Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU returns Amazon

Options
  • 20-06-2013 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Does anyone have any experience returning electronic items to Amazon? I bought an Asus GTX 560 Ti 18 months ago, which died last week. Since then I have been through a series of emails and phone calls trying to get it RMA'd. What I have found out is that Asus provide a 3 year warranty, but insist that Amazon are to honour it. And that Amazon only provide a 1 year warranty, and anything over that needs to be dealt with by the manufacturer. Basically both companies are trying to wash their hands of the situation and I'm nearly €200 out of pocket. Has anyone got any ideas that might help? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DrZooransikal

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I'm pretty sure this is in ASUS's court but you might try the two-year EU rule with Amazon (1999/44/EC). Just one question though, did you OC?

ok thanks. No I didn't OC. I had problems with the machine locking up with sort of a pink/green image on the screen early on, but Nvidia put it down to the driver, now I am thinking this card may have had problems from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I've heard Amazon are very good for returns. Was it actually sold by amazon or another seller though Amazon when you bought it.

It was sold by Amazon themselves. In fairness to them, it doesn't mention a 3 year warranty on the product page, and as it's 18 months old it's outside of their standard 1 year warranty period. I only found out it was 3 years through emailing Asus support. But since telling me that they are refusing to RMA it themselves, saying Amazon have to. Obviously Amazon don't want to do that. I keep getting emails just telling me to contact the other company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Get on to Asus then and demand they replace or refund the item.

If they refuse tell them you are going to report them. You are well within your rights. Just keep at them.

You might get lucky and get a newer model card as a replacement.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Get on to Asus then and demand they replace or refund the item.

If they refuse tell them you are going to report them. You are well within your rights. Just keep at them.

You might get lucky and get a newer model card as a replacement.

all wrong, warranties over and above statutory rights don't have to compare with those rights.

Depending on the conditions it might be a service warranty, which they will only repair the card. Any refund is likely to not be full price due to age

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

all wrong, warranties over and above statutory rights don't have to compare with those rights.

Depending on the conditions it might be a service warranty, which they will only repair the card. Any refund is likely to not be full price due to age

There is no statutory obligation on a manufacturer to offer a warranty in the first place, but once offered and accepted by the consumer (through purchase of the product) it is legally enforceable.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/guarantees.html

marco_polo wrote: »
    There is no statutory obligation on a manufacturer to offer a warranty in the first place, but once offered and accepted by the consumer (through purchase of the product) it is legally enforceable.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/guarantees.html

That's what I said, quoting a right to refund or replace is only for statutory rights. The warranty could have completely different terms.

By the way I found this on ASUS's website
    Warranty period may differ regionally, please check with your purchase Site.
    Looks like Amazon's stated one year warranty might trump this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

That's what I said, quoting a right to refund or replace is only for statutory rights. The warranty could have completely different terms.

By the way I found this on ASUS's website
    Warranty period may differ regionally, please check with your purchase Site.
    Looks like Amazon's stated one year warranty might trump this.

Right I get you now. :)

I am pretty sure Asus's three year warranty applies in the UK/Ireland, and because they offered it they are certainly obliged to repair the card (apart from the accidental damage etc as per usual), the question is are they obliged to receive the card directly from the consumer (I think the key issue is is mandating the card must be returned to the retailer, a reasonable condition of the guarantee contract).

It seems quite a grey area, because although you have a two year statutory right with the retailer as well, I believe after the first six months the onus is on the consumer to prove there was an inherent fault in the product from day one (how is the the ordinary consumer do this with a GPU).

On the other hand, I doubt amazon have any legal obligation either to accept return claims under the Asus manufacturer warranty, but if the terms of the warranty say that it must be returned to the retailer first where does that leave the OP. :confused:

In practice most hardware manufacturers will reasonably accept a direct RMA where the retailer refuses to do so.

TBH this is probably one for the OP to drop a line to one of the consumer agencies. And above all the most important thing is to not give up and keep pestering them until one of them caves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Derek93

Normal Asus warranty is 3 year limited warranty, 1st year return to retailer and demand refund ect 2nd and 3rd year is Return to manufacturer for either repair/replacment, however Asus likes to make deals with the retailers that they handle the RMA process, had the same issue myself with maplin and a Asus product, maplin said there warranty was 1 year but Asus said maplin must handle the RMA process on Asus's behalf. Sounds like Amazon can't be bothered handling the RMA process.

Advertisement