Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent, Moving Out and Landlords Demands

Options
  • 20-06-2013 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Four of my friends and I left a basement apartment in Dublin at the end of May as our lease was up. We fell on hard times and asked the landlord to use the security deposit as the last months rent.

I got a phone call today (3 weeks later) from the landlord looking for 300 euro to cover the cost of cleaning the place. When we left the house was clean, even more so than when we moved in. She said that the oven needed to be steam cleaned, the toilets were filthy and the floors needed washing. She said they hired someone to do this.

When I first moved into the house, it was PLAGUED with mold and damp. The back walls of two bedrooms and the bathroom were black. Other places the damp was painted over, yet still visible. The kicker being that the painters had been in and left the toilet filthy, like used and not flushed.

I spent a great deal of time cleaning this mess and making the place habitable yet the mold kept coming back as the apartment was a basement one and riddled with damp. The smoke alarms do not work and the fire extinguisher didn't either. We should have left but we thought it better to ride it out for the 9 months we would be there. [Rent was 1200 a month for the 4 bed (basement) apartment in the city centre]

I am almost certain the house was in no fit state to be rented to anybody.

I think it is thoroughly unreasonable that she is demanding 300 euro to clean the place when we left it BETTER than we found it IMO

She has threatened to add us to a renters ''blacklist'' which apparently means we won't find another landlord willing to let to us. Does such a thing exist?

What are your thoughts? How do we avoid this whole debacle?

Thanks for your time and opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

She has threatened to add us to a renters ''blacklist'' which apparently means we won't find another landlord willing to let to us. Does such a thing exist?

Only in her mind...

Overall if she wants to deduct €300 for cleaning then she needs to have the receipts/invoices to back it up, and she would want to have a good deal of evidence to back up a cleaning bill like that.

Did you take any pictures of the state of the place when you were leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

djimi wrote: »
    Only in her mind...

Overall if she wants to deduct €300 for cleaning then she needs to have the receipts/invoices to back it up, and she would want to have a good deal of evidence to back up a cleaning bill like that.

Did you take any pictures of the state of the place when you were leaving?

Unfortunately not. I mean we never thought there would be a problem. The house was cleaned to the best of our ability. The place was a dive, no doubt about it. I have a feeling they want money to paint over the mold and damp for their new tenants.

Have you any evidence of the state of the place when you moved in? Did you bring any of the issues to the landlords attention at the start, and if so have you anything in writing to back any of this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Next time she phones. Tell her to stop calling you.

Thats what my previous landlord told me when she stole 300 Euro out of each of our deposits on a three bed that was EXTENSIVELY cleaned before our departure.

You could eat your dinner off any floor in the building when we left.

That woman was a wealthy range rover driving tyrant.

Have you any evidence of the state of the place when you moved in? Did you bring any of the issues to the landlords attention at the start, and if so have you anything in writing to back any of this up?

I have old emails detailing the mold problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

She said that the oven needed to be steam cleaned, the toilets were filthy and the floors needed washing. She said they hired someone to do this.

That doesn't sound like it costs 300 euro - she'd need to back up that with receipts. Apart from that, wouldn't this just be normal wear and tear? As long as the place wasn't a sty when you left it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Indeed hindsight is a wonderful thing. When moving in take pictures of the place preferably with the date on the picture (most modern cameras have this function), get your landlord/agent to confirm that these photos reflect the condition of the dwelling upon the commencement of the lease. Upon leaving at the conclusion of the lease take more photos again with the date on them and get agreement (preferably in writing) that the photos reflect the true condition of the dwelling at the end of the lease. If this does go to appeal then these photos will form the basis of your side of the case.

If your landlord/agent has invoices/receipts to cover the €300 I am not sure how to advise on this as it could be a genuine expense.

That doesn't sound like it costs 300 euro - she'd need to back up that with receipts. Apart from that, wouldn't this just be normal wear and tear? As long as the place wasn't a sty when you left it.

I honestly don't know where 300 came from. It was just as was when we moved in. It's very frustrating to be blackmailed and threatened when in truth the house should not be on the rental market AT ALL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

lycan238 wrote: »
    If your landlord/agent has invoices/receipts to cover the €300 I am not sure how to advise on this as it could be a genuine expense.

You could, genuinely, spend a lot of cash cleaning and tidying up - surely they'd have to prove it was required and above and beyond normal wear and tear?

To be honest, I dont really see that there is a lot that you can do. Its not like you are waiting to get your deposit returned, so right now the ball is in her court; she can (and quite possibly will) take a case against you with the PRTB. If she has invoices to justify the expense and photographic evidence that backs up her claim regarding the state of the place then they might rule in her favour (and the fact that you didnt pay your last months rent could possibly go against you somewhat). If she is not prepared to go through the PRTB then she is just blowing hot air, and can be ignored.

• Advertisement

This whole thing is complicated by the fact that the LL works through a letting agency and we never spoke to the LL once nor do we have his details. All this threatening and demanding is coming from the agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

Can I ask,.. without getting into specifics,.

Is this apartment in the south side of the city? near the canal?

doughef wrote: »
    Can I ask,.. without getting into specifics,.

Is this apartment in the south side of the city? near the canal?

No, it's north side. Not too far from O Connell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

No, it's north side. Not too far from O Connell St.

ok,.. Thanks. Had my suspicions it was South Side.

Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sounds like the agent is trying to get ye to pay for the repainting which most agents will do between tenacies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

By the sounds of the place with all the mould it probably is not up to standards regarding vents and circulation. So I think regardless of whether you give her the money. Call dcc and report the apartment for nothing have the proper stanrdards.

I have never heard of a renters blacklist and I think with the €300 she is hoping you wont question it. Ask her for receipts and if she has no. Don't pay her

hfallada wrote: »
    By the sounds of the place with all the mould it probably is not up to standards regarding vents and circulation. So I think regardless of whether you give her the money. Call dcc and report the apartment for nothing have the proper stanrdards. Ask her for receipts and if she has no. Don't pay her

Firstly yes if it is not up to standards report it to the local council. Secondly if the landlord/agent is not able to prove that the €300 was used for cleaning/painting etc then I would not pay it and would report both the above to the PRTB.

Firstly yes if it is not up to standards report it to the local council. Secondly if the landlord/agent is not able to prove that the €300 was used for cleaning/painting etc then I would not pay it and would report both the above to the PRTB.

To be perfectly honest, I wouldnt bother going to the PRTB about this. What has the OP to gain? Its not like the landlord is withholding the deposit; they lost that when they didnt pay their last months rent. As far as Im concerned, I would ignore it and leave it to the landlord to take a case with the PRTB if they choose to. The OP only needs to contest it if given something to contest; right now the landlord is only blowing hot air demanding a very questionable amount of money for cleaning that may or may not have been required.

To be perfectly honest, I wouldnt bother going to the PRTB about this. What has the OP to gain? Its not like the landlord is withholding the deposit; they lost that when they didnt pay their last months rent. As far as Im concerned, I would ignore it and leave it to the landlord to take a case with the PRTB if they choose to. The OP only needs to contest it if given something to contest; right now the landlord is only blowing hot air demanding a very questionable amount of money for cleaning that may or may not have been required.

fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

You're lucky OP I'd ignore her and if she continues to contact you about it warn here that you'll class it as harassment 300 exactly is too square a number to be anything but a made up figure. My last landlord decided to steal 400 from our deposit, for "cleaning some dust from the bottom of the kitchen cabinets and removing some wax from a fireplace" PRTB tribunal thing is on next month for it - very long drawn out process, only reason I'm doing it is that I don't want the landlord to feel like he can get away with this crap - house was spotless when we left!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

doughef wrote: »
    ok,.. Thanks. Had my suspicions it was South Side.

Best of luck with it!

I was going to say the same... had similar experience in Rathmines good few years ago.. a dump and the landlady took money off for mold in bathroom etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Hi guys,
    Four of my friends and I left a basement apartment in Dublin at the end of May as our lease was up. We fell on hard times and asked the landlord to use the security deposit as the last months rent.

I'm surprised they let you do that to be honest.

gaius c wrote: »
    I'm surprised they let you do that to be honest.

They probably figured it was all they were going to get, and that it was better than nothing. Trying to get €1200 out of someone who has told you that they have fallen on hard times is not likely to be an easy task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Indeed hindsight is a wonderful thing. When moving in take pictures of the place preferably with the date on the picture (most modern cameras have this function), get your landlord/agent to confirm that these photos reflect the condition of the dwelling upon the commencement of the lease. Upon leaving at the conclusion of the lease take more photos again with the date on them and get agreement (preferably in writing) that the photos reflect the true condition of the dwelling at the end of the lease. If this does go to appeal then these photos will form the basis of your side of the case.

+1

Though I don't really understand why people say a place is dire, inhabitable then move in for 12 months.

While mould can be causes by damp and poor ventilation, it can also be caused by peoples habit of not not opening windows when cooking, showering and drying clothes. I know of one LL who won on this issue and retained the deposit when it brought to PRTB, but they had photo evidence etc.

Using the last months rent is very common and breaks the lease. While I can understand why people do it, its kinda double sided to want the LL to follow the letter of the lease while not doing it yourself. It always puts the LL on edge as often its done to skip out on paying for repairs.

Still LL isn't going to chase anyone for 300, it would cost too much to get it back. There isn't a black list either. If you want a tenant to pay for repairs or cleaning, you should meet the tenant and show them the issue face to face at the property. 3 weeks later is nonsense. This is why there needs to be a proper handover.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SashaBond

Had an awful experience with 2 of the landlords when I lived in Dublin and neither of them returned deposit. Oh, wait, one did - 200 out of 1200.

First place we lived in was an apartment in a new built, and we were super clean and super tidy tenants. Not only we did not break or take anything - we actually left a bunch of useful stuff in the apartment. Our lanlord told us some stuff was missing, walls were stained, floors dirty - blah blah blah. It took us a day to clean the place before we left, and it was uber clean. No deposit back. And we didn't take photos.

Unfortunately, we fell for the 'niceness' of our new landlord in the new place and thought: 'Surely this one cannot be as bad as the other one' + it was really hard for us to find any place whatsoever, as non of the agencies I called (several time) would return my calls or offer us anything.

So, second time, we didn't take photos. Lived in the place for 2 years, took meticulous care, had 2 very quiet parties in the place, bought lots of cutlery (as there wasn't much there), fixed things that broke throughout because of wear and tear and even bought a few appliances that weren't there (hoover etc). We left it all in the place and it took us 2 days to clean everything, making sure that the apartment was sparkling clean.

Moving out, landlord said we took things, they had to re-paint the entire place and hire cleaners - blah blah blah. As a 'gesture of goodwill' they gave us 200 Euros back...

I'm in a new place abroad now, took photos of every inch of the apartment here (as here we had to pay 3 months deposit) and mailed it to myself - so I have a stamped and sealed envelope to when these photos were taken.

Good luck all ;)

Sash

3 months deposit. Its really something we need to move to in Ireland.

Was it furnished?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SashaBond

beauf wrote: »

Was it furnished?

The new one? Nope :) Unfurnished. I live in Denmark now and it's a standard practice here: 3 months deposit, get your own furniture & everything else, most places don't even have washing machines in and you have to re-paint the walls after you move out too ;)

Same in Germany. It makes much more sense the Irish system.

No issues with items missing, or cleaning, repairs to devices. Or using last month as deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Tell her you are adding her to the landlords blacklist in return for the renters blacklist

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »

Not before we get a proper deposit holding scheme its not. The idea of risking one months deposit is bad enough; no way I would hand over any more than that to any landlord/agent unless I knew that it was being held by an impartial third party.

Advertisement