Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants to change electricity supplier

Options
  • 20-06-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hi
    I live in rented apartment. Last week all tenants in our apartment complex got letters from letting agency stating that landlord had decided to switch electricity supplier to prepaypower.ie and from now on it is going to be in landlords name. We were given a week to submit a form where we agree to T&C and give them our details to close account with current provider.

Now I'm with Electric Ireland for years (previously ESB) and I don't really want to change that. It is actually the only utility bill in my name as there is no gas in the apartment and it could be hassle for me in the future as many institutions insist on utility bill as a proof of address and don't exept phone bill etc.
    Plus I'm happy with post pay by direct debit. It's just more convenient for me to pay this way.

My question is: can they do that? Can they force me to switch electricity provider?

BTW my lease is not up until end of October.

PS. Sorry for mistakes - I'm not english native speaker.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

They absolutely can not do that. Agreement for electricity is between you and the supplier. Is your name currently on the bill or is it it the landloards?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

Bill is in my name and has always been

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

PPP are the dearest provider on the market also, so you definitely don't want to change there.

I can see why the landlord wants to - it'll ensure that nobody runs away without paying as its a prepayment meter - but there is zero advantage for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Don't do it
    PPP are way more expensive.

Utilities are tenant's responsibility so the LL cant just do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

the LL cant make you change supplier. Your contract for utilities is with the utility company and not the landlord. Tell him in no uncertain terms no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

annie.t wrote: »
    Hi
    I live in rented apartment. Last week all tenants in our apartment complex got letters from letting agency stating that landlord had decided to switch electricity supplier to prepaypower.ie and from now on it is going to be in landlords name. We were given a week to submit a form where we agree to T&C and give them our details to close account with current provider.

So what happens if you don't? Just don;t submit the form and when they phone you tell them you're speaking the threshold about going to the PRTB and the PRTB will be back to them in a year or so.

MYOB wrote: »
    PPP are the dearest provider on the market also, so you definitely don't want to change there.

I can see why the landlord wants to - it'll ensure that nobody runs away without paying as its a prepayment meter - but there is zero advantage for you.

I'm not sure about this. Don't ESB charge a deposit of something like 300 quid in the event of something like this happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

keith16 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about this. Don't ESB charge a deposit of something like 300 quid in the event of something like this happening?

Yes, or you have to pay by direct-debit.

Yes, or you have to pay by direct-debit.

Well there goes that argument then, how the landlord can impose this is beyond me.

Don't sign the form OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

tell him to take a hike. they are the dearest in the market. if they insist as for a reduction in rent, to comepnaste for the dearer electricity.

as for "from now on it is going to be in landlords name"

thats nosense as its a prepay meter so its not really in his name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Id love to know what he plans on doing if you dont sign the form and agree to this...

Go direct debit and there's no deposit, ensure account has no money in it, "free" power for a few months and a headache for the landlord albeit not something their actually liable for.

The deposit is required for owner occupiers who want to pay per bill also.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

Im in the process of moving all of my properties to pre-pay. From a landlord point of view its a great idea. The provider are actually calling agents and have a dedicated person selling the switch to them. I think most landlords will be doing this in the near future.

According to my provider I dont actually have to get the tenants permission at all, but I do anyway for the sake of harmony. If a tenant doesnt want to switch then i've instructed the agent to wait til they leave and then switch it over before the next one moves in, but if I wanted I could just switch it.
    Like not accepting RA, if a potential new tenant has a problem with it they are free not to look elsewhere. Utility bills are one of the biggest headaches if you get a problem tenant. Eliminating those is very much a step in the right direction.

http://www.prepaypower.ie/landlords

PhilMcGee wrote: »
    According to my provider I dont actually have to get the tenants permission at all

This screams of salesman bull**** rather than actually having any bearing in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Im in the process of moving all of my properties to pre-pay. From a landlord point of view its a great idea. The provider are actually calling agents and have a dedicated person selling the switch to them. I think most landlords will be doing this in the near future.

According to my provider I dont actually have to get the tenants permission at all, but I do anyway for the sake of harmony. If a tenant doesnt want to switch then i've instructed the agent to wait til they leave and then switch it over before the next one moves in, but if I wanted I could just switch it.
    Like not accepting RA, if a potential new tenant has a problem with it they are free not to look elsewhere. Utility bills are one of the biggest headaches if you get a problem tenant. Eliminating those is very much a step in the right direction.

I just change the bill into the tenants name. I have never had any headaches with this. Its quiet a simple procedure and just change it again when they move out.

MYOB wrote: »
    This screams of salesman bull**** rather than actually having any bearing in law.

And your basis for this is .... ?

I just change the bill into the tenants name. I have never had any headaches with this. Its quiet a simple procedure and just change it again when they move out.

90% of the time there are no headaches, but by god wait til you get one. It will be the migraine to end them all. Power companies are second only to telcos for inducing headaches when trying to be reasonable with them.

And your basis for this is .... ?

How do they intend to release third parties from possible contracts with other suppliers, for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

90% of the time there are no headaches, but by god wait til you get one. It will be the migraine to end them all. Power companies are second only to telcos for inducing headaches when trying to be reasonable with them.

like what? It would be useful to know what to look out for.

Id love to see a legal interpretation of this, because I dont believe for a second that a landlord has the ability to change any utility provider on their tenant at any point during the tenany.

• Advertisement

You have absolutely no right to impose this on anyone. If tenants are such a headache, then perhaps you are in the wrong business? Or maybe you need to look at hiring a different agent?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

Thanks for replies. Very helpful. I'm not going to agree to this.
    Although i have a feeling they will do it anyway when the time comes to renew my lease :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Exactly. Debt is between tenant and supplier. Not surprised they want landlords to switch x

djimi wrote: »
    Id love to see a legal interpretation of this, because I dont believe for a second that a landlord has the ability to change any utility provider on their tenant at any point during the tenany.

There cant be any contract between tenant and provider in my properties as I dont allow them to switch provider anyway. Its in the lease. Got stuck between a tenant moving out and them trying to switch provider before and it was a nightmare to sort out. Airtricity said the tenant was with them for a period and i had to stick with them. My solicitor sent a letter and they argued for a while but in the end they had to give in as they had no right to enter into any contract with someone who doesnt own the property. Doesnt stop them making such contracts, but they cant hold anybody to it, so they are worth nothing.

I dont really care what detail is tbh as long as it is all above board and legal. But im going to take the companies word for it rather than the internets. Im sure the utility providers have something worked out between them for transferring. I dont need the detail. For all I know there is a switch and it just takes place at a certain time or whatever. I'll leave the detail to them. The only result im after is that the electricity becomes prepaid.

Im waiting til the tenants move out, but i dont have to at all if i didnt want to.

like what? It would be useful to know what to look out for.

Just search boards and askaboutmoney and you will find so many issues with landlords and electricity that you will cry.

annie.t wrote: »
    Thanks for replies. Very helpful. I'm not going to agree to this.
    Although i have a feeling they will do it anyway when the time comes to renew my lease :/

Why dont you just ask them can you stay with your current provider until you move out. They might be happy enough with that.

I dont really care what detail is tbh as long as it is all above board and legal. But im going to take the companies word for it rather than the internets. Im sure the utility providers have something worked out between them for transferring. I dont need the detail. For all I know there is a switch and it just takes place at a certain time or whatever. I'll leave the detail to them. The only result im after is that the electricity becomes prepaid.

Im waiting til the tenants move out, but i dont have to at all if i didnt want to.

Well good for you. Any decent, self-respecting prospective tenants won't go near your property. Prepare to have a lot more "problem" tenants.

There cant be any contract between tenant and provider in my properties as I dont allow them to switch provider anyway. Its in the lease. Got stuck between a tenant moving out and them trying to switch provider before and it was a nightmare to sort out. Airtricity said the tenant was with them for a period and i had to stick with them. My solicitor sent a letter and they argued for a while but in the end they had to give in as they had no right to enter into any contract with someone who doesnt own the property. Doesnt stop them making such contracts, but they cant hold anybody to it, so they are worth nothing.

I would be very interested to see how any of that would hold up should a tenant actually challenge you on it.

Have you any links to back up any of the claims you make as to the legality of any of that?

Well good for you. Any decent, self-respecting prospective tenants won't go near your property. Prepare to have a lot more "problem" tenants.

And I dont pay my tax and you're going to report me and i'm racist and Im a money grabbing cnt.

I've heard it all before. Usually by some dumb idiot after they have been refused RA in an apartment even after they read in the ad that there was no RA accepted, but thought it was just in the ad for the laugh. :confused:

Look at you. Commenting on apartments and people you have never seen and dont even know, and likely never will know, like you are making some kind of genius inspired statement. Think about what that tells us all about how intelligent you are. Or maybe you are just psychic. That must be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If a tenant doesnt want to switch then i've instructed the agent to wait til they leave and then switch it over before the next one moves in

Seems reasonable of you tbh

Advertisement