Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant recommendation for Castlebar

Options
  • 20-06-2013 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Can anyone recommend a nice restaurant for a group of 10 ranging in age from 4 to 64. Traditional food. Doesn't necessarily have to be in Castlebar but preferably no further west (will be travelling from East Mayo). It's for Saturday June 29th (early evening). I see there is a sticky but it may be out of date at this stage.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Mulroys (Seasons) Castlebar is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

The two Rua restaurants

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Well, considering 2 restaurants have closed down in the last couple of months (The Voyage & The Moorings) im afraid you don't really have much choice except Mulroys Seasons on Main St. They do an early bird until 7pm (2 courses for €15, 3 for €20) and the food is nice middle of the road kind of stuff.
    Other than that The Harlequin or Breaffy house hotels might suit, cant recommend though as I haven't been to either in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Samhain wrote: »
    Well, considering 2 restaurants have closed down in the last couple of months (The Voyage & The Moorings) im afraid you don't really have much choice except Mulroys Seasons on Main St. They do an early bird until 7pm (2 courses for €15, 3 for €20) and the food is nice middle of the road kind of stuff.
    Other than that The Harlequin or Breaffy house hotels might suit, cant recommend though as I haven't been to either in years.

The harlequin is supposed to have nice food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Is An Carraig still open? Haven't been in a long while but was always good for steak and fish. Plus they had a decent chowder.

For some reason Castlebar always lagged behind Westport and to a lesser extent Ballina for grub.

Is Healys in pontoon still open? Grub was cracking but pricey. Appreciate it is further than poster intends travelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Sam Adams on Linenhall Street is a great spot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

finisklin wrote: »
    Is An Carraig still open? Haven't been in a long while but was always good for steak and fish. Plus they had a decent chowder.

For some reason Castlebar always lagged behind Westport and to a lesser extent Ballina for grub.

Is Healys in pontoon still open? Grub was cracking but pricey. Appreciate it is further than poster intends travelling.

Not really if they are coming from East Mayo, depends what part i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭piptypibe

Seasons upstairs in Mulroys or Harlequin hotel. Both are good.
    Bar One or Sam Adams less formal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

If you're coming from East Mayo with a group, would you not consider the Park Hotel in Kiltimagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Wouldnt rate the Park for Food. I have been there numerous times with my partents/siblings etc and the food wasnt great on any occasion. Got chowder the last time, there was a skin on the top of each bowl from where it had been microwaved to heat it up and it was so thick the spoon would nearly stand up in it! Another time my mother ordered a burger which had blood running out of it, fine for steak but for mince it isnt a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Thanks everybody for the recommendations.
    I have booked Seasons (upstairs in Mulroys).
    I'll let ye know next week how it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Just to let ye know we had a lovely evening in Seaons.
    The food was excellent and reasonably priced (especially the early bird).
    The staff in both the restaurant and bar downstairs were very helpful and friendly.
    Thanks to all here for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I was in Mulroys myself saturday in the bar. The steak was lovely.

Advertisement