Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Nude Woman In Westport !

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Ceepo wrote: »
    And why should Ti get bad press. What did they do wrong.

I'm sure Westport run a very good event and the best of luck to them.

But the technical official making sure the rules are applied. That's it the sport is ruined. Next they will be trying to make sure the water temperature/condidions are Ok.

Oh wait. .....

Sorry, didn't mean that ti deserved bad press, Just that they would be much better placed to answer questions on their rules than the event organizers.

I have no issue with the rule one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

MrCreosote wrote: »
    The rules are a joke! A bit of a wardrobe malfunction gets a DQ when something like this is not only allowed, but actually encouraged:

faris.jpg

If I wasn't such a fat cnut I would wear the same.. I love his style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Ceepo wrote: »
    Maybe allowed under WTC but not ITU. So I wouldn't go as far as to say encouraged.
    mloc123 wrote: »
    If I wasn't such a fat cnut I would wear the same.. I love his style.

Sorry, I meant the elliptical chainring.

Disgusting! Outrageous! It just looks all wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Ceepo

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Sorry, I meant the elliptical chainring.

Disgusting! Outrageous! It just looks all wrong...

Ha ha like it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Wardrobe malfuction ??? Since when is a towel part of your clothing ?? Theres proper clothing you can wear for triathlon, she choose not to wear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

Pics please to verify this infraction :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fitzgack

Is it the TI official that would issue the red card?

It was indeed a TI official that issue the DQ, Joe Duffy made it out that it was a Westport Triathlon Marshal. Disappointingly Triathlon Ireland they will not respond to the Media on this issue.

Fitzgack wrote: »
    It was indeed a TI official that issue the DQ, Joe Duffy made it out that it was a Westport Triathlon Marshal. Disappointingly Triathlon Ireland they will not respond to the Media on this issue.

I don't know if it was the same Joe. Duffy show that I was listing to but was it not the lady in question who said it was a marshal who gave her the red card.

Maybe if she knew the rules she would know that only the TI technical Official could give her a red card.

And why would /should TI talk to the media about it.

I see the press are trying to make a big thing out if it. With the" grueling" event. "Poor" woman.

If she went to the bridge club, hurling club, basketball club etc you play be the rules
    If you don't like the rules or dont want to play by them well then don't play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

(Serious question so I don't get DQed next time).So let me get this straight, I did a Tri Sprint a few weeks back. I'm a beginner who borrowed a wet suit and wore a pair of lycra togs underneath. I got to T1 pulled down the wet suit and put a cycling top on. Exposing both nipples for a short amount of time, then stripped off the rest of the wet suit. I'm a bloke (sorry lads for ruining the Monday buzz). So what you are telling me is that I should have been DQed for this and in future I have to wear a vest or a tri suit underneath the wetsuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

(Serious question so I don't get DQed next time).So let me get this straight, I did a Tri Sprint a few weeks back. I'm a beginner who borrowed a wet suit and wore a pair of lycra togs underneath. I got to T1 pulled down the wet suit and put a cycling top on. Exposing both nipples for a short amount of time, then stripped off the rest of the wet suit. I'm a bloke (sorry lads for ruining the Monday buzz). So what you are telling me is that I should have been DQed for this and in future I have to wear a vest or a tri suit underneath the wetsuit?

There is some confusion here... I believe men can be topless in transition but not on the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

mloc123 wrote: »
    There is some confusion here... I believe men can be topless in transition but not on the course.

Torso must be covered at all times.

From TI
    One or two piece tri suits may be worn, as may T-shirts and shorts. Nudity is unacceptable at any time and competitors are expected to observe a high standard of decorum. Regardless of which type of kit is worn, the uniform must be attached at both shoulders for the duration of the event. The torso must remain covered with front zips being undone no lower than a horizontal line running between the nipples.

There's no distinction made on men / women.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

Torso must be covered at all times.

From TI

There's no distinction made on men / women.

Didn't one of the lead men in Valentia get a one minute penalty for being topless on the run? If so why the difference in punishment topless man 1min / topless woman DQ ? (if no distinction made in the rules between genders)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I know the argument is that the rules are the rules, but am I the only one that thinks the statement
    competitors are expected to observe a high standard of decorum
    is a bit 1950s Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Does this mean that man boobs could cause an problem in transition?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I know the argument is that the rules are the rules, but am I the only one that thinks the statement is a bit 1950s Ireland ?
    The FFTRI seem to be trying to clean up the sport as well, from 5150 Marseilles:
    Yellow card: Urinating from the bike or in transition zones outside of the Dixi toilets

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/non-ironman/5150-marseille/athletes/rules-and-regulations.aspx#ixzz2XDvoi4jP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

longshank wrote: »
    Didn't one of the lead men in Valentia get a one minute penalty for being topless on the run? If so why the difference in punishment topless man 1min / topless woman DQ ? (if no distinction made in the rules between genders)
    apparently.., she says she saw other male competitors with bare chests and 1 with a bare arse.. so its more the inequality of the thing thats out of order.. rules are rules..thats grand..should apply to everone though.. t.i. referee shouldve dq'ed all of them or none of them..

woody1 wrote: »
    apparently.., she says she saw other male competitors with bare chests and 1 with a bare arse.. so its more the inequality of the thing thats out of order.. rules are rules..thats grand..should apply to everone though.. t.i. referee shouldve dq'ed all of them or none of them..

Yes but did the race ref see them ? I can see a guy doing something in a football but it means nothing if the ref didn't see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Yes but did the race ref see them ? I can see a guy doing something in a football but it means nothing if the ref didn't see it.

So the ref was only watching the women stripping? Bet it was a man who dq'd her

Lelantos wrote: »
    So the ref was only watching the women stripping? Bet it was a man who dq'd her

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Rules are rules but I would be aghast if I saw some TI Official brandishing a red card to me if changing my t-shirt, although women are being discriminated here as female breasts would be considered naughty bits

I assume this rule is then different for pool based triathlons when many male competitors would be swimming bare-chested in lyrca running shorts, are they going to force beginners to buy eye watering expensive tri suits for one race?

My two cents if I was that TI Official - I would have conveniently pretended I didn't see said breasts. They are well able to turn a blind eye to drafting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

It's a bit comical really that people are standing so squarely behind the rule in relation to a bit of flesh being shown.Rules are rules etc.
    But on another thread people are getting pretty excorcised when the Gardai/Fingal CC dare to implement a rule in relation to actual road safety.
    Hypocrasy much ???

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Guys just to add some clarity to the post and to the situation that Westport Triclub had no part in any descisions made by the TI official this is the statement that TI have supplied to us and for Media which will be on our site etc later :
    This statement has been provided by TI directly :

"Following on from the disqualification of an athlete from the Westport triathlon onSaturday 15th of June, Triathlon Ireland would like to provideclarity on the International Triathlon Union Rules regarding Uniforms inTriathlon, Aquathlon and Duathlon Events and the role of Technical Officials atevents.

TriathlonIreland, the Governing Body in Ireland is affiliated to the International Triathlon Union and therefore abides by the ITU competition rules. Over the past number of years we are delighted to report a huge growth in the number of sanctioned events and members competing in triathlon. In 2013 the figures stand at 180 sanctioned events, 80 affiliated clubs and some 8000 members who range from elite level to complete beginners. Our membership is currently 70% male, 30% female and we have set ourselves the ambitious target of achieving a 60:40ratio.

Weare very fortunate to have a strong club structure with clubs such as Westport TC providing races of the highest quality and an excellent training environment for the complete beginner up to elite standard. Westport TC has grown rapidly since its foundation and has a great many beginner and social triathletes who,like many involved in the sport do so for the health and fitness benefits. Theclub also boasts two of triathlons brightest hopes for future success in theform of a Junior World Bronze National and a Junior Squad athlete.

In order to ensure the fair, safe and fun running of sanctioned events, Triathlon Ireland assigns a minimum of two trained Technical Officials to every race inthe country. The role of a Technical Official can be a challenging one as they are tasked with enforcing the rules as set down by the ITU. It must be said that all 300 Triathlon Ireland Technical Officials are volunteers and give uptheir weekends to ensure events can go ahead in a safe and fair manner.

Regarding the Competition Rules on Uniforms in races they are in place to ensure a clean and professional image is upheld in our sport. The rule states “Nudity isunacceptable at any time and competitors are expected to observe a highstandard of decorum.”

Aswith any sport there are a variety of rules which must be abided by. With agreat number of first time triathletes at races each weekend, the TechnicalOfficials provide a race briefing on the morning of the race to bring competitors through the potential dangers on course as well as the rules of thecompetition.

Families are encouraged to come along and support and with transition areas often a key viewing point on course it is important that these uniform rules are upheld.For sake of clarity these uniform rules apply equally to both genders.

Credit to Westport Triathlon Club they have offered the competitor a free entry to next year’s event and have a number of coaches and new to tri training sessionswhere they welcome those new to the sport. Triathlon Ireland also holds anumber of Women’s Introduction to Triathlon Days which are advertised on www.triathlonireland.com.

TriathlonIreland Manual of Guidance, p 43, 3.11 HERE

ITUCompetition Rules, p 9, 2.8 HERE"

And so she gets soemthing for nothing:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Next time I do a particularly bad swim in a triathlon I'm going to flash my boobs to get in for free the next year :D

Oh I forgot- all my swims are bad!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Next time I do a particularly bad swim in a triathlon I'm going to flash my boobs to get in for free the next year :D

Oh I forgot- all my swims are bad!
    I would try that too, but I doubt anyone would notice.

If yee ladies wish to try out such a concept i'm willing to judge if they can be seen or out. All in the name of science of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

So can someone clarify for a relative newbie please - can a male triathlete be bare chested in Transition? Have done two, and been stripped to me Speedos in both...

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

merc230ce wrote: »
    So can someone clarify for a relative newbie please - can a male triathlete be bare chested in Transition? Have done two, and been stripped to me Speedos in both...

*bump*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

merc230ce wrote: »

A male being topless is not considered nudity/indecent in general society so you should be ok however...
    One or two piece tri-suits may be worn, as may T-shirts and shorts. Nudity
    is unacceptable at any time and competitors are expected to observe a high standard of
    decorum. Regardless of which type of kit is worn, the uniform must be attached at both
    shoulders for the duration of the event. The torso must remain covered with front zips
    being undone no lower than a horizontal line running between the nipples.

• Advertisement

A male being topless is not considered nudity/indecent in general society so you should be ok however...

And any TO who would try implement the rule would not doubt be called a "power hungry B@all@x".

But they could if they wanted to :). Its in the rules ;)

Advertisement