!

But I also agree that it's probably time for you to get a place on your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

thanks for feedback! to be honest i wouldnt put that bit in about having partners/ mates around. I guess i was just venting there! It just gets frustrating at times, some people have no cop on! But i know too that there probably somethings i do that annoy the others!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

I've lived with a few irritants in my time. The best way to proceed is to do two things.

Firstly, interview all applicants, it's time consuming but if you set aside a few days and have prospective flatmates arrive at hourly intervals, it's worthwhile. Then you pick the one that you get on with best.
    Now I don't mean grill them or conduct formal interviews, but rather ask them if they'd like a tea of coffee and have a chat and get to know them a little bit, you'd be amazed what a cuppa and a chat can reveal, especially if you can get them talking about their previous flatmates.

Secondly, without any shame or embarrasment, draw up a list of house rules and make them part of the lease. There's no need to go all Sheldon on it, but lay out the basic expectations regarding guests, cleaning, parties and when rent is due and how bills are to be devided, then theres no misunderstandings or comeback later.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I have bad news for you.

As you move from being 20-something to 30-something, the number of people in your age group who are nice, normal and looking for a houseshare situation decreases drastically, as they buy houses or move in with partners. But the number of nut-jobs, weirdos etc does not decrease.

The net effect is that the proportion of weirdos etc in the market to house-share at your age increases dramatically.

One option to find normal people is to be willing to to share with separated people who have their kids to stay every weekend. But that's an option which has certain challenges as well.

This is why you will most probably end up living alone. (Yes, I've been there)

Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The easiest way to advertise surely would be to word the ad akin to a personal ad, find a way to put in what you are and say you're looking for a similar person to move in? Much more casual and less likely to break laws?

Advertisement