Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maxi Cosi Axiss in Passenger Front Seat of Car

Options
  • 20-06-2013 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

My wife is expecting twins in the middle of August and we already have alittle boy who turns three in September. His car seat is the Maxi Cosi Axiss (Swivel Base ) and it is quite wide. My wife drives a Nissan Note which does nothave three full size seats in the rear. My issue is that I am not sure if tworear facing Maxi Cosi Cambriofix cars seats (Don't have them yet ) and the MaxiCosi Axiss will fit side by side in the rear seat.

One option is to put the Maxi Cosi Axiss (forward facing) into the frontpassenger seat. I was told by someone in mothercare that this was alright andthat the air bag should be left on. My neighbour ( member of Gardai ) thoughtthat it was not allowed to put the car seat into the front.

The other more expensive option is to change the car which was bought newthree years ago.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/No-Child-Car-Seat---No-Excuse/How-it-works/

According to the Above from RSA you are allowed, you can see the conditions on the link but basically once they are in the correct seat for there weight and its a forward facing seat then you have the airbag on. Different if its a rear facing seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I thought you couldn't do this. I thought you could only put a rear facing seat in the front and only if you can turn off air bags.

Check your car manual and ring RSA. My car manual says no front facing seats as the force of an air bag could kill a child.

There was another thread on here recently on a similar topic and someone linked to a 3 in 1 car seat that may suit your car. It is expensive but cheaper than a new car and probably the same as buying 3 New seats.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

it is not ideal but is legal.

"Fitting Child Seats
    If you use the child seatin more than one car, follow the advice below for each car. It’ssaferto fit
    child seatsin the rear ofthe car, butif necessary they can be fitted in the front. But,NEVER fit a
    rearward-facing baby seatin the frontifthere is an airbag on the passengerside ofthe car. Ifthe
    airbag went off it would strike the seat with considerable force."

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Leaflets/Leaf_booklets/Child%20safety%20in%20cars.pdf

Most normal cars will not fit 3 car seats across the back, it is in to 7 seater territory or The Citroen Picasso ,I think there is a 3 fill seater Renault too.

I just had to get a bigger car, there was no other option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's legal alright. We have carseat in the front because there are no back seats at all. No member of the gardai has ever had a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭teaholic

It is legal once the seat is back as far as it will go with the air bag on but make sure you can put the width of your hand, sideways, (thumb towards ceiling, baby finger towards ground) between the back of the passenger seat and the back of the rear facing car seat.

The other option is a narrow booster cushion in the middle that is suitable from 15kgs, provided the 3 year old is 15kgs. (2.3 stone)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Sportsnut

Thank you everyone for your replies. It is a great help.

Advertisement