Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

price of quote

Options
  • 20-06-2013 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,

I have just gotten planning permission for a house in Westmeath that is 2700 sq foot and am hoping to build asap. We have gotten a quote from a builder and are quite surprised by some of the figures.

We are going blockwork with stud walls upstairs.

I do not know much about these things but I still thought some of the prices would be less. The plastering is quoted as 25k, roof and carpentry 45k, site clearance 25k..there is an old cottage around 700 square foot to be demolished and cleared away. The roof has two main identical A frame sections, with an A-symmetrical A-frame joining the two, and with two small lean to sections at ground floor level and no eaves .. thanks for any advice in advance.

I can pm plans for anyone to see if they want

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

What was the total price/quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

rurz23 wrote: »
    I do not know much about these things but I still thought some of the prices would be less.

To be fair, this is generally the problem. I will never understand how or why people end up with planning permission on houses with no idea of what the cost of the build is going to be.

The prices quoted must be based on some sort of specification and simply stating overall lump sum figures is not going to get you any closer to knowing what the correct price should be.

For example if I ask 5 builders to price for a Door, I will get 5 different prices whereas if I ask 5 builders to price for a 6 panel regency door, the prices should be fairly in line with each other. You need to do this for your own property and then get x amount of builders to price each item and this will give you a clearer picture (or hire a quantity surveyor who can do up a cost plan from which to work)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,052 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to Prices/costs

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rurz23

Total price was 192500 not including sanitary ware or kitchen.

Does it include:
    VAT
    all floor, wall and ceiling finishes
    all doors, skirtings and architraves including ironmongery
    external works
    plumbing and heating and ventilation and solar panels
    electrics (first and second)
    windows and doors
    etc etc

Its very hard to give an idea of how it stands unless we know exactly what is included and to what specification.

As a rough guide your property should cost 270,000 to build to a reasonable standard so I would assume there is a lot of items not accounted for in your quote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

You will not build it for that. Not a hope.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

sinnerboy wrote: »
    You will not build it for that. Not a hope.

You might...but to what standard? That would be my worry. :rolleyes:

I'd agree with kkelliher...you'd want to be budgeting E 270,000 to build to a reasonable standard (and in compliance with Part L 2011).

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

Hi rurz23. I'm in the same position as you right now, and roughly the same size house at 2800sq foot.
    Had it in my head that build cost would be approx. 280k (@ 100e per sq foot), but for a better finish, had allowed 350k or a little more.
    Shocked to be quoted in excess of 600k. Lowest is 500k.
    Admittedly, included are block walls throughout, garage, plus planted lawn, driveway, boundary wall...but still I'm surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,052 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Shocked to be quoted in excess of 600k. Lowest is 500k.
    Without knowing the layout/design and spec I'd say it's time for you to look for another couple of quotes.

Shocked to be quoted in excess of 600k. Lowest is 500k..

If you are getting this type of spread in your tenders, can I ask what level of detail you sent to the builders for quotes? Did you send a detailed schedule for pricing or did you send drawings and spec or simply drawings?

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Without knowing the layout/design and spec I'd say it's time for you to look for another couple of quotes.

You think looking for more quotes will help?
    6 quotes obtained, evenly divided out between 500-600k so I'm figuring they all can't be wrong therefore house will cost at least 500k. Wrong way to look at it maybe.
    The builders who were asked to quote came recommended by architect firm, so didn't do any leg work myself trying to source alternatives.

kkelliher wrote: »
    If you are getting this type of spread in your tenders, can I ask what level of detail you sent to the builders for quotes? Did you send a detailed schedule for pricing or did you send drawings and spec or simply drawings?

Detailed schedule (over 30 docs) from architect and engineer sent to tender. Went to a lot of effort with the design\layout and finishes to minimize possible tweaks when building starts - all in an effort to get quotes that wouldn't need to be reworked later.

The 600k price (above 600k actually) initially looked like a red-herring, but looking at next most expensive I see it is not much under 60ok.
    Right now I could buy a 5400 sq. ft house near Galway city with an ocean view in a private estate for the same price as largest quote. And the site is included in that house price :eek:

OP, sorry for the hijack.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

@ rampantbunny- fancy showing us the GA plans & elevations of the gaff?

BryanF wrote: »
    @ rampantbunny- fancy showing us the GA plans & elevations of the gaff?
    Hi BryanF. I'll have to let some time pass before I can\should do that. Tender process is not yet finished and don't want any builders who've quoted reading this and gleaning details of others quotes.
    Well, if I'm honest I don't really care if builders find out, because the quotes mean none of them will get the job, but architect who organised tender wants this done by the book.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi BryanF. I'll have to let some time pass before I can\should do that. Tender process is not yet finished and don't want any builders who've quoted reading this and gleaning details of others quotes.
    Well, if I'm honest I don't really care if builders find out, because the quotes mean none of them will get the job, but architect who organised tender wants this done by the book.
    Fair play, and rightly so! I didn't realise the verdict was still out:o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

5400 sq ft!!!! Sweet God! Is that a hotel :)
    Think of the hoovering :D

Good luck with the build, would be grt to see some detail during the build, for nosiness purposes of course :D

yop wrote: »
    5400 sq ft!!!! Sweet God! Is that a hotel :)
    Think of the hoovering :D

Good luck with the build, would be grt to see some detail during the build, for nosiness purposes of course :D

Ha ha..if you have to vacuum that place yourself, then you shouldn't have bought it. Those houses were €1.5m when first went on sale.

As for the nosiness, if you are a tradesman that works for free, you can certainly come and help out on site. I think that's the most effective way of satisfying nosiness :P

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ha ha..if you have to vacuum that place yourself, then you shouldn't have bought it. Those houses were €1.5m when first went on sale.

As for the nosiness, if you are a tradesman that works for free, you can certainly come and help out on site. I think that's the most effective way of satisfying nosiness :P

I will have to make up a trade so :D

yop wrote: »
    I will have to make up a trade so :D

OK. You can have a look if you previously worked in the national mint, or are a magician...very acceptable trades these days.

OK. You can have a look if you previously worked in the national mint, or are a magician...very acceptable trades these days.

Well fup me, I'm just after getting a degree in magicianinining

Advertisement