Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to XBox

Options
  • 20-06-2013 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I bought my 9 year old a new X Box 360 with Kinnect for his birthday today.

I have not had a chance to look inside the box yet as he wants to be the one to open it up when he gets home from school today.

Can you tell me does the console come with a built in wireless card to connect to X Box Live or do I have to buy one separately.

Also is X Box live recommended for 9 year olds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

markst33 wrote: »

I have not had a chance to look inside the box yet as he wants to be the one to open it up when he gets home from school today.

Can you tell me does the console come with a built in wireless card to connect to X Box Live or do I have to buy one separately.

If its the slim version of Xbox, yes it does have WiFi built in.
    I wouldn't let him play online. That's about it, and pick and choose games that are suitable to his age. My little brother loves to play some racing games time to time on mine.

Generally kids you talk to it play with online are the worst to play with and have a fairly foul vocabulary

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

markst33 wrote: »

Not sure what you mean with "built in wireless card".

If you mean a prepay card to connect to XBox Live, which is a paid service, I think you do get a month subscription.

If you mean does the XBox have a built in wireless card as in it can connect to a wireless network, well some early XBox models didnt have this and you have to buy a wireless adaptor or use ethernet cables to plug it in. I think the newer XBoxs have built in wireless functionality though...not sure TBH

I wouldn't recommend a 9 year old play on XBox live. Particularily with a headset and listening/speaking to other players. Even with out the headset other players can send you messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

As mentioned, if it's a slim model, it'll be wireless enabled, the older, larger models need an extra adapter.

There are parental settings in the xbox menu, I've never looked at them but obviously would be worth a check OP. If he sticks to games made for his age group I wouldn't see a problem with using xbox live, the problems arise when kids are online playing games aimed at older people

Advertisement