Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kerry Way Ultra Sept 6/7 2013

Options
  • 19-06-2013 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Some of you have may heard of this but no thread on it.
    http://www.kerrywayultra.com/

There was a thread last year for the two lads who did it which I can't find at the minute.
    I've signed up, no target in mind other than getting to the end in one piece and enjoying the journey there.
    Looking forward to the training runs for this, plan on breaking it down into segments to work out what to drop at each checkpoint.
    Additional route information available here:http://www.kerryway.com
    There's also a facebook page for Q&A
    A not for profit race with proceeds going to trail development.

Disclaimer: I've no involvement in the organising of this event, I'm simply a participant and think it is a worthy event at a reasonable price.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Thinking about this one! Would be great to run in the first ever race of the entire Kerry Way.

120 miles would be a major step up in terms of mileage for me though.
    Registration for Kerry Way Ultra 2013 will only be possible for competitors who hold the necessary qualifications - completion of 2 marathons or 1 x 50mile ultra or 1 x 100k ultra in the calendar year of 6/9/12 to 5/9/13

b.harte, just wondering how do they check this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Enduro

This does indeed look like a super race. I always reckoned this could make for a classic race on an international scale, given the size of the route and its location. So it was great to see someone decide to organise it.

I've no involvment in the organisation, but I have been in email contact with the organisers. They seem like great people. They're also very responsive to suggestions on how the race could be improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

b.harte, just wondering how do they check this?

I know when I filled in the online form there was a field for putting in past qualifying events. i would imagine that if you put down an event they couldn't check online they may request additional information. But, truth be told, I don't actually know. I had been in contact with the organisers as soon as I got wind of this earlier this year, so I knew what qualifying standards were in place. I think the dates given are significant as well, the dingle ultra 50 mile from last year is just inside the accepted period.
    Enduro wrote: »
    This does indeed look like a super race. I always reckoned this could make for a classic race on an international scale, given the size of the route and its location. So it was great to see someone decide to organise it.

I've no involvment in the organisation, but I have been in email contact with the organisers. They seem like great people. They're also very responsive to suggestions on how the race could be improved.

I would agree with this, I called down to the shop one day to introduce myself after exchanging emails and they were very enthusiastic, and have an obvious passion for seeing the kerry-way getting the exposure.
    Hopefully this event will be the start of something good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Starting and ending in Killarney town, with a maximum race time of 40 hours, this event is open to runners who have completed at least two marathons since Sept 2012, one 50 mile event or one 100k event. It is a single stage, self-sufficient ultramarathon, with limited access for race support crews.

This is the text on the website. The post above has an "or" after the having run 2 marathons section changing the actual criteria. I went and had a look myself because I couldnt believe they would let someone run this on the strenght of 2 marathons. Even a 50 mile or 100k is a massive leap to this. All the best to anyone doing it.

Just received an email from the event organizers regarding UTMB points allocation for this race:
    We are awaiting confirmation from the UTMB about the points allocation as with the distance involved and the altitude gained, we think we will get 4 points for The KerryWayUltra! We hope that we will also be listed as a UTMB qualifying event straight away. This will be great for the event.

Great news and hope they are successful. It will certainly broaden the appeal of the race and will probably tempt a few runners from overseas to come and do it.

• Advertisement

What is the altitude gained over the whole course, anyone work it out?

What is the altitude gained over the whole course, anyone work it out?
    http://www.kerryway.com/trail-description/index.php

I added the individual legs and got 4990 :( couldn't even make it an even 5k :D

Somebody bring a Garmin on the day... then we'll know for next year!

(There is no definitive answer by the way... it all depends on how it is measured, and more pertinantly, the precision of the measuring system. The more precise, the more the height gain).

b.harte wrote: »

Its not a huge amount really, especially in Kerry but then again in fairness I guess it is designed to be accessible rather than challenging.

While all the attention focusses on the area around Killarney and through the National Park, there are some other pretty sensational stretches of it, Kenmare Tahilla and the stages around the end of the peninsula are just beautiful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

That can't be right. I ran from Caragh Lake to Caherciveen on the Kerry Way a couple of years ago and that alone was somewhere around 4k or 5k feet elevation change, maybe a tad less.

It must add up to significantly more on the entire loop.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing that it would be meters. I haven't heard anyone give an elevation figure in feet (outside of the U.S. and U.K.) in decades.

Enduro wrote: »
    I'm guessing that it would be meters. I haven't heard anyone give an elevation figure in feet (outside of the U.S. and U.K.) in decades.

Ah! I'm obviously spending way too much time reading race reports from American trail ultras. It didn't even occur to me that it might be anything but feet - and that from someone who grew up with the metric system :eek:

Ah jaysus did ye not even click on the link? :-D
    Yes it was metric
    I've an external power source for my 310, currently good for 40+ hrs but the ant agent crashes when I try to drag it from the watch. Trying to find a work around.

Was talking to the very friendly and helpful Eileen, one of the organisers, just there. She informed me that there may be as many as eight bag drops throughout the course. Which is great news for someone like me who will probably have to do this one unsupported.

There are three bag drops listed on the website with a very big gap between the Glencar and Templenoe bag drops. So the addition of a few more is a great idea, I think.

Also, for anyone wondering the route is run anti-clockwise. So, looking at the map you run Killarney -> Glencar -> Glenbeigh etc

Kinda bricking it about running at night!:eek: I've only done it once so far and that was a group run. I'm sure there will be long stretches of running alone in the dark during this one so I must buy a head torch and get out in the hills for some practice.

Just a reminder that registration closes tonight for this one.

I still havent made up my mind :eek: I'm pretty worn out from a long weekend of looong running so dont know if I should go out and do something so soon that is this long :confused:

Go and sign up

We're all scared when signing up for events like that, but in the end it's always worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I still havent made up my mind :eek: I'm pretty worn out from a long weekend of looong running so dont know if I should go out and do something so soon that is this long :confused:

Go for it. Sure last week's jog was good prep. ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I'd usually be gung-ho in these instances but it's been 10 days since Belfast and I can still feel the tiredness in the legs and am experiencing some niggles since. I would never say not to do it but if you're having doubts after the weekends run then maybe consider leaving it. Who knows, maybe get a gang to do it over a couple of days later in the year and then come back and do the official event next year when you'll be fresher??

Thanks for the input lads! I was onto the organisers yesterday and explained the situation. They were very nice about it and are keeping a place for me so if I heal up in time I will defo head down and do it.

I've an external power source for my 310, currently good for 40+ hrs but the ant agent crashes when I try to drag it from the watch. Trying to find a work around.

40 hours? Whats your secret!?:eek:

I reckon I'll get about 16-17 hours out of my 310xt. I've been think about getting one of these portable usb chargers. Read about it here and it seems like it could do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I got 18hrs 35mins out of my 310XT in Belfast DSS so you should get a little longer than expected.

40 hours? Whats your secret!?:eek:

portable usb chargers.

Got it in one, or at least close enough.
    I have a 4x2500mah AA battery pack that I joined a usb connection to.
    It works a treat with the older forerunners (205 / 305) and you can read the display while charging.
    However the 310xt displays a charging message when powered externally. It records everything as usual, you just can't see it.
    The only solution is to disconnect (switch off) the external source and the display comes on automatically. I left it in the car for the duration of my test and it recorded the full track. The only anomaly was a spike in GPS which saw me off the east coast of Africa for about 6 seconds,
    It also proved tricky to get the file off the watch, ant agent kept crashing so I had to manually grab the .fit file and convert it to gpx.
    I'm toying with the idea of getting a QR mount and making up a set of contacts to mate with the watch, I can fit a simple toggle switch to turn it off to check progress, but with only few weeks left I may not have the time to do it.

On a side note, TKMAXX are now selling external chargers for IPODs etc which have a full size USB port, so that's an option. Thing they are <20 as well.
    I think it takes a about 4 hrs to charge from empty so a juice pack would work.

Bertie

It will be easy to spot Bertie during the Kerry Way ultra. He'll be the one wearing one of these :D
    d55892135ewatch.jpg

Cheers for the info though, a bit too techy for me so I may just end up bringing two watches! ;)

On another note, only 15 hardy souls have signed up for this one! So at least if you finish last you can still tell your friends you finished in the top 15 in one of the hardest ultras in Ireland! :p

It will be easy to spot Bertie during the Kerry Way ultra. He'll be the one wearing one of these :D
    d55892135ewatch.jpg
    Have you a link to the DCRainmaker review? :)
    And as for spotting me? With my fancy new lamp I'll be spotted from space. LED Lenser H14, the real one, not an ebay knock off.)

On another note, only 15 hardy souls have signed up for this one! So at least if you finish last you can still tell your friends you finished in the top 15 in one of the hardest ultras in Ireland! :p
    Yeah, It was hard to put numbers on this, I didn't think twice about it, possibly should have, but hey, you never know until you try, and it's local.
    Looking forward to it, doing night runs for the next while, if only I could get the zombie in the doorway scene from I am legend out of my head I'll be grand.:o:o

A few pics of my (latest rev 0.2) creation for anyone interested:(Slightly off topic)
    apo5.jpgoxru.jpg

All bits from Maplin, under a tenner (including battery which are buy one get one free!)
    Its a simple 5V regulator droping the 9v battery down, seeing a bit of spiking on it and don't want to risk damaging my watch so I'll drop in a zener diode over the next few days, the battery box is switched so I can kill it to check progress on the watch.
    Tyring to souce similar contact pins to the garmin charger but cant seem to find suitable ones, may have to rough it a bit and use a small cable tie to secure the points to the watch.
    It's a little bit on the large side, but I will be able to mount it onto the watch strap to keep it as tidy as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Good luck to anyone doing this! Would be great to get a few reports up afterwards.

Good luck to everyone doing it. Keep it nice and steady, and enjoy the course!

Only 15 starters. Heres hoping theres 15 finishers too!

Start list is here and will be updated with the results.

Best of luck everyone, defo on my list for 2014

Lucky 15. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Outside

Best of luck everyone, looking forward to hearing what it's like, it's on my bucket list!

Advertisement