Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I feel like an idiot

Options
  • 20-06-2013 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I'm just looking for some help about getting a tattoo.I'm late 40's and have always wanted a small tattoo.I work with a lot of people in their 20's and they all have very fancy designs and such but i would just like the names of my wife and children somewhere hidden.
    I have seen a tattoo shop in walkinstown thats handy to get to but I don't know what questions to ask.
    The ones in my head are as follows but is it just a matter of asking out straight
    Are the needles clean and sealed in a sterile pack
    Can a tattoo artist just write small words freestyle or do they only do pictures
    Will they quote me a price
    Wheres the least painfull part of my body to get it done..I'm thinking upper arm or arse as these are the places that are usually covered most.
    My body is incredibly hairy..do you shave the area first
    I actually got as far as the door yesterday in walkinstown but some people came out covered in tats and sat down to smoke .I'm not sure if they worked there but I felt like an old idiot and didn't go in
    Thanks for reading this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

argentum wrote: »
    I'm just looking for some help about getting a tattoo.I'm late 40's and have always wanted a small tattoo.I work with a lot of people in their 20's and they all have very fancy designs and such but i would just like the names of my wife and children somewhere hidden.
    I have seen a tattoo shop in walkinstown thats handy to get to but I don't know what questions to ask.
    The ones in my head are as follows but is it just a matter of asking out straight
    Can a tattoo artist just write small words freestyle or do they only do pictures
    Wheres the least painfull part of my body to get it done..I'm thinking upper arm or arse as these are the places that are usually covered most.
    I actually got as far as the door yesterday in walkinstown but some people came out covered in tats and sat down to smoke .I'm not sure if they worked there but I felt like an old idiot and didn't go in
    Thanks for reading this

I asked all these questions too the first time I got a tatt in my mid 20s there normally asked by people with a brain I'd imagine!so just ask straight out

Ill answer what I know too the best of my know how
    Yes needles are sealed in plastic and put into the tattoo gun as your session starts a d thrown out after.
    A good artist can write draw tattoo ANYTHING on you.
    Yes they'll quote you as ye can hardly settle the price AFTER the tatt is done!
    I would recigmend go online and look at the names you want in different fonts and decide your self as its going too be on YOU forever.the tattoo artist will draw the tatt on you in biro before he inks it on you so you can decide if its in the right spot,size etc before ye start.

They'll shave the area before they begin also

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Honestly I'm young and it still normally takes me 10 or 15 minutes to convince myself to go into a tattoo shop. All I ever think is god they have such cool big tattoos and the ones I want are just small and stupid they're going to think im such an idiot for getting it.

Then I go in and 99% of the time you find that they are the nicest soundest group of people that dont care what you're getting tattooed or how simple or small it is and they are more than happy to give thoughts and advice! So just go take the risk you deffo wont regret it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Thanks for reading this

You poor yoke.

The best customers ask loads of questions. Hairiness = manliness. Older customers are always easier to deal with and they sit much, much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Thanks for reading this

So long as you don't act like this, you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Jesus that bloke in the video should've just been thrown out

Op I know the shop you are talking about. I Havint been in yet but a lad I worked with gets all his done there and says they are really good and sound people
    The better part of a tattoo is the person that's doing it. If they are sound and nice then it makes the tattoo easier and more comfortable.
    You'll find the more you chat to him during it the easier it is and you won't notice it. As for hairiness, I wouldn't be far off myself aswell but they do shave it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Unless its a big enough tattoo you might find it hard to see ever again once the hair grows back :) I've a fairly hairy front but not a single hair on my back, I can't actually see myself ever getting my chest tattood for that reason ;)

My best advice is just walk into a few shops without wanting to get a tattoo done, see how you are approached, you'll know yourself straight away if your in the right spot. Even pretend your just interested in tattoos without having any, start a conversation and go from there :)

You will find an artist you connect with and understand what you mean when your trying to describe a tattoo design from your own head, then you'll be sorted :)

Don't rush into it, take a few weeks, visit a few shops, if you need shop names just ask here, then if you find someone you think is suitable for the job come back and get some feedback here about their work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Is it Captain's Ink in Walkinstown? From looking at their Facebook, I'm not hugely impressed, but the work isn't 'bad' either. I'm sure they'd manage to do some script or lettering just fine for you.

All good studios use clean, sterile equipment. They will shave the area being tattooed for you. Least painful place is very subjective. I've got three on my lower calves and two on my inner forearms, and funnily enough, one of the ones on my lower calf was pretty much painless, while another one on my lower calf was the most painful one I've had done!

Good luck. And stop feeling silly, artists are usually absolutely sound and really nice, and happy to put you at ease. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

No need to feel silly at all OP, most artists would be fine with any questions.

All reputable studios use sealed, steralised needles once and only once.
    Yes they will shave the area to be tattooed before they do it
    Generally they would put a template on the skin for guidance before they tattoo you to make sure you're happy with the placement etc.
    Bring in the design and they'll quote you a price.
    One person's 'killer spot' will be another's 'piece of cake' it is very subjective. A quick rule of thumb that works for me is the more flesh between the skin and any bones/nerves the less painful it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Op, id stay aqay from captains ink in walkinstown. They're portfolio's on Facebook are less then inspiring and I wouldn't trust any studio that conducts their business in text speak, especially not for a first tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭bitch please

Dont be embarrased about asking questions,the artist is there to help you,when you go in they will show the equipment, how its done, they will quote you before its done the top of the arm isint too sore, its a noticeable pain but easly bearable and yes you will have to shave the area its being done on but that always has to be done so its ok. dont let your age put you off i see all ages of people coming in and out of the tattoo parlour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭bitch please

Dont be embarrased about asking questions,the artist is there to help you,when you go in they will show the equipment, how its done, they will quote you before its done the top of the arm isint too sore, its a noticeable pain but easly bearable and yes you will have to shave the area its being done on but that always has to be done so its ok. dont let your age put you off i see all ages of people coming in and out of the tattoo parlour.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&ved=0CFYQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tattoolettering.net%2F&ei=r9jJUYb-HMGThQe9-IHQBQ&usg=AFQjCNHqBL4gw_EBH7iA18Rs0bKlYhHUlw&sig2=wSIb-oXLl7qpJbt0HzBTjw try this you can design your tattoo here and print it off

Advertisement