Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query about CSOL eligibility - 457 visa??

Options
  • 19-06-2013 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

I have discovered that an occupation I have a relatively recent qualification for (2009) is on the CSOL. Now while the Australian immigration website is very comprehensive, it is, in fact so comprehensive that I have become bamboozled by all the links and information :) I'm guessing the appropriate visa subclass is the 457 sponsored visa, as this occupation is NOT on the SOL?

I have a couple of questions for the Wise Boardsies:
    • I have not worked in this particular occupation for over 2 years - does this make me ineligible from the word go, as I have no recent experience?
    • If I were still eligible, do I need definite sponsorship from an employer or State/Territory?
    • Assuming by some miracle I was granted a visa, must I work in this particular occupation once I get to Australia, or can I change it to work at ANY other occupation?
    And one other point:
    • My brother lives in WA and will become an official Australian citizen in the next few months. I know there is a family sponsored (work) visa , but my occupation is not on the SOL - does this rule out the Brother Factor as a stepping stone, or does someone know anything about that?
    Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I have discovered that an occupation I have a relatively recent qualification for (2009) is on the CSOL. Now while the Australian immigration website is very comprehensive, it is, in fact so comprehensive that I have become bamboozled by all the links and information :) I'm guessing the appropriate visa subclass is the 457 sponsored visa, as this occupation is NOT on the SOL?

I have a couple of questions for the Wise Boardsies:
    • I have not worked in this particular occupation for over 2 years - does this make me ineligible from the word go, as I have no recent experience?
    • If I were still eligible, do I need definite sponsorship from an employer or State/Territory?
    • Assuming by some miracle I was granted a visa, must I work in this particular occupation once I get to Australia, or can I change it to work at ANY other occupation?
    And one other point:
    • My brother lives in WA and will become an official Australian citizen in the next few months. I know there is a family sponsored (work) visa , but my occupation is not on the SOL - does this rule out the Brother Factor as a stepping stone, or does someone know anything about that?
    Thanks guys :)

Your brother can only assist you if you go for a skilled visa. He would b fit to give you 10 points towards the 60 required.

Only a employer can sponsor you on a 457. There is no state sponsorship for a 457.

Have your 2 years experience been in the last 5,8 or 10 years?

What is the occupation?

If you can get state sponsored for a skilled visa, you are only morally required to stay in the state, not leagly.

Again, we would need more info to give you a proper answer but if you occupation is not on the SOL then a skilled visa in not happening and a employer is required for 457 visas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Thanks Rightyabe,

The occupation is veterinary nursing, and my experience would be within the past 5 years. Also this qualification was obtained in New Zealand, if that makes any difference?

Yeah, I kinda I figured getting sponsorship from my brother would be out, as I gathered this type of 'advantage' is only relevant to the skilled visa, and vet nursing is not on the SOL, only the CSOL.

So if I did, hypothetically, find an employer to sponsor me as a vet nurse - am I obligated to only work as a vet nurse for the duration of my stay in Aus, or could I switch to any other CAREER, (eg general admin or something), if the new employer is willing to become my new sponsor for the 457? Or would the new career also have to be on the CSOL, as I'm pretty sure general admin is not!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you get sponsored by an employer for a 457, your visa are tied to that company. You can't leave that company (and remain in australia) without a new sponsor, or a new visa. You can switch sponsors if you are in the same or a very similar role. If you are changing occupation, you need a new 457 visa.

I think you have also overlooked the 186 ENS visa. It stands for employer nominated sponsorship, but in this case its a permanant visa, you aren't tied to the duration of the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Sorry I may have given incorrect advice noting to see here move along...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Russian Blue

I've looked into the 457 visa with the same career, veterinary nursing.

Its going to be impossible to get sponsorship. An employer has to pay a minimum salary of 51k, also known as the TSMIT. A veterinary nurse salary is around 40k.

They cant exaggerate your pay either and pay you the 51k a year salary, as it has to be the same as other australian employees doing the same work, so you're stuck on 40k, and the visa will be rejected.

I read somewhere that they allow for salary packaging, so if for example the employer offered free accommodation to the value of 20k, that can be added to your salary to make 60k and thats over the TSMIT of 51k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've looked into the 457 visa with the same career, veterinary nursing.

Its going to be impossible to get sponsorship. An employer has to pay a minimum salary of 51k, also known as the TSMIT. A veterinary nurse salary is around 40k.

They cant exaggerate your pay either and pay you the 51k a year salary, as it has to be the same as other australian employees doing the same work, so you're stuck on 40k, and the visa will be rejected.

I read somewhere that they allow for salary packaging, so if for example the employer offered free accommodation to the value of 20k, that can be added to your salary to make 60k and thats over the TSMIT of 51k.

They have to pay at least the same as Australian employees. They aren't restricted to no more than that. If its 51k then the salary is covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

TSMIT is indexed annually and usually rises 4-5% on 1st July of each year, usually released last couple of weeks of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Thanks everybody, I guess vet nursing is just one of those occupations (quite lowly paid for visa requirements, and most likely they could hire an Australian, as there are lots of VN courses in Australian TAFE's, etc) that is just not an attractive visa proposition, either for Immigration or for employers.

If only I was a watchmaker... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

TSMIT is now $53900.

Advertisement