Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity Science points 2013?

• 20-06-2013 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

It's been said that there's been an increase in demand for science courses.
    Last year the points for trinity science was 500.

What are your predicted minimum points for the course this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

I'd say 510.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It's been said that there's been an increase in demand for science courses.
    Last year the points for trinity science was 500.

Was that in the first or second round?

I thought they were higher in the first round at least tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

510 first round, 500 in the end if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Yep it was 510 on the first round last year. The year before that it was 475 on first round so quite a jump, but I think a lot of that was to do with bonus points for maths. If I had to guess I'd say maybe around 520 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I would imagine the points will be 520-525 first round, maybe dropping back to 510 for the second round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

According to the times like 2,200 applied for it last year. I can imagine it may go up slightly. You find on cao.ie what the middle student points were because the points you see are the cut off point. But for some courses the middle student was 505 for a course that was 495 meaning most students barely got in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

This is of interest.

1st preference to Science courses has gone up 3.29% on last year (as of Feb 1st, could be slightly different now after change of mind). Last year it was much more substantial, an 18.47% increase [source]. That, coupled with bonus maths points brought the points up to 510 from 475 - 35 points. If we assume 25 of that 35 point rise was due to maths (probably not a fair assumption but sure, we are only guesstimating here) that was 15 points with an 18% increase in 1st prefs.

So we can guesstimate (I say this because nobody can say for sure what the points are going to be until papers are corrected and the CAO compiles the data) that because the interest is only gone up another 3-4%, the points won't rise by much this year. Going on those figures alone it looks like 5 points. Though, we can't accurately go on those figures alone, for obvious reasons. The stats are interesting to look at, even though we can only guess the points by looking at them.

We won't know for sure 'til August. I reckon we're looking at a 10 point increase but it's just a guess really, it could only be 5, but it will probably go up. We're not going to see another 35 point rise though, that's for sure, unless we all did amazingly well in the exams. :P

Advertisement