Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

baby due shortly - essentials required?

• 19-06-2013 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Baby is due in two months. There are thousands of items you can buy but what in people's experience are essential?

Is there any great price difference between buying here or the north for the bigger items?

Thanks in advance for help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Well, the very basics.

- Something for baby to wear: Vests, hats and onesies. A couple of cardi's for trips out. Nappies, cloth or disposible - lots of options available.

- Somewhere for baby to sleep: Cot, co-sleeper, crib, moses basket, your own bed (if you want to go with safe co-sleeping) and cellular blankets.

- Something for baby to eat: Boobs or bottles and sterilising equiptment.

- Transport: Rear facing infant car seat is essential if you drive. I would highly recommend a sling (lots of types available check out babywearing ireland), or you may want a buggy ( make sure it is one that fully reclines and is suitable from birth or else a travel system with a carrycot, you can get an endless amount of types at all budgets, some that covert to doubles, can be configured differently facing forward or rear etc.

Muslin cloths are great for burping and a multitude of other things.
    Cotton pads/balls and vaseline great for early days of nappies.

Other than that it is all frills and personal preference really. If you are offered a loan of baby bath etc great but I wouldn't buy one as they get such a short time from them.

I did find the bouncer great to be able to put her in it and run to the loo or have a bite to eat, and I could bring it into the bathroom while I showered. I also wouldn't have been without our braun in ear thermometer, great to have in the house and will have plenty of use over the years.

I would leave off buying the likes of a high chair until you get to the weaning stage around 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I just had my baby the other day and the things I've found so helpful so far, apart from the usual babygros etc are a v shaped pillow (take it to the hospital!) - great for feeding but also baby likes to sleep propped up in it and I also have a rocker/bouncer thing for the sitting room that he loves so far. He's conked out in it now :)

Also, my baby is scratching his face really badly - like tearing at it but luckily I have 6 babygros with those mitten hands on them that fold over so they are the only ones I'm using (I got them in Next). He rips normal mittens off and also SIDS charities don't recommend the use of them. The other babygros are not getting a look in!

Also, using lots of muslin cloths and cellular blankets but that's all we've been needing really.

I intended to breastfeed exclusively but having trouble doing it so we're doing combination feeding with my expressing some of my milk - I had bought an electric pump and a starter bottle set with steriliser and I'm so glad I did -otherwise Daddy would be running to the shops and I had bought both when they were on sale. Things don't always work out the way you plan so glad I was prepared!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on where up north but yes in general we still find it cheaper.
    Formula is cheaper up there again,nappies are cheaper.
    Buggies are cheaper,cots are cheaper.

There is a shop in Greenbank on the Warren Point road coming out of Newry called Babyztore, I find them nice but I discovered it after we bought nearly everything from kiddicare.com.

Advertisement