Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants to change electricity supplier

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

silentrust wrote: »
    He's within his rights to modify his own property.

The meter box is not the landlord's property. All remain the property of ESB Networks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

The meter box is not the landlord's property. All remain the property of ESB Networks.

I was referring to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

As a landlord myself I work under the maxim that while it might be my property, it's their home, telling a tenant during a tenancy that they will have to now switch to pre pay sounds heavy handed at best and possibly illegal at worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There is only one of my properties where a tenant looks after arranging the electricity supplier. They have been in that property 6 years, and it's commercial. I wouldn't do that for rsidential. I too have had issues in the past with tenants not paying up the final electricity bills, or not terminating their contracts properly. I'm firmly of the opinion that it's a hassle I don't need.

I haven't written it into the lease, but for all my properties (bar one), I am the person who choses the electricity supplier, and the bills come directly to me. I email the tenants the bill, they pay it into the rent account and I do a meter reading for final bill at the end. This way there are never any arrears that I don't know about until the tenant is gone.

It isn't prepay, i use the cheapest vendor available, and have switched when the tenant requested. But it still stays in my name. It's a pain in the backside to be switching it over and back otherwise.

pwurple wrote: »
    There is only one of my properties where a tenant looks after arranging the electricity supplier. They have been in that property 6 years, and it's commercial. I wouldn't do that for rsidential. I too have had issues in the past with tenants not paying up the final electricity bills, or not terminating their contracts properly. I'm firmly of the opinion that it's a hassle I don't need.

I haven't written it into the lease, but for all my properties (bar one), I am the person who choses the electricity supplier, and the bills come directly to me. I email the tenants the bill, they pay it into the rent account and I do a meter reading for final bill at the end. This way there are never any arrears that I don't know about until the tenant is gone.

It isn't prepay, i use the cheapest vendor available, and have switched when the tenant requested. But it still stays in my name. It's a pain in the backside to be switching it over and back otherwise.

Sounds fair to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I would hate to have it dictated to me which supplier I could or could not use to be honest. I feel that it's my issue and that it should be up to me if I want to go to Airtricity or ESB or whoever. The only time I'd contact the landlord in regards my bills is if I wanted to put in a pre-pay meter and then would need his permission to install it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

keith16 wrote: »
    They absolutely can not do that. Agreement for electricity is between you and the supplier. Is your name currently on the bill or is it it the landloards?

Correct. You are the billpayer. At the end of the tenancy the landlord can take possession of the property and change

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He's within his rights to modify his own property.
    I was referring to the house.
    Whilst the tenant is paying rent, the landlord is not allowed to enter the house without the tenants permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

it might be a pain the in the backside, but its part of running a buisness, which is what being a landalord is.

My view on this is, if the bill is not in my name i ain't paying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

PhilMcGee wrote: »
    And I dont pay my tax and you're going to report me and i'm racist and Im a money grabbing cnt.

I've heard it all before. Usually by some dumb idiot after they have been refused RA in an apartment even after they read in the ad that there was no RA accepted, but thought it was just in the ad for the laugh. :confused:

Look at you. Commenting on apartments and people you have never seen and dont even know, and likely never will know, like you are making some kind of genius inspired statement. Think about what that tells us all about how intelligent you are. Or maybe you are just psychic. That must be it.
    Insulting comments not welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Hi Phil, petes here. I have a great deal on prepaid electricity meters at the minute. I know nothing about what I'm talking about and it's all a load of codwallop. Thanks for your custom.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A tenant wants to change provider. They sign contract with said provider. The tenancy comes to an end and you submit meter reading to said provider and transfer account into new tenants name or landlords name.

The contract is between electricity provider and the tenant. I don't see the big issue here (not particulalrly aimed at you purple).

I had a provider once onto me, when a tenant moved out short changing them, insisting that because it was my house I am liable for the outstanding bill. When I challenged them to provide me with a statute reference that makes me a liable party in a contract I never signed they stopped calling me. Other than that I never had an issue.
    Subsequently a tenant asked me if they could switch to prepay. I asked her will it cost me anything and will they uninstall it for free. The answer to both was Yes so of course she can do what she likes, she is the one paying for it.
    I reckon they just try and get payment through the path of least resistance regardless of who is actually liable (which of course is the tenant who used the electricity).

As for the poster who was complaining that he never hears from his landlord?? What do you want to hear from him about?

the_syco wrote: »
    Whilst the tenant is paying rent, the landlord is not allowed to enter the house without the tenants permission.

. . . My own contract states the Landlord may enter if he gives 24 hours notice. Is this not usual?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    As for the poster who was complaining that he never hears from his landlord?? What do you want to hear from him about?

If you read what I said you'll see why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

ted1 wrote: »
    it might be a pain the in the backside, but its part of running a buisness, which is what being a landalord is.

My view on this is, if the bill is not in my name i ain't paying it.

I don't think it's part of being a landlord to be left sucking up the cost of other peoples electricity. Like I said, I only started this after numerous problems with tenants and utilities before.

I haven't had anyone with a problem with it since... So I think I'll stick with it. I explain it up front. Anyone who 'ain't paying it', ain't moving in. :) It's a free market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

. . . My own contract states the Landlord may enter if he gives 24 hours notice. Is this not usual?

It's unusual as it implies that the landlord is coming into your home no matter what, as long as he gives 24 hours notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

im not 100% sure but I don't think thats in compliance with the law. I don't have the act in front of me but im sure someone will confirm it for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It would be on shaky ground alright. The landlord needs to give you adequate notice and only enter the premises with prior agreement from the tenant. He cannot come in if you do not invite him regardless of how much notice he gives you (emergency circumstances excluded)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The law states that the landlord can only enter the property when prior notice has been given and at the tenants convenience. The landlord cannot say Ill be here to let myself in tomorrow evening and expect to walk in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I was of the impression that the issue with unpaid utility bills is not that the landlord is liable for the outstanding amount (they are obviously not as they have no contract with the utility company), but that the utility company will not sign the account back over to the landlords name at the end of the tenancy while there is still an outstanding amount?

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It would be on shaky ground alright. The landlord needs to give you adequate notice and only enter the premises with prior agreement from the tenant. He cannot come in if you do not invite him regardless of how much notice he gives you (emergency circumstances excluded)

Of course the whole issue can be sidestepped by installing a prepay never between tenancies but let's not entertain the notion that a landlord can't install one in his own property - of course if in so doing he would be forcing you to break a contract with your existing supplier this would be a civil matter, in English law we call it 'frustration', I assume the same is true for Ireland?

Since we're on the topic, just moving into a new place, Landlord simply includes electricity with the rent, Allah be praised! :-)

Of course the whole issue can be sidestepped by installing a prepay never between tenancies but let's not entertain the notion that a landlord can't install one in his own property - of course if in so doing he would be forcing you to break a contract with your existing supplier this would be a civil matter, in English law we call it 'frustration', I assume the same is true for Ireland?

But he can't without the agreement of the tenant? He cannot set foot on the property without the agreement of the tenant. If he cuts off the tenants electricity he will find himself in a world of trouble.

As has already been said few tenants would live in a place with a prepay meter. You would be taking tenants from the bottom of the market unless you are lucky.
    Since we're on the topic, just moving into a new place, Landlord simply includes electricity with the rent, Allah be praised! :-)

Unlimited electricity for a fixed price? Electric heating here I come.
    djimi wrote: »
    I was of the impression that the issue with unpaid utility bills is not that the landlord is liable for the outstanding amount (they are obviously not as they have no contract with the utility company), but that the utility company will not sign the account back over to the landlords name at the end of the tenancy while there is still an outstanding amount?

What can happen is the tenant phones the utility company gives the landlords name and walks away. The utility company don't bother verifying the meter reading or checking with the landlord that he is happy to take over the account. This is what happened in my case but as I had never signed anything they had no recourse to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

No. Also a proper lease should allow him enter in the event of an emergency and the tenant is not available to allow access. Notification to be given as soon as possible to tenant

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

Just to update: I'm free to stay with energy provider I'm with at the moment. In other words I won't be forced into changing to prepay.
    Thanks for all replies.

Advertisement