Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercising 12 year old border collie

• 19-06-2013 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey, just wanted your opinion this. I exercise my collie for 4 miles each day off lead in one walk. How long do other borders exercise their older dog. Is it too much

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I think it very much depends on what your dog is used to and able for. If your collie has always done this and doesn't appear to have any problems like stiffness afterwards or being overly slow during the walk then I don't see why not continue, keep a careful eye and I'm sure you'll see when they're not able. My 15 year old collie x does 3 miles with me in one shot every day without problem (she would do more if I could persuade my 3 year old child to walk more :D ) and I have a 12 year old spaniel x who still competes in agility, I don't think age is the biggest factor, health and fitness is. Age is just a number ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Mine is, as all border collies are very loyal, hardy,mad to go etc and of course clever. As she got older she has let me know that things were changing.
    Her fav game of fetch wound down to her hiding the ball after only a few throws.
    When walking time came she wouldn't barrel towards me as I got the lead. The cataracts have come now and she's had a string of seizures and a full on stroke or two, one even in front of the vet. She now loves more so than ever as soft a matt as possible to sleep and lounge on. Her hearing is gone and she sleeps more than ever.
    She still has a quality of life, loves her food and sleep, doesn't soil and still has her moments as boss of our other dog.
    Overall if you have to ask the question about 4 miles and haven't noticed a difference in the dog then keep going, maybe a bit less distance but keep a look out for their feedback cause often they will keep pushing themselves for you their master as to not disappoint you. Mine hit a lot of changes and problems at 11ish but is 13 now and the kennels she attends staff, all cheer each time she reappears and goes for a stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

time lord wrote: »
    Mine is, as all border collies are very loyal, hardy,mad to go etc and of course clever. As she got older she has let me know that things were changing.
    Her fav game of fetch wound down to her hiding the ball after only a few throws.
    When walking time came she wouldn't barrel towards me as I got the lead. The cataracts have come now and she's had a string of seizures and a full on stroke or two, one even in front of the vet. She now loves more so than ever as soft a matt as possible to sleep and lounge on. Her hearing is gone and she sleeps more than ever.
    She still has a quality of life, loves her food and sleep, doesn't soil and still has her moments as boss of our other dog.
    Overall if you have to ask the question about 4 miles and haven't noticed a difference in the dog then keep going, maybe a bit less distance but keep a look out for their feedback cause often they will keep pushing themselves for you their master as to not disappoint you. Mine hit a lot of changes and problems at 11ish but is 13 now and the kennels she attends staff, all cheer each time she reappears and goes for a stay.

yes, agree with everything Timelord says here. My elderly collie, who is in equally bad shape, just doesnt come for a walk every day - he chooses when he feels up to it, and walks at half the pase. My 15 year old terrier, turns back when he's had enough and he too will not come if he's not up to it.

You will know as others have said, if your dog is stiff after a walk or not so enthuasiastic about the walk. Until that happens enjoy him and his energy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

My lady is turning eleven next month and will still go for a five mile walk and look for more! Not a bit arthritic but then I keep a very close eye on her weight and she is on a couple of supplements. I think you know your own dog best but with collies, don't make their age the make or break in these decisions. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

My guy is gone 13 and with him it's little and often, I take him out for a half an hour or so a few times a week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement