Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yaris with rusty and noisey exhaust

• 19-06-2013 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Hi, I went to see a 2007 1.0 lt Yaris this evening, looking to buy. Looks good but the exhaust is a bit noisey. It's not overly noisey, just got a bit of base to it if that makes sense. Took a look underneath and the exhaust looks quite rusty.
    Should I run a mile do you think?
    Thanks. Bar this it looks a very good deal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They're all quite noisy to be fair. Have you heard one before to compare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

No, not at all. First time driving one. But there was definitely spotty rust there and it surprised me. Maybe it means nothing. In fairness it passed its nct in March. 770000 miles. So it's no banger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

redser7 wrote: »
    It's an exhaust. Exhausts are a bit like tyres. Semi-consumable. If you like it and it's a good deal, buy it. The exhaust is most likley fine. If it isn't, it's minor, buy an exhaust. I'd be more bothered that it's a Yaris. Have you driven it up a hill? If you can get out and run ahead of it while a friend holds the pedal to the floor that's fairly normal, but is it somthing you can live with? I've always found them sllloooowwww. Very sloooow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Compared to usual 1.0 cars its grand, even compared to a lot of 1.2 cars.

• Advertisement

Cheers. It's for herself. She likes going slow up hill. I wanted to hold out for a 1.3 but then I won't be driving it (much). Been searching a bit since starting this thread and looks like Yaris exhausts are very pricey. Cat. Converters are part of the exhaust so you have to replace the whole system, or summit like that. Getting wary now.

Cheers. It's for herself. She likes going slow up hill. I wanted to hold out for a 1.3 but then I won't be driving it (much). Been searching a bit since starting this thread and looks like Yaris exhausts are very pricey. Cat. Converters are part of the exhaust so you have to replace the whole system, or summit like that. Getting wary now.
    Luckily God foresaw this issue and invented welders. And it's highly unlikly to be knackered anyway - they all rust a bit, it's part of their charm. Think of it as "patina".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Those engines have a thrummy kind of note to them ( I kind of like it :o ). It's also possibly surface rust which is nothing a wire brush can't sort.

Is it a UK import by any chance? If it is I'd be looking over it more carefully for more rust.

What does your mechanic think?

I know what you mean, I do like it, but sounds wrong for this car :) not what I'm used to anyway. Defo not an import.
    Going to try organise the local mechanic to take a look.
    Thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I know what you mean, I do like it, but sounds wrong for this car :) not what I'm used to anyway. Defo not an import.
    Going to try organise the local mechanic to take a look.
    Thanks for all the replies.

Not at all, I'd agree though, best let a good mechanic take a look at it and go from there. It could be nothing but just to be sure. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

i "think" that model yaris are a 3 cylinder? so they will have a bit of a pop to the exhaust tone.

its probably surface rest on the exhaust.

i really wouldn't worry, this all sounds fine.

Thanks Toyotafanboi, that's reassuring. Yes it is 3 cylinder

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A rusty exhaust is easily replaced. If the rest of the car is good, use that as a bargaining tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The Yaris, especially the lower end of the engine scale, are pretty noisy and the new body 1.0L (I'm almost sure) is 3 cylinder. All adds up to a generally noisy car if your used to anything of a higher spec especially the engine notes.

Funny you should mention the exhaust though, not the first time I've seen or heard of a Yaris having a rusty or loose exhaust (Check for wobble, its not uncommon)

ironclaw wrote: »
    The Yaris, especially the lower end of the engine scale, are pretty noisy and the new body 1.0L (I'm almost sure) is 3 cylinder. All adds up to a generally noisy car if your used to anything of a higher spec especially the engine notes.

Funny you should mention the exhaust though, not the first time I've seen or heard of a Yaris having a rusty or loose exhaust (Check for wobble, its not uncommon)
    Short trips, never gets hot enough to boil off the water that lies, very skimpy maintenance as "it's a Toyota" and the fact that they've hit every kerb, pothole and speedbump they have ever passed as the drivers are "not enthusiasts"??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Short trips, never gets hot enough to boil off the water that lies, very skimpy maintenance as "it's a Toyota" and the fact that they've hit every kerb, pothole and speedbump they have ever passed as the drivers are "not enthusiasts"??

I wouldn't lump Yaris drivers into the Micra category. Most I've met are decent, middle aged drivers. I've always driven mine enthusiastically anyway :pac:

ironclaw wrote: »
    I wouldn't lump Yaris drivers into the Micra category. Most I've met are decent, middle aged drivers. I've always driven mine enthusiastically anyway :pac:
    Heh heh heh - the Yaris IS the new Micra! Have a watch next time you're stuck behind someone dawdling. It will either be a Peugeot hatchback or a Yaris. The Peugeot crowd are just annoying, the Yaris driver will have their foot mashed into the carpet, teeth gritted, muttering "come on, comeee onnn, jasus there has to be more power?? Maybe I'll change down into second....come onnn!"

They are simply victims of physics and should not be cursed at.:D On the upside, great reliable little cars. My missus loves them. But then she also drives reeeaaallllllyyyy slow all the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

For some reason I don't know, those yaris exhausts end up sounding like a bee in a bottle/wet fart after a few years. Use it as a bargaining chip, exhausts are replaceable

Thanks for all the replies. Mechanic gave it a clean bill of health. Nothing wrong with the exhaust. Bagged a nice little bargain :)

Advertisement