Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

html code pdf

• 20-06-2013 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

I have a pfd file I would like people to download, what html code should I use?

I did this

<a href="download.pdf" target="_blank"> form </a>

But when I press this on my site It gose to a "page not found"

Im using wordpress and put the pdf file in the public.html folder with ftp.

Should this be an other folder?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I notice that you have no folder specified in your link if you uploaded it with wordpress it probably put it into a folder use ftp program or the file viewer in worpress to find its actual location an use that.

to test put [websitename]/[foldername/[filename]into a browser window and see if the pdf appears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

As sheesh has already said, you have to specify where that file is.

What your link is doing is (sort of) the like the following conversation:

Tourist: I'm looking for Saint Stephen's Green. Do you know where it is?
    Local: Sure, all you need to do is go to Saint Stephen's Green.
    Tourist: Whaaa?

The href="" part of your link has to specify exactly where the file is located just like the Local needed to specify exactly where Saint Stephen's Green is.

So if your file, myfile.pdf, is in a folder called pdfs which itself is in a folder called downloads you would have a file path that would be something like:

http:// mysite.ie/downloads/pdfs/myfile.pdf

Advertisement