Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Focus Problem

• 20-06-2013 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi.
    I bought a 05 ford focus 1.6 tdci 110bhp two years ago and shortly after buying it the egr valve went so i had it replaced. The car is extremely smokey and my mechanic told me to just drive it hard on motorway to clean it out but this didn't do any good. Two months ago the engine management light came on and it showed up that the egr valve was gone again but this time my mechanic tried cleaning it out.
    A few days later the car was very rattley and would drop in power for a second or two and perk up again. I was on my way home when this got very bad and it started happening more often. The car would lose power and then put a huge cloud of black smoke out and take off again. The car drove better when i had it at around 3000rpm but if i dropped below that it would start this problem again. when i stopped there was a very bad smell. I brought it to another mechanic which said it was the egr valve so he replaced it but it was still extremely sluggish and the black smoke was still very bad. Now he told me that the turbo is the problem but surely if it was the turbo it wouldn't still be giving such a surge right before this happened. Can a turbo cause severe black smoke or what do you think this is? The car was always very smokey so would the turbo not have gone ages ago? It was still giving the car a good kick untill this happened. please help, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Tbh it could be anything from a faulty injector(s) to a turbo problem.
    If the turbo has failed then it would not boost full stop....I think you need to find a garage who can check the injectors (leakback test first)
    With this black smoke i'd also be thinking the dpf is pretty blocked..:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tula90

thank you for your reply. can the dpf be taken out and cleaned?

tula90 wrote: »
    thank you for your reply. can the dpf be taken out and cleaned?

Not so easy on the focus as the the cat and dpf are all one unit...Tbh your best bet is to get someone who can find the root cause to this excess black smoke/poor running before you go fitting more parts,
    Maybe Post your location and there maybe someone here who can recommend a garage/mechanic in your area who has the know how and equipment to solve your problem..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tula90

I'm from Galway too, any recommendations? :)

tula90 wrote: »
    I'm from Galway too, any recommendations? :)

If you pm me where you are in Galway then i'll have a better idea whos in your area...:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Tula, I cannot offer any advice on this but my nephew sells re manufactured turbos,. If you end up needing one, p.m. Me and my nephew can save you hundreds. I often hear him advising people in difficulty and he always says "take the car to a main dealer or top class independent,and get the exact problem diagnosed on their computer." This will cost you a set amount, but at least you know where you are.
    Regards,rugby man.

Advertisement