Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Economics and Maths in Arts

• 20-06-2013 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey all, I've just finished the leaving cert and at the moment my first CAO choice is Economics and Maths in NUIG (in arts).

I'm just looking for any information on this course regarding the hours, difficulty, employability, social aspect etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pou_alien

deba769 wrote: »
    Hey all, I've just finished the leaving cert and at the moment my first CAO choice is Economics and Maths in NUIG (in arts).

I'm just looking for any information on this course regarding the hours, difficulty, employability, social aspect etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks in advance!!

If you have the maths requirement and enough points, you might be better off doing the B.Sc. (Hons) Financial Mathematics and Economics course.

It's a bit harder and it's a four-year course, but it has better job prospects on graduation.

Details of it would be available on the internet somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 deba769

pou_alien wrote: »
    If you have the maths requirement and enough points, you might be better off doing the B.Sc. (Hons) Financial Mathematics and Economics course.

It's a bit harder and it's a four-year course, but it has better job prospects on graduation.

Ye but I wont have the maths requirement :(
    Thanks though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

If you don't have the maths requirement for Financial Maths I wouldn't be too confidant in you being able for the maths in arts, I'm in financial maths and we share most classes with the arts classes. You could do pass maths, but I'd say that would be looked down on by employers given that you'll be doing a maths degree.

I'm fairly sure i'll be alright with the maths (its my favourite subject in school) and its also naturally my best. But even so, because i'll be doing arts i can just do economics and something else :)

deba769 wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure i'll be alright with the maths (its my favourite subject in school) and its also naturally my best. But even so, because i'll be doing arts i can just do economics and something else :)

How come you won't have the requirement?

• Advertisement

Reillyman wrote: »
    How come you won't have the requirement?

Because i do lower maths. For the other maths courses an OA2 is accepted but not in FME :(

Yeah but what I mean is that if you find HL maths at leaving cert too hard(especially with the new easier course), you're going to struggle with university standard maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pou_alien

One time I was in a group project with someone who did pass maths and economics through arts. It did not end well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

If you get into the Mathematical Studies course I would say it's doable if you actually work at it and you can still get an honours degree out of it. Huge difference in standard between it and the Mathematics (Honours) course from my experience.

Advertisement