Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford: 3rd black spot for Crime

Options
  • 19-06-2013 10:45pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Heard this on TV3 this evening, doing a report on crime in cities and Waterford was ahead of the bigger cities like Cork. Dublin and Limerick were ahead of us.

We are, according to Crime Stats, 3rd on the list as a black spot for crime for weapons and explosives, threats, murder, robberies, theft, and drugs offenses.

Oh and Ireland is down 18% nationally on crime over the past few years, so that rubbishes the theory that recession sees an increase in crime. (<joke>Go Austerity Go!</joke>).

Interesting stuff, didn't know we would be that high up and the report even indicated that it 'may surprise people'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

id imagine the rise in herion use in waterford over the last few year would play a fair part.

as for 18% down..i dont believe that for one minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Reported crimes are down presumably, they can't (or shouldn't try to) extrapolate from a statistical sample set.

Oh yes TV3 - would you believe a word they say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Absolute rubbish on all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

i would have serious doubt over Garda stats re: overall crime is down. A lot of people just couldnt be bothered reporting it. Im not surprised, I have rang the gardai on occassion to tell them about anti social behaviour and little has happened. Im not surprised there is a lot of violent crime, every time im out at weekend, i never see Gardai at the hotspots

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

But the Gardai are some of the over-paid, over-staffed civil servants that so many threads complain about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Sully wrote: »
    Heard this on TV3 this evening, doing a report on crime in cities and Waterford was ahead of the bigger cities like Cork. Dublin and Limerick were ahead of us.

We are, according to Crime Stats, 3rd on the list as a black spot for crime for weapons and explosives, threats, murder, robberies, theft, and drugs offenses.

Oh and Ireland is down 18% nationally on crime over the past few years, so that rubbishes the theory that recession sees an increase in crime. (<joke>Go Austerity Go!</joke>).

Interesting stuff, didn't know we would be that high up and the report even indicated that it 'may surprise people'.

The Irish Examiner had Dublin, Limerick and then Waterford last week. Now this week TV3 has Waterford, Dublin, whatever…

It is not interesting stuff it is utter nonsense. It is different media organisations putting different spins on statistics to suit their own bias.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

BBM77 wrote: »
    The Irish Examiner had Dublin, Limerick and then Waterford last week. Now this week TV3 has Waterford, Dublin, whatever…

It is not interesting stuff it is utter nonsense. It is different media organisations putting different spins on statistics to suit their own bias.

TV3 had Waterford in the same order has the Irish Examiner...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

TV3 had Waterford in the same order has the Irish Examiner...

You didn't say that you said "Waterford was ahead of the bigger cities like Cork. Dublin and Limerick were ahead of us." There are five main cities so that make us first or second. And then you go on to say we are third in things like explosives. When was there an explosives incidence in Waterford? Other than when my head explodes when Waterford people except this type of crap to support their own hyper critical view of Waterford.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

BBM77 wrote: »
    You didn't say that you said "Waterford was ahead of the bigger cities like Cork. Dublin and Limerick were ahead of us." There are five main cities so that make us first or second. And then you go on to say we are third in things like explosives. When was there an explosives incidence in Waterford? Other than when my head explodes when Waterford people except this type of crap to support their own hyper critical view of Waterford.

Sorry, I may have phrased my post badly. I was trying to show that Dublin and Limerick were in the top two black spots for Crime and Waterford was third. The report on TV3 broke down the overall stats saying we were in this spot for explosives etc. I'm quoting directly from the TV3 Report, which the Examiner appears to backup. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yah, a Garda bashing thread, haven't seen one of these in a while... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Don't think anybody is bashing the Gardai. Its not their fault crime figures are high.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Don't think anybody is bashing the Gardai. Its not their fault crime figures are high.

Those stats are inflated because of the traveller feud.
    Take those figures out and let's see how we figure in the standings.
    Explosives are directly related to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ah but they'll get the blame anyway.

My 2 cents on the situation. The main crime categories are as follows: Burglary, Theft, Robbery, Public Order, Traffic, Sexual Crimes and Offences Against the Person. A lot of the time, burglary, theft and robbery can be put into the same category (Theft and Fraud Offences Act). So while burglaries go through the roof during a recession, because it can be lumped in with theft and robberies, which are down, the stats get skewed.

You also have people not reporting all crime. The amount of thefts that go unreported is crazy high (specifically bicycles). And the Gardai, working on a reduced budget with reduced numbers and a mass exit of seasoned veterans, on a new rota that is terrible and seems to have increased sick leave, they don't have the time to investigate everything, and lots of the time people are left waiting because there are more serious matters to attend to first. This causes people to not ring, thus skewing more stats.

And just an FYI, people need to understand the way calls are responded to. It goes something along the lines as follows:

Immediate threat to life
    Immediate threat to property
    Theft offences where there is a suspect held
    Serious Traffic offences (crashes, serious dangerous driving)
    Serious Public Order offences (riots, etc)
    Domestic Violence in progress
    Assaults in progress

Then you have the less immediate offences:

Theft offences with no suspect in area
    Minor traffic accidents with no injuries
    Public Order calls
    Assaults reported after the fact
    Animals on the road

Then:

Youths drinking/causing annoyance
    Bad parking
    Drunk people near a pub...

And include having to respond to house parties, civil disputes and other non-Garda related matters.

Keeping in mind that this changes per station

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

id imagine the rise in herion use in waterford over the last few year would play a fair part.

as for 18% down..i dont believe that for one minute.

Replace heroin use with foreigners and youll be more accurate.

Before you call me racist look at the court pages week in, week out and see what i mean. Full of names an irish man couldnt pronounce if he tried. Stokes are now the stokoviches.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Another garda bashing thread
    www.gardaombudsman.ie/docs/publications/report_103_waterford_holness.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 41 maltese falcon11

Yeah well, TV3 have to be correct about crime stats in Waterford. Didn't they spend months researching and filming a T.V series, called "The Estate". They certainly had their finger on the "Pulse" there, excuse the pun. Its a pity they weren't filming on Saturday night when the Centra Shop in Ballybeg was ram-raided, purported to be by a group of nine burglers using a jeep. (And needless to say, i'm not making any inferences between the people who appeared in T.V programs and the alleged perpetrators of this crime.) My point is, the Gardai do not have the resources available to police this city, or any city effectively since the cutbacks were implemented.

Advertisement