Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duck and black bean

Options
  • 20-06-2013 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a bit of a novice at cooking but bought 2 duck breast fillets from lidl pre marinated with garlic and pepper.

Looking to get a nice black bean sauce to do with it, any ideas where I would get one?

Just gonna chop up some peppers, onions and have with some noodles as well.

Would the best thing to do be to fry the duck or could I grill it? I find I burn things less when grilling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i find that you get the fat rendered down better when you pan fry duck and the skin is crispier. mind you i've always done it in a cast iron griddle pan myself so that may make a difference.

best place for black bean is the small chinese supermarkets, my favourite brand to use is the Lee Kum Kee sauces.

they do a really nice black bean and garlic sauce and their oyster sauce is very nice too.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=lee+kum+kee+black+bean+sauce&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=YdzCUfzQJoiJ4gTi-oCQCA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=739

in fact, whilst you're there, make sure you stock up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ush1 wrote: »
    I find I burn things less when grilling.
    It is so fatty it is less likely to burn, put is skin side down first so fat falls out.

I like the LKK stuff too, its pretty cheap and not watered down much. I was surprised & disappointed to see the asian store on georges street in dublin is now closed, their old site says they opened in 1991.

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=g&hl=en&ll=53.342279,-6.264632&spn=0.002719,0.006968&hq=g&hnear=Dun+Laoghaire-Rathdown,+County+Dublin&t=m&fll=53.341658,-6.265399&fspn=0.002719,0.006968&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.342365,-6.264582&panoid=uQHPwaZoCfQ4wcPuJsL0DQ&cbp=12,111.65,,1,5.28

rubadub wrote: »
    I was surprised & disappointed to see the asian store on georges street in dublin is now closed, their old site says they opened in 1991.
    that's a real shame, they were very good and probably the biggest one i've seen in dublin.

i quite often use the one on abbey street by the luas stop behind the jervis centre. always found them to be good although it would be nice if they were bigger.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

vibe666 wrote: »
    i quite often use the one on abbey street by the luas stop behind the jervis centre. always found them to be good although it would be nice if they were bigger.
    I was quite disappointed in their spice selection last time I called in, especially compared to Eurasia in Fonthill who seem to have every spice known to humankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

vibe666 wrote: »
    that's a real shame, they were very good and probably the biggest one i've seen in dublin.
    It was the busiest I have been in too. Many I go into have the staff wandering after me asking if I need help as there is nobody there. Also you were confronted with huge selections of say soy sauce, so I was able to wait and see what all the Chinese people were getting themselves in the busy one.

They used to split open big bags of spice and rebag them into loads of smaller bags of varying sizes, and charge by weight. I have a load of bay leaves I will never use which costed a fraction of what a few miserable ones cost in supermarkets. Being busy meant higher turnover, you go into some of these places and have to check all the dates.

You can buy groceries on amazon, if over £25 delivery is free, you can mix & match between departments too. But they often have minimum amounts. Coconut oil is cheaper on amazon than most shops. Wing Yip is another brand I would recommend which is on amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_p_6_1?rh=n%3A340834031%2Ck%3Ablack+bean+sauce%2Cp_6%3AA3P5ROKL5A1OLE&keywords=black+bean+sauce&ie=UTF8&qid=1371739972&rnid=419151031

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Got it done!

I actually ended up getting the black bean sauce in Aldi!:o Was damn tasty though.

Cooked the duck in the oven for 30 mins, fried half an onion, a green pepper and some mushrooms, then added sauced and noodles.

looks good, but I think you need to get some bigger plates! :D

Advertisement