Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo Boost and minimum system requirement

Options
  • 20-06-2013 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I hope this is the right place for this but I am about to buy a new laptop. It has a 1.8Ghz i5 processor with turbo boost up to 2.3Ghz.

One of the reasons I am buying it is to play a game which has a minimum requirement of 2Ghz and a recommended 2.66Ghz.

My question is would this game run well due to the turbo boost or should I get a laptop with a better processor? The laptop is otherwise perfect so ideally I would like to get it and not another. Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

What game is it? Laptops generally aren't the best choice for gaming. There are other factors as well. It may need a decent graphics processor. Depending on how many cpu cores the game uses will impact performance as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NU8

BloodBath wrote: »
    What game is it? Laptops generally aren't the best choice for gaming. There are other factors as well. It may need a decent graphics processor. Depending on how many cpu cores the game uses will impact performance as well.

It's Rome 2: Total War. The laptop doesn't have a dedicated GPU but this is by far the newest game I intend to play on it. It won't really be used as a gaming laptop.

That's a pretty cpu intensive game and afaik it uses 2 cores. It might struggle without a dedicated gpu or better igp tbh.

It might run on low settings though.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NU8

BloodBath wrote: »
    That's a pretty cpu intensive game and afaik it uses 2 cores. It might struggle without a dedicated gpu or better igp tbh.

It might run on low settings though.

Cool. Thanks for your help, appreciate that. Think I'll go for something a little more expensive so. No point getting that if it won't play the one game I want well.

The processor is probably fine but i'd look at getting something with some sort of dedicated graphics.

Intels igp's aren't bad but are still poor compared to amd's or most dedicated cards.

Try the laptop forum. Someone might know of some good laptop deals there that might suit you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,313 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The min sys reqs on game boxes are a bit loaded. They made more sense when the CPU market was a clock speed race but ever since multicore CPUs came out the clockspeed became a snake oil metric of performance.

Usually those boxes will specify thought the minimum as a Pentium 4 or something thats at least 2ghz. They mean thats the minimum recommended speed for a single core machine. It has effectively no use in the gauge of newer hardware. Just about every CPU on the market today will satisfy the minimum requirement, and any i5 processor will do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

They're still doing machines with "turbo boost"? That's hilarious.

I remember having an old AMD K6-2 500 with a turbo button. Made no different at all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 83,313 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They're still doing machines with "turbo boost"? That's hilarious.

I remember having an old AMD K6-2 500 with a turbo button. Made no different at all :pac:
    Like everything in life, turbo has been a technology that has improved with time. Did you know many of the Pentiums also had Hyperthreading technology? For all intents they should have operated like dual cores. they didn't. The technology however lives on, and your average i7 quad core is treated by the operating system as having 8.

Advertisement