Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit attack!!

• 20-06-2013 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi Guys Brand new to this area of boards and to my allotment,

Just popped up to the new allotment last night to find the rabbits had a belly full of my sprouts and carrots ( planted in the ground) but didn't touch the herb garden raised bed????
    I have installed 5 x 8ft x 8ft raised beds (divided in 2 so 10 raised beds) for my future crops some of which are sowed in trays at home,should they be safe in a raised bed?
    What is the best way to sort this issue out I don't mind to much that it happened now better now then when I have everything in, I am wondering did they just eat what was handy and would have moved to the herb garden after they eat all the veg?

Anyone know what is the best way to prevent them getting in??
    I put chicken wire down last night so I will be up there the weekend to try secure it best as possible,

PS it is not somewhere you can shoot them!!.

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Rabbits are dreadful creatures in gardens. Impossible to keep them out. They dig down around roses and other plants and eat the roots. I have come to hate rabbits.

A neighbour of mine acquired a cat last year. So far she seems to be doing a great job. Far fewer rabbits this year than last year.

I am assuming it is the cat is responsible. Sally is my new best friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

This might sound weird but if you go to a hairdressers etc. ask them if they have any cut hair etc. or if you are going to the hairdressers save your cut hair. Sprinkle your cut hair around your flowers, vegetables etc. the smell scares them off. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭2smokinbarrels

Thanks guys!

I had a good long read up and it is looking like this is going to be an on-going issue going to dig down around the perimeter and sink wire mesh down into the ground and see can at least hold them at bay for a while friend of mine knows a guy with ferrets he is going to have a look and see if he can arrange something.

Thanks again.

Advertisement