Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Australia in a week ,Very Nervous???

Options
  • 19-06-2013 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi
    moving to Kununurra WA a week today , im 20 years old , male and travelling on my own , have a friend thats been living there all year but had to move to a different town for 3 months to do regional work, this happened after i booked the flights, i now have to stay in a hostel and will not know anyone there , really nervous about going now and dont want to back out, any advice or stories to share .
    thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

spyzer wrote: »
    Hi
    moving to Kununurra WA a week today , im 20 years old , male and travelling on my own , have a friend thats been living there all year but had to move to a different town for 3 months to do regional work, this happened after i booked the flights, i now have to stay in a hostel and will not know anyone there , really nervous about going now and dont want to back out, any advice or stories to share .
    thanks in advance :)

What was your friend working at in Kununurra? Why couldn't he of done his regional there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Why Kununurra? Now that your friends plans have changed why not change yours?

An Irish person moving to Kununurra is like an Australian person moving to ... Castlerea.

I imagine your flight is into Perth? Why not stay a few days there, get a feel for the place and see if its something you could see yourself doing?

Homesickness and loneliness has a much greater chance of growing in a place where you know no one and there aren't as many options to find work/make friends etc

• Registered Users Posts: 28 spyzer

rightyabe wrote: »
    What was your friend working at in Kununurra? Why couldn't he of done his regional there?

My friend has done his regional work but his girlfriend hasnt and no one in kununurra would take a girl on for farm work and she has 4 months left on her visa . So they moved to katherine and they are returning to kununurra after the 3 months so I wanna stay there as ive flights booked and paid for so I might aswell head there. He said there are plenty of jobs and I shouldnt have trouble finding one .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

you will be fine just try get work as soon as you get there. the funds dont last long in wa. its the most expensive state in oz by far in my opinion. its pretty easy to meet people in hostels. they are all full with irish.
    I moved to canada years ago on my own like yourself. i was ****in a brick. i didnt no anyone in the whole country lol. i was 22 at the time. i found it pretty easy too meet people in hostels and made friends quickly.
    are you flying to perth? i only visited perth for a week. its a nice city all right. i lived in melbourne for most of my time in oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There's feck all to do in Kununurra but you should make friends in the hostels (I think there's two).

Lad I know worked in the IGA there and got on just fine but it could easily go the other way and you'd be bored out of your tits after a few weeks.

• Advertisement

you will be fine just try get work as soon as you get there. the funds dont last long in wa. its the most expensive state in oz by far in my opinion. its pretty easy to meet people in hostels. they are all full with irish.
    I moved to canada years ago on my own like yourself. i was ****in a brick. i didnt no anyone in the whole country lol. i was 22 at the time. i found it pretty easy too meet people in hostels and made friends quickly.
    are you flying to perth? i only visited perth for a week. its a nice city all right. i lived in melbourne for most of my time in oz.

Yeah im going to jump on the job search right away . Ive been emailing a woman on reception at the hostel and she said there is a notice board the with employers looking for staff and its allways updated. Also she said she will try her best to get me a job. And also told me that the 4 bedroom dorm I booked is empty and the hostel isnt that busy at the moment. So id rather get comfortable there while its quiet and maybe when new people arrive I wont habe any trouble making new friends and showing people around. I think the main part of me being nervous is staying in a hostel amd sharing a room with people I dont know as ive never stayed at one before. Im flying to london - Singapore - perth - kununrra . Thanks for all the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Go for it lad. At least you won't be spending your money propping up Rosie's bar;-)

I actually think that's the way to go, just book a flight to a regional town, or buy a car and drive it. Far better than the rat race in Perth at the minute.

rightyabe wrote: »
    Go for it lad. At least you won't be spending your money propping up Rosie's bar;-)

I actually think that's the way to go, just book a flight to a regional town, or buy a car and drive it. Far better than the rat race in Perth at the minute.

Yeah I was told to avoid the cities so im gonna go to kununurra and get a feel for australia and do my regional work there and then head to a city maybe. Have 3 cars im going to view when I get there so hopefully pick one up so I can drive around looking for work. Thanks for making the sticky thread there what made my decision to go it helped me all the way . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

You're right to get your regional work out of the way first, saves all the hassle and you give yourself 21 months afterwards of carefree living visa wise.

Give Kununurra a spin and if it doesn't work out, slowly drive south towards Perth. There's so many epic little towns that people never bother seeing, their loss!

Hostels are grand, chances are that everyone is there for the same reasons - passing through while travelling or doing their visa work. You'll have a laugh once it gets busy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Yeah I was told to avoid the cities so im gonna go to kununurra and get a feel for australia and do my regional work there and then head to a city maybe. Have 3 cars im going to view when I get there so hopefully pick one up so I can drive around looking for work. Thanks for making the sticky thread there what made my decision to go it helped me all the way . :)

Haven't been to Kununurra but have been to a few places around regional WA. Found the people to be really friendly and will help you out as much as they can. Its a good opportunity to save abit of money as you have nothing to spend it on!

Best of luck with the move!

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for all the kind replies im alot calmer now about the situation .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Yeah im going to jump on the job search right away . Ive been emailing a woman on reception at the hostel and she said there is a notice board the with employers looking for staff and its allways updated. Also she said she will try her best to get me a job. And also told me that the 4 bedroom dorm I booked is empty and the hostel isnt that busy at the moment. So id rather get comfortable there while its quiet and maybe when new people arrive I wont habe any trouble making new friends and showing people around. I think the main part of me being nervous is staying in a hostel amd sharing a room with people I dont know as ive never stayed at one before. Im flying to london - Singapore - perth - kununrra . Thanks for all the replies

you should book into a mixed dorm if your goin on your own. might get a few hot women in your room. easy pickings in hostels lol. i wouldnt be worried about staying in hostels. if i was u id be lookin forward to it : ) . best of luck anyway hope u have a good trip. im sure you will find work easily

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

You'll be fine, just dont piss your money up the wall and then go running to the claddagh association like so many have done before ........

ifeelill wrote: »
    You'll be fine, just dont piss your money up the wall and then go running to the claddagh association like so many have done before ........

Thanks man apreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Well, have you arrived?? How are you finding the place?

Advertisement