Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance paid by Employer

Options
  • 20-06-2013 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I'm new here and in need of some advice.
    My health insurance was paid since October to June 1st by the company I worked for, for 2 and a half years. I left due to medical reasons and personal issues after being on sick-leave for several months, my last day on the pay-roll was June 1st. I have never claimed from my health insurance. I presumed that the company had cancelled this when i resigned (I know nothing much about these things) but the health insurance contacted me by phone as I had moved address (apparently they wrote to me but obviously I didn't receive it) and while i was speaking with them I told her of my situation that I was now out of work and would like it cancelled...she tried offering me a cheaper policy and I declined, so she said no problem she would put it in the system and I had 6 months to reactivate the policy if i changed my mind, and she would post out the cancellation form for me to sign and send back. This was 2 days ago, and this morning I received a letter stating the premium due is 238 euro and due immediately and with no word of my cancellation...its as though they are ignoring my previous conversation with them and keeping the policy going.
    I haven't rang them yet to see what the story is as honestly am in no form as they never answer a question directly, go around in circles.
    I cannot afford to pay that sum of money as I'm a lone parent and now on social welfare which is not even sorted out yet.
    Can they make me pay it even though she never mentioned anything about it to me on the phone? I had thought that once I ceased employment that the insurance would be ceased also as it was the company group scheme.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

nope. you didnt sign up for the contract so there is nothing owing by you.

Generally it works that the group scheme gets the bill and pays it. When you leave the health insurer assume you want keep the insurance and send you a bill for the remainder of the year. You are not bound to keep the insurance and can just ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Bakemate

I'm afraid daheff is incorrect. The insurance may have been paid by your employer, but the policy is in your name, therefore you are responsible for the policy and any monies owing on it. You do not need to physically sign a health insurance contract. Once the premium is paid, then you are agreeing to the terms of the contract. This is written into your rules booklet.
    All health insurers now impose 12 month policies and penalties for breach of contract if you cancel early. Some insurers will take into account if was a policy related to your employment and not apply the penalty if you lose your job or resign, but if they decide to enforce their rules to the letter, then you are liable for the cancellation charge.
    I would call them back and ask them are they applying a penalty or can they make an exception since you have left your employer and it was an employee benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

By any chance is this Vhi?if its a company paid policy and you have left you can cancel your policy from the date you were taken out of the scheme.send them an email, if theres any query the can listen to the calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Bakemate wrote: »
    I'm afraid daheff is incorrect. The insurance may have been paid by your employer, but the policy is in your name, therefore you are responsible for the policy and any monies owing on it. You do not need to physically sign a health insurance contract. Once the premium is paid, then you are agreeing to the terms of the contract. This is written into your rules booklet.
    All health insurers now impose 12 month policies and penalties for breach of contract if you cancel early. Some insurers will take into account if was a policy related to your employment and not apply the penalty if you lose your job or resign, but if they decide to enforce their rules to the letter, then you are liable for the cancellation charge.
    I would call them back and ask them are they applying a penalty or can they make an exception since you have left your employer and it was an employee benefit.

This is 100% correct, you will also see that if you do not inform them that you do not wish to renew the policy will automatically renew. We are not allowed to offer legal advise here, some of the companies will tell you that "they reserve the right to pursue you through all legal means" but if you call the HIA they will tell you the likely/unlikelihood of this. Btw did the letter arrive a couple of days after you spoke to them, it may have sent automatically from there system

Advertisement