Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help My contact form is being spammed

Options
  • 19-06-2013 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Every mins i am getting an email from my contact form.
    Can anyone advise or help PLEASE ?:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭SteveAdti

if i turn off php5 on my hosting will it make my contact form inactive temporarily?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Add a CAPTCHA.

More information needed. Are you using a CMS? If so is the contact form a plugin?

You can disable the email from your hosting Cpanel temporarily if it's really a lot of spam.

site hosted on blacknight .. its every 10 mins continuos. no control panel have root files access
    dont know enough to add captcha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

SteveAdti wrote: »
    site hosted on blacknight .. its every 10 mins continuos. no control panel have root files access
    dont know enough to add captcha

You didn't answer my other question, see above re plugin/platform/CMS.

I need more info in order to help you.

im sorry but i dont understand .. i am looking at the backend files . I had the site built from scratch. its not wordpress or drupal or joomla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

i would disable the form for now.

and look at project honeypot they will guide you throught a process it helped a spam problem i had on a forum i run

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

SteveAdti wrote: »
    im sorry but i dont understand .. i am looking at the backend files . I had the site built from scratch. its not wordpress or drupal or joomla.
    In that case you are better off going back to the provider who built your site. A contact form should never be set up without some form of protection against automated submissions.

It should be a small enough job.

i dont use the web company anymore . can u recommend someone that can sort this quickly?
    Thanks for the responses guys

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It might be something you can do yourself.

You'll need to find the form and then follow the below instructions to enable reCaptcha -

http://www.google.com/recaptcha/whyrecaptcha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It's a lot easier if you show us the form and the script you are using. There might be 2 simple solutions: add captcha or lockdown referrers in the form script. However without knowing the setup, we're trying to help you while blindfolded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ThrowinShapes

As suggested above, the honeypot method could help you out a bit.

In your HTML form, add something like this:

<input type="text" class="my-field" name="someFieldName">

Then in CSS:

.my-field { display: none; }

Finally in PHP you check if this field has a value. If it does, don't send the email:

if( $_POST != "" ) { exit(); }

See here for a full example: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9447716/honeypot-php-for-comment-form

Advertisement