Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raspberry pi

• 20-06-2013 2:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

Well I do not know much about these but I have decided to get one and play around with it.

Any suggestions for a newbie to the 'pi' scene?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭ozmo

Ill start the ball rolling with one as I think looks good:

There are a few nice tuts out there for an Arcade table - a mame emulator and menus.
    Some look nice. There are a couple OS builds that have all the software setup to go.

--

Another idea might be to interface your home alarm panel to the internet - so it emails you if the alarm sounds - there is usually an output on the alarm panel that signals such an event - just needs a suitable interface (relay or such) to connect to raspberry io pins.
    You could extend to arming and disarming the alarm also via a web page? There is scripting software for all this out there if you don't wish to write it yourself.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

Thanks I did not get one yet, hopefully this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Username99 wrote: »
    Well I do not know much about these but I have decided to get one and play around with it.

Any suggestions for a newbie to the 'pi' scene?

Start here.

Buy from the Pi Hut on eBay and get the Pi plus the power supply, preloaded SD card and cables. Stick on a mouse and keyboard and away you go.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

Start here.

Buy from the Pi Hut on eBay and get the Pi plus the power supply, preloaded SD card and cables. Stick on a mouse and keyboard and away you go.

'c

Thanks, think i'll get the B model

• Registered Users Posts: 19 don630

How are getting on with the raspberry pi?

• Advertisement

don630 wrote: »
    How are getting on with the raspberry pi?

I tried to get Mame operational - but it was slow, buggy and crashed all over the place.

Overall I found it hard to find a real world use for the pi - so been working on Arduinos and AtTinys instead as I find their small size, cheaper cost($2 each), the immediate boot and tiny power requirements more suited to what I wanted do.

Be very interested to hear what anyone has done with the PI though

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I alternate my Pi between an audio server and a video unit.

I serve audio to my Squeezebox devices (use Squeezeplug) and use the Pi at night to play Live TV and video from a box acting as a server (use XBMC).

I haven't done anything new recently ..... been busy building 'real' PCs :D

The only 'electronic' thing I have done is fit physical switches to reset and power off the Pi to allow me to more 'gracefully' turn it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I built a global network of honeypots for gathering malware with mine. This was for a research project. Not sure what to do with them once the project ends though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

I hope to use the Pi along with an A/D converter to process and display the output from a magnetometer. The magnetometer is built and functioning - the Pi part is still in the design stage.
    Anyway, hope (herself willing!) to visit Maplin today for the Raspberry Pi parts. There is an A/D converter board available from another supplier, ABElectronicsUK.
    Heaven knows when I will get the time to put it all together. I hope it will be done in time for the winter aurora season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Iderown wrote: »
    Anyway, hope to visit Maplin today for the Raspberry Pi parts.

Don't forget your credit card ;)

• Advertisement

Don't forget your credit card ;)
    Haha - indeed. Just like when we have to buy new printer ink cartridges.

Got the Maplin basic Pi kit and got it functioning. Only have old TV type monitor here so the graphics resolution is not the best. I'm going to have to spend some time learning the Pi programming language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Hi all, I've started a tutorial video series regarding the Raspberry Pi.

It's basically going to showcase a few of the more popular applications of the device. The first few episodes concentrate on RetroPie which allows you to turn your Raspberry Pi into a retro videogame machine!

Here's a link to the series which might give you some ideas:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUh5Q3guZ5U&list=SPyPLRL6HIOqqXNmP2t19y0rphpiedNwNS

Thanks!

Iderown wrote: »
    Haha - indeed. Just like when we have to buy new printer ink cartridges.

Got the Maplin basic Pi kit and got it functioning. Only have old TV type monitor here so the graphics resolution is not the best. I'm going to have to spend some time learning the Pi programming language.

What's the Pi programming language?

syklops wrote: »
    What's the Pi programming language?

They seem to suggest Python - they provide python libraries to get at most the pi functions like the io pins etc.

But its a PC so can be anything you like
    - DotNet (C#) I think might be worth a shot - its a nicer language imo than Python (link).

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    They seem to suggest Python - they provide python libraries to get at most the pi functions like the io pins etc.

But its a PC so can be anything you like
    - DotNet (C#) I think might be worth a shot - its a nicer language imo than Python (link).

Thats kind of what I was getting at. The Raspberry Pi is optimised for Linux. There is no Pi language. Most mainstream Linux distributions natively support

C
    C++
    Bash
    Perl
    Python
    tcl
    Ruby
    PHP

and numerous others.

Practically every language in existence is supported with the installation of an additional package, e.g. Java.

That said I would strongly advise against the use of C#. It can be done with the use of Mono, but there are much easier ways to achieve what you want to do.

What do you want to do?

Thats kind of what I was getting at. The Raspberry Pi is optimised for Linux. There is no Pi language.

That said I would strongly advise against the use of C#. It can be done with the use of Mono, but there are much easier ways to achieve what you want to do.

What do you want to do?

I'm very familiar with (from that list) C,C++,Python,Java

But the dev environments I've tried on the RPI have so far been really poor (little more than notepad).

Havn't tried DotNet on the RPI - but I've a lot of experience of it in MS Enviroments - so that was going to be the next thing I try. Get it working on PC and port to PI.
    I have in mind now to do some home automation - maybe get the PI to integrate with the IPhone Siri. Was going to use Arduino Leonardos (but they never arrived in the post - another story) so Ill give the PI another shot.

“Roll it back”

I'm very familiar with (from that list) C,C++,Python,Java

But the dev environments I've tried on the RPI have so far been really poor (little more than notepad).

Which ones have you tried? Have you tried eclipse?
    eclipse.png

How about Kdevelop?
    kdevelop.jpg
    Havn't tried DotNet on the RPI...

I've tried .Net on Linux using Mono and I didn't have much success. It was buggy, support was poor. Thats why I was advising against it.
    - but I've a lot of experience of it in MS Enviroments - so that was going to be the next thing I try. Get it working on PC and port to PI.

I'm not doubting your ability with .net. I am simply trying to warn you that .Net (developed by Microsoft) may not work as smoothly on Linux as it does in Microsoft environments.

This might interest you:

http://hackaday.com/2013/02/06/complete-siri-home-automation-controls-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink/

SiriProxy is written in Ruby.

Thanks for all that - I havn't tried Kdevelop - I see it does Python - might give it another go.

>.Net may not work as smoothly on Linux as it does in Microsoft environments.

Thanks for the heads up - Ill give it a miss so - pity - I like .Net

> This might interest you:
    > http://hackaday.com/2013/02/06/compl...-kitchen-sink/

Ahh cool - I saw a brief clip of that a while back but not seen the full details or article. Ill read through it now. Thats exactly what id like to do. Since my ordered Arduinos have gone awol (link to saga) Ill hack it out on the PI first.

> SiriProxy is written in Ruby.
    Ah no - yet another language to learn :S :)

my only worry is if the PI will stay running for long (months) if left on? SD Card wear and all that.

“Roll it back”

Thanks for all that - I havn't tried Kdevelop - I see it does Python - might give it another go.

>.Net may not work as smoothly on Linux as it does in Microsoft environments.

Thanks for the heads up - Ill give it a miss so - pity - I like .Net

> This might interest you:
    > http://hackaday.com/2013/02/06/compl...-kitchen-sink/

Ahh cool - I saw a brief clip of that a while back but not seen the full details or article. Ill read through it now. Thats exactly what id like to do. Since my ordered Arduinos have gone awol (link to saga) Ill hack it out on the PI first.

> SiriProxy is written in Ruby.
    Ah no - yet another language to learn :S :)

my only worry is if the PI will stay running for long (months) if left on? SD Card wear and all that.

I recorded an uptime on my Pi of 3 months for a performance test. 3 months was more than enough for the test so I ended it there. The SD card will not "wear". If you're very concerned, set up a cron job to reboot every 90 days.

I recorded an uptime on my Pi of 3 months for a performance test. 3 months was more than enough for the test so I ended it there. The SD card will not "wear". If you're very concerned, set up a cron job to reboot every 90 days.

Seems about 3 months tends be the magic number after the wear kicks in and you start to loose sectors(according to reports - haven't run mine that long yet).

This thread suggests a kind of workaround (leave more sectors free basically) - but still - but you are relying on a form of memory never intended to be used as a HDD.
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=37195

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

Seems about 3 months tends be the magic number after the wear kicks in and you start to loose sectors(according to reports - haven't run mine that long yet).

This thread suggests a kind of workaround (leave more sectors free basically) - but still - but you are relying on a form of memory never intended to be used as a HDD.
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=37195

Then don't use the SD, use an external harddrive.

Quick update. Relates to post 10 of this thread - about arranging to use the Raspberry Pi as essentially a voltage data logger to average/display/save the output of a basic magnetometer.
    The A to D converter board is now being read by the PI. I'm not familiar with Linux and it took some time to get the relevant software downloaded and functioning. The main program segment is in Python3.

Next on the programme are:
    1. Get a graphical display (Time vs. voltage)
    2. Neatify the physical layout and arrange for a common 5v power supply
    3. Some time I will want to make a copy of the SD card to have in case of disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Thought I'd use this thread instead of staring up a new one seeing as it has been discussed here.
    I'm looking for advise on setting up a cheap retro gaming device and seems like the PI will fit the bill nicely. I am trying to do it on the extreme cheap!
    I have ps3 controllers and will make the case for the PI out of lego so all I really need is a PI sd card and charger(the charger I use for my phone seems a little weak). What I'm looking for is the cheapest place to buy these (amazon seems like the best)? Also all i want to play is SNES (Mario world, Mario Kart and Zelda). Is there any easier way to download an emulator that will only run the snes or is retropie still the way to go? Seeing as I am a total noob, I was thinking of picking up an SD card with NOOBS preinstalled but i spotted a "half price" Sd card in argos and was wondering if like retropie, there is an image of noobs i could just download to this? Do I even need noobs at all? will pick up a bluetooth adaptor in deals also as per Mr Vestek's great vids (thanks for them).
    Any help is much appreciated

MRTULES wrote: »
    Thought I'd use this thread instead of staring up a new one seeing as it has been discussed here.
    I'm looking for advise on setting up a cheap retro gaming device and seems like the PI will fit the bill nicely. I am trying to do it on the extreme cheap!
    I have ps3 controllers and will make the case for the PI out of lego so all I really need is a PI sd card and charger(the charger I use for my phone seems a little weak). What I'm looking for is the cheapest place to buy these (amazon seems like the best)? Also all i want to play is SNES (Mario world, Mario Kart and Zelda). Is there any easier way to download an emulator that will only run the snes or is retropie still the way to go? Seeing as I am a total noob, I was thinking of picking up an SD card with NOOBS preinstalled but i spotted a "half price" Sd card in argos and was wondering if like retropie, there is an image of noobs i could just download to this? Do I even need noobs at all? will pick up a bluetooth adaptor in deals also as per Mr Vestek's great vids (thanks for them).
    Any help is much appreciated

Can I recommend a powered USB hub. As soon as you start plugging peripherals into the Pi you start having power problems. I got one for 20 quid in PC World which is an expensive place to buy anything PC related. You would get one online for about a fiver. Maybe check out DealXtreme?

I really wouldnt go to the expense of buying an SD card with noobs pre-installed. Its a 2 minute job to install it to an SD card and will save you $$$.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Powered USB hub: get a Kensington. It cost me 12.99 in the Art & Hobby shop 18 months ago in dunleary shopping mall.

*Double post

I was looking into them alright but thought that using the ps3 controllers via Bluetooth would avoid the power issues. I was just going to plug in the blue tooth adaptor. 1.49 in deals.
    Would this still cause power issues?
    Would I need a 2nd SD card. One for noobs and one for retropie?

I was looking into them alright but thought that using the ps3 controllers via Bluetooth would avoid the power issues. I was just going to plug in the blue tooth adaptor. 1.49 in deals.
    Would this still cause power issues?
    Would I need a 2nd SD card. One for noobs and one for retropie?

Trust me, for the sake of a tenner get a powered USB hub. Using just the 5 volts power which gets supplied to the Pi can cause intermittent problems which are very hard to troubleshoot. I had problems with a wireless dongle which sporadically dropped. Spent an inordinate amount of time troubleshooting it, recompiled drivers etc. It was all fixed with a 10 euro powered hub.

Trust me, for the sake of a tenner get a powered USB hub. Using just the 5 volts power which gets supplied to the Pi can cause intermittent problems which are very hard to troubleshoot. I had problems with a wireless dongle which sporadically dropped. Spent an inordinate amount of time troubleshooting it, recompiled drivers etc. It was all fixed with a 10 euro powered hub.

Seems that the ampage (if thats a word) makes a difference. Do you know if your 5v power supply was a 1000mA?
    Do you power your Pi through the usb hub? If I could do without buying the power supply lead and just bought the usb hub as a means of powering the pi?
    Thanks again

• Advertisement

My advice ........ keep the Pi PSU separate to everything else, and ensure it is well over-rated for Pi requirements.

Do I need 2 SD cards for noons and retropie? Can I just get away with 1 for retropie and not use noons at all?

Oh,, I'm feeling nice today. ,............

Go into any phone shop and say you have a Sony Xperia Z phone. Even if you don't. I'm m not being sarcastic. Say you need a new power supply to plug into the mains.
    Use this to power ur Pi. Secondly, MRTULES go to ur nearest physical book shop and ask about buying a book about Linux for beginners. In either the phone shop and the book shop don't t mention the raspberry pi especially if ur outside Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

gugleguy wrote: »
    In either the phone shop and the book shop don't t mention the raspberry pi especially if ur outside Dublin.

Oh really??

Really ur query about 2 SD cards MRTULES, as the owner of 2 raspberry pis I believe this project is beyond your current expertise. Right, I'm off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

don't t mention the raspberry pi especially if ur outside Dublin.

Erm why?!

• Advertisement

PM me if you want a PowerPoint presentation on the Raspberry Pi. I did one presentation to a live audience in a Dublin shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

PM me if you want a PowerPoint presentation on the Raspberry Pi. I did one presentation to a live audience in a Dublin shop.

How about you kindly answer the question instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

It feels awkward in here

Clearly I've spent too long in After Hours forum and TCD forum (following. One particular. Thread there) today.

For those that helped, thank you. It is much appreciated. For those who didn't, thanks anyway you are obviously much more intelligent than I am or ever will be. I will disregard your comments and continue to try and learn to use the raspberry pi.
    My question about the 2 SD cards might not have been clear. I am wondering if I need noobs at all if I just intend to use it as a SNES emulator or can i just use retropie.

• Advertisement

For those that helped, thank you. It is much appreciated. For those who didn't, thanks anyway you are obviously much more intelligent than I am or ever will be. I will disregard your comments and continue to try and learn to use the raspberry pi.
    My question about the 2 SD cards might not have been clear. I am wondering if I need noobs at all if I just intend to use it as a SNES emulator or can i just use retropie.

Hi MrTules,

My YouTube series 'Raspberry Pi Ally' has three episodes up dedicated to setting up RetroPie at the minute which may be of some help.

http://www.youtube.com/mrvestek

You can join the following FB group too if you have any queries:
    http://www.facebook.com/mrvestek

Hope that helps!

NOOBS is provided for those new users who want things to work for them without much if any manual involvement (my opinion).

NOOBs is only to facilitate the installation of one of the provided operating systems. For any other OS its image should be used.

For those who are prepared to learn a little as they go, then 'images' are provided.
    Such 'images' have to be 'burned' (written to) the SD card in a similar manner that a CD is 'burned'.
    The image contains all that is required to boot the Operating System.

There might be some more items to be attended to after first boot ...... for instance set up of various things, maybe expand the filesystem to use the full size of the SD card etc.

Instructions will be given with each image on the relevant site.

I know nothing of emulators ..... but I would say that it is very useful to have more than one card.
    It means you can at minimum, try other images/operating systems, without wiping the one on the main card, which you might have spent some time perfecting.
    (as an aside .... it is also a simple matter to make your own image of a tweaked install for safe-keeping)

I would also advise you get Class 10 SD cards ..... you need to be careful when selecting the cards. (definitely no slower than class 6)

Keep at it. Expect to fail regularly, just be prepared to do it again.
    Trial and error is a great way to get the feel of things ..... and learn also ;)

Thanks. I mentioned it in previous thread. Already a subscriber. Great vids

Thanks MrTules.

Is there a particular reason you need noobs and RetroPie? You could just follow my videos from Episode 1, that will run you through flashing the SD card... it's pretty much good to set up from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

In either the phone shop and the book shop don't t mention the raspberry pi especially if ur outside Dublin.

Just don't mention it anywhere.

Power supplies are easy to come by. Just search for a 5V 1A micro USB supply.

Here's Farnell, but Ebay, Deal Xtreme Aliexpress, second hand on adverts ect are cheaper: http://ie.farnell.com/raspberry-pi-psu/rpi-psu-uk-mk1/power-supply-raspberry-5v-1a-uk/dp/2254792

Check the former and MyMemory.co.uk for SD cards.

Hot UK Deals throws up decent offers every so often too.

Plenty of free RPi books online, and some not so free ones that can be obtained from the usual pirate sites. All the best RPi projects are online too, so I wouldn't spend money on a book unless you like to have one beside you when you're writing code.

So I got my Pi and started set up of retropie. All was going well at first. I had retropie up and running. I had done all the updates ect. I had even managed to get my roms onto it aswell but then came the first problem. As I dont have a usb hub I had to connect my ps3 controller and bluetooth thingy but then had no keyboard.
    After a lot of looking around I managed to download some software to enable me to access my pi remotely on my pc. But alas, it seems it still doesn't want to config my ps3 controller at all.
    Can I use the ps3 pad as a wired controller? and just forget about bluetooth for now?
    As always, any help is much appreciated.

So I got my Pi and started set up of retropie. All was going well at first. I had retropie up and running. I had done all the updates ect. I had even managed to get my roms onto it aswell but then came the first problem. As I dont have a usb hub I had to connect my ps3 controller and bluetooth thingy but then had no keyboard.
    After a lot of looking around I managed to download some software to enable me to access my pi remotely on my pc. But alas, it seems it still doesn't want to config my ps3 controller at all.
    Can I use the ps3 pad as a wired controller? and just forget about bluetooth for now?
    As always, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks. I have been following your videos all along.
    I just managed to get this sorted.
    Need to sleep but Zelda is too good.
    I will be dreaming of "sudo ./retropie_setup.sh" lol

Advertisement