Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching off oven and induction hob at the wall

Options
  • 20-06-2013 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi - We have recently gotten an energy meter and from tricking around it have discovered that our induction hob (ikea) and built in fan oven (beko) are using approx 60-70 watts in standby.

I have started to switch off the "red light" switch at the wall. This is definitely reducing the energy consumption (ESB Bill due next week so will see then what the difference is ) but what I am asking is - Will I damage either appliance by doing this?

Both are fully powered off for about 90% of the day so not a constant flicking on and off. Just switch on to cook dinner, allow to fully cool and then switch off at the wall.

Any opinions ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

No you won't do any damage at all.

I wouldn't have thought there'd be any need to allow it to cool either unless there's a cooling fan in the hob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

hmm

60-70 watts doesn't seem right for standby usage

i think it should be a lot less

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

Thanks for Reply - there is a fan incorporated into the hob and the rings also stay hot for a little bit after the pan is taken off the ring. So I prefer to let everything fully cool and all lights go off before I flick the switch

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

hmm

I will double check again later as oven is on at the minute, but I was amazed at how much the monitor dropped when hob / cooker were switched off at the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Mine is always switched off at the wall unless I'm cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

hmm

Its likely down to threshold of sensitivity on the energy meter. They can mislead people.

For instance if I switch on 2 cfl,s, often they won't register on the energy monitor. Now switch on a 5 watt item, and suddenly the monitor displays the extra 40 watts of cfl,s due to the 5 watt item causing the meter to respond to 45 watts, leading a user to think the last item which caused the monitor to respond, is now taking much higher than it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Switching off the oven at the wall switch can be a right pain if you have to reset the timer clock each time you power on.
    I would double check the standby load after everything has cooled down - after say an hour or so.. Did you check the user manual to see if any values are specified ? Any oven lights staying on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Well I wouldn't be relying on the resolution of the energy monitor. They simply won't resolve down to the standby levels of appliances. There may have been a fan running in the oven or what ever, but energy monitors can be misleading for low wattage items .

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paulireland

I read an article on this today and it appears that as the hob is inductive it will show it is using more power on standby than it actually is.It is due to the power factor of the unit.A power meter will give a high reading.

Advertisement