Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vfc piston

• 20-06-2013 8:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how strong these are? Im running quite a high rof with one in and since it's all polycarbonate with only one metal tooth I don't know if I should just switch it out or what. It's had near 5000 rounds put through it mainly on semi but around 1500 on full auto. Will it last me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,748 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Yes it will, I always prefer a polycarb piston over a full metal toothed piston if going for very high rate of fire

A polycarb piston has the advantage of being lighter which reduces the load on the motor during the cocking phase of the cycle and also due to it lighter weight has less inertia and reduces the force on the front of the gearbox shell from the piston striking the cylinder head

If you want something a bit more durable then why not use a Half & Half type piston
    You have a softer pickup tooth which is more forgiving when things don’t quiet line up at high speed and you have the durability of a metal toothed piston in the second stage of the cocking cycle as the load starts to increase from the compression of the main spring and they are perfect for short stroking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Untamedlemon

DeBurca wrote: »
    Yes it will, I always prefer a polycarb piston over a full metal toothed piston if going for very high rate of fire

A polycarb piston has the advantage of being lighter which reduces the load on the motor during the cocking phase of the cycle and also due to it lighter weight has less inertia and reduces the force on the front of the gearbox shell from the piston striking the cylinder head

If you want something a bit more durable then why not use a Half & Half type piston
    You have a softer pickup tooth which is more forgiving when things don’t quiet line up at high speed and you have the durability of a metal toothed piston in the second stage of the cocking cycle as the load starts to increase from the compression of the main spring and they are perfect for short stroking

thanks, i like full metal pistons but the shs one i had for a while was just too heavy and i felt that it didnt reach the standard of polycarbonate one. if the polycarbonate one will last then ill just stick with that until it breaks at which point ill just re use the full metal teeth or switch to a half and half depending on what im going for.
    thanks again.

Advertisement