Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn Blanchardstown going down down down

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

like the car park, angled parking is a great job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

like the car park, angled parking is a great job

Pity people can't or won't change the way they drive around the car park. Was there last night and arrows and no entry signs being ignored wholesale.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was in Superquinn yesterday and I have to say that I like the new layout. The car park is great with the angled parking - so much easier! The self-service checkouts are arranged better too.

The aisles are arranged more logically then before but it does look a good bit less upmarket than the old layout. Then again, people just don't have the dosh these days to do much upmarket grocery shopping so this could be a smart move on Superquinn's part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Was there Monday and can't understand why 2l of Superquinn own brand low fat milk was 2.49 but Avonmore & Premier were 30c cheaper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Spotted that in our local Superquinn too, very odd.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

athtrasna wrote: »
    Was there Monday and can't understand why 2l of Superquinn own brand low fat milk was 2.49 but Avonmore & Premier were 30c cheaper.

i spotted that this morning aswell ,was very very odd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

I see on the news today that the Superquinn brand will be no more from Spring 2014.
    All that money spent on the upgrade of the store with more brand selection and to rebrand and re-stock the store with Supervalu products.

Can't see the clientele being too pleased with the move. Going to push alot of them to M&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

They're keeping some of their old Superquinn stuff, like Superquinn branded steaks and sausages.

There's a big Supervalu in the area I come from. It was refurbished in the last few years and it's fantastic. My husband is always amazed at how good the sugar free section is there, much better than Superquinn. If they do it well in Blanch then it should bring in more customers. I've been in Superquinn a lot recently and it's almost always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I agree, this is good news. Keep the Superquinn sausages and combine the bakery with the already good selection from SuperValu and it should be great.

Wonder what will happen to the smaller SuperQuinn shop in Tyrellstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Arciphel wrote: »
    I agree, this is good news. Keep the Superquinn sausages and combine the bakery with the already good selection from SuperValu and it should be great.

Staying open, will become a SuperValu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Why would it be any different to any of the other Superquinns getting rebranded ?

Their sausages are over rated, there's plenty of more out there that taste better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

ongarite wrote: »
    I see on the news today that the Superquinn brand will be no more from Spring 2014.
    All that money spent on the upgrade of the store with more brand selection and to rebrand and re-stock the store with Supervalu products.

Can't see the clientele being too pleased with the move. Going to push alot of them to M&S.

seems MnS are on a downward spiral also, the market for Pricey supermarkets is going downhill it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Aldi and Lidl really have killed it, the amount of ex-superquinn shoppers I know that flocked to Aldi is huge. Myself? I have a Superquinn beside me in Ashtown and I like shopping there, but will probably do so less now.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Their sausages are over rated, there's plenty of more out there that taste better.

I agree, I don't understand the fuss about them at all, they're very ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Zaph wrote: »
    I agree, I don't understand the fuss about them at all, they're very ordinary.

^^^100%.

Dunnes - Mrs. Hicks ( I think ) from Dunnes are the muts nuts, or Dunnes own brand. Much better IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its a pity to see the Superquinn brand go, although probably for nostalgic reasons as much as anything else. A trip to the Blackrock shop for cakes was a bit of a treat as a kid

The new Blanch shop isnt bad, its fresh and bright but more clinical looking than the previous wooden colour scheme and the range of stuff hasnt changed much, hopefully that will remain with SuperValu

The biggest losers are the 100 or so back office staff in Lucan that are no longer required when the SuperValu management takes over. I knew one or two of them over the years and I hope they get fixed up with other employment soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

That shop is awful, I can't wait for that one to either change or they let it go and someone better like a Tesco Metro/Spar replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Vahevala wrote: »
    That shop is awful, I can't wait for that one to either change or they let it go and someone better like a Tesco Metro/Spar replace it.

I think a Tesco Express would flourish up there... and it makes sense since they're closing the one in Mulhuddart.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

January wrote: »
    I think a Tesco Express would flourish up there... and it makes sense since they're closing the one in Mulhuddart.
    True. Main thing IMO with this closure is that the staff are being relocated. Thats always good to see.

January wrote: »

Tesco Express would not be suited to the area as it carries a very limited range, doesn't do much in the way of fresh food, meat etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There's a Lidl two seconds away that does all of that... Much the same as the Superquinn Select is, it's for people who are looking for convenience rather than a bargain.

Nothing to do with the price of anything, it's their range, Tesco put a very limited range into their select stores and if people see that they're not going to get anything other than the very basics in it they simply won't use it.

Advertisement