Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition Against Real Madrid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Why just Real Madrid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

mitosis wrote: »
    Why just Real Madrid?

Due to the petition being started by a Spurs fan, I assume. Though if it raises awareness for the game in general, what harm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

Ths is a bit embarrassing DubP.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Ths is a bit embarrassing DubP.

It's a bit embarrassing that UEFA/FIFA sit back and take the mick out of football. You don't have to sign it.

What's the chances a petition like will make a difference? Unlikely. Though it's free and I have 20 seconds of my life to spare, what's the harm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Yeah I don't really get all this hatred of Madrid / Zidane / Ramos / Modric etc

They get asked in interviews if they would like Bale at the club and they say yeah sure, would love to have him here.

Even if it is slightly more pre-meditated when it comes to Perez or the likes, it's no different to what we've done to smaller clubs many times over.

Until we become one of the biggest clubs in the world, we will always be a selling club to the biggest clubs in the world.

The best we can hope for is to hold onto them for as long as possible and then get top dollar for them and sell them to a club outside of our league, such as Madrid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

We'll have the last laugh when we keep him :D

Ps: Sorry to dis your thread DP

I'm an avid reader of your Players to Watch thread

Ormus wrote: »
    Ps: Sorry to dis your thread DP

I'm an avid reader of your Players to Watch thread

No worries, I won't take it personally. :)

I just saw that petition on Facebook and threw it up here.

I appreciate that Zidane et al are just responding to questions, but it all looks way to co-ordinated and direct. It completely lacks respect. The fact we signed a 'partnership' deal with them last year only makes it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Responding to questions is one thing. Openly telling the world of Football that the player should hand in a transfer request is a completely different thing.

Petition isn't stupid or embarrassing at all. FIFA is the one who are embarrassing. They are a football governing body who don't understand the meaning of the word govern.

This here is as definitive as they come in tapping up. Nevermind the question he was asked.
    "I think Real Madrid have made their admiration of Gareth Bale very clear - and it has been made clear that we would not be put off by the cost of the player,"

"But if Gareth feels now is the time to move then he has to have a private discussion with his club and express that he wants to leave."

Zidane

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I don't think we can be complaining about tapping up just yet after having Harry for a few years we need a few more years before we can sit on our horse!

Sure he probably didn't even know he was tapping up half the players he just talked so much about everyone elses players a few of them were bound to be targets!

• Advertisement

irishmover wrote: »
    Responding to questions is one thing. Openly telling the world of Football that the player should hand in a transfer request is a completely different thing.

Petition isn't stupid or embarrassing at all. FIFA is the one who are embarrassing. They are a football governing body who don't understand the meaning of the word govern.

This here is as definitive as they come in tapping up. Nevermind the question he was asked.

Zidane

Of course that is tapping up but so what? Every single day of this and every summer, the papers are full of quotes from players, managers, agents and chairmen making comments about some player and where he is going or who he should go to.

If Uefa made a firm, enforced law with set penalties against anyone talking about any player of another club, then that might deter the tapping up of players. Until then, it's a free for all. Bigger clubs will usually do whatever they can to get the player they want, as long as they know that the punishment for tapping up will never fit the crime.

Uefa aren't going to bring in a proper law against it, simply because tapping up is very good for business. It increases the number of transfers, it gets the most glamorous clubs and the most glamorous players together, it sells papers, it brings more money into football.

And apart from that it would be very hard to stop even if they did want to stop it. It would mean bringing law suits against every loose comment made by Luka Modric or the likes when they are asked what they think of Gareth Bale or whoever is the media's flavour of the month.

Zidane's comment was a bit more blatant than most but does anyone seriously think it's possible that Uefa will punish him in such a way that he will truly regret having made the comment? I'd say he will laugh at the 10k fine and 'slap on the wrist' which may or may not come his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

Anyone remember John Bostock?

This is football sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Better to have one of your players tapped up by Madrid than Barcelona though in fairness. At least Madrid look like their gonna pay a ridiculous amount of money for him when they sign him. I say when because even if it doesn't happen this season, barring a major injury or massive dip in form, it probably will next season. I've said it before though, if ye take that money and invest it in the squad ye'll be in a better position squad wise.

Advertisement