Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legally Changing Your Name

• 20-06-2013 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I really want to change my last name, it's 10 letters long and hard as hell to pronounce.

It always been causing me problems.

I know they have a deed poll service in the high court in dublin, is that the only way to do it ?

I heard you can get a lawyer to do it, is that true ?

How hard is it to transition to a new surname, and what institutions do you need to tell besides:

Banks
    Utility Providers
    Passport
    Driving License
    Employer

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

http://www.courts.ie/offices.nsf/0/B43B2E45023B633B802573D10045B030?OpenDocument
    Procedure

You can get a solicitor to do the deed poll for you or you can do it yourself, in which case the only cost would be stamp duty.

If you are doing it yourself, you will have to call in person* to collect the necessary documents from the Judgments Section of the Central Office of the High Court.

You must bring your original birth certificate, and marriage certificate if applicable, together with photo I.D. such as your driving licence or passport.

You will have to bring the affidavit to a Commissioner for Oaths or a practising solicitor. There may be a small charge. You must then bring these documents back in person to the Judgments Section in the Central Office of the High Court where you will have to pay stamp duty.

Details of the stamp duty applicable are available in the Supreme Court and High Court Fees Order under Part L Enrolment, paragraph 47.

Documents cannot be posted and you must call back in person with the completed documents to the the Central Office of the High Court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

rdogg12794 wrote: »
    Banks
    Utility Providers
    Passport
    Driving License
    Employer
    Revenue - enter your PPS number in the box to find your specific tax office details:
    https://www.ros.ie/wiclo/details.jsp

Also:
    Client Identity Services,
    Department of Social Protection,
    Social Welfare Services,
    Shannon Lodge,
    Carrick-on-Shannon,
    County Leitrim

Telephone: Lo Call 1890 927999
    Email: cis@welfare.ie

Register of Electors
    Insurance Policies
    Motor Vehicle documentation
    GP
    Hospital Records

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

You'd need to do more than just writing to them & pointing it out. They'd need to see documentary evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you were renamed by deed poll, as opposed to by marriage, did you get any sort of official confirmation stating that your name was changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Did you not have to wait two years?

Advertisement