Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale Agreed - Survey done, can I get more off?

Options
  • 20-06-2013 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi went sale agreed on house at asking price. I've since got survey done & just received report. While the structure of house in good condition the report outlines some needed repairs to hipped roof, insulation, slight dampness, upgrade of electrics, new pvc windows throughout, updating of heating etc all in all the repairs will come to around €12k.

What do I do now, do I get solicitor to help me get at least half/all of this knocked off my sale agreed price or do i go back to estate agent who will prob just bluff me off with other willing buyers.

What have you done at this stage in negotiations? Any help/advice is much needed,

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Im sure most of those things are recommendations and not requirements for repairs. You can ask for a reduction on the basis of the report but given what you have listed if I was the seller Id be telling you to F off

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

D3PO wrote: »
    Im sure most of those things are recommendations and not requirements for repairs. You can ask for a reduction on the basis of the report but given what you have listed if I was the seller Id be telling you to F off

I'd have to agree with D3PO
    You're always going to get a list like this when you do a survey- things that would be nice to get done- not entirely necessary- but they'd all be improvements on the situation as it currently stands. if you cover everything on the list and get it re-surveyed- you'll be given a new list of improvements that you could do. Its life.

If you tried to use it on most sellers these days- depending on where the property is of course, most will tell you to take a flying leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Surely the majority of those - windows, heating, damp, age of electrics, were visible to you and any other viewers and are already taken in to account in the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

MYOB wrote: »
    Surely the majority of those - windows, heating, damp, age of electrics, were visible to you and any other viewers and are already taken in to account in the price?

exactly why if I were the seller id tell them to go jump. As the conductor pointed out you will always have this kind of thing show on a survey. You cant blame somebody for trying, nothing ventured nothing gained but the chances of them even entertaining the discussion would be slim

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Pay the price you agreed, nothing* in that list would give reason for a reduction.

*the roof may but you don't provide enough.

How old is the house, is it reasonable to expect not yo have to do work to a 30+ year old house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

If you were told that the bricks were crumbling, the extension had no foundations, and the roof joints were rotten etc. well then you might have some case to make.
    Currently what you've listed is all cosmetic, except the roof.
    What exactly is the issue with the roof? If the total is 12,000 for all you listed especially the windows and heating, the issues with the roof isn't going to be major.
    That said, I'd try it. The seller may be desperate for a buyer and willing to budge a few gs to secure the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How does the survey compare to the description of the property in the advertising? If it says 'in need of refurbishment', you can't really claim you didn't expect there to be some cost.
    repairs to hipped roof, slight dampness, /QUOTE]These, I would look for a contribution for.
    upgrade of electrics, updating of heating
    These are less clear cut, and will depend on the condition of the existing. If it is a boiler that is on its last legs, it would be hard to work this out in the middle of summer. If the electrics date from 1940, it should be obvious they need replacement, but if it is something more subtle, like replacing a fuse board, it would be harder to expect an ordinary buyer to appreciate that work is needed.
    insulation, new pvc windows throughout,
    These should have been relatively easy for you to expect to have to do yourself.
    all in all the repairs will come to around €12k.
    How does this compare to your bid / the general pricing of the property?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

D3PO wrote: »
    exactly why if I were the seller id tell them to go jump. As the conductor pointed out you will always have this kind of thing show on a survey. You cant blame somebody for trying, nothing ventured nothing gained but the chances of them even entertaining the discussion would be slim

I'd probably mention the roof, but not expect anything from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

There is nothing stopping you from going back to to the estate agent and saying that based on the report that you are dropping your original bid by £12000, it's done all the time and is part of the game,they'll take the new offer to their client and might return with a counter offer of knocking £6000 or so off if the client is anxious to sell and fearful of the the same thing happening with the next successful bidder with another survey, or else they'll reject it hoping that that you'll go ahead anyway with the original bid.
    It's a game of brinksmanship.
    If you don't ask you'll never know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

housetypeb wrote: »
    There is nothing stopping you from going back to to the estate agent and saying that based on the report that you are dropping your original bid by £12000, it's done all the time and is part of the game,they'll take the new offer to their client and might return with a counter offer of knocking £6000 or so off if the client is anxious to sell and fearful of the the same thing happening with the next successful bidder with another survey, or else they'll reject it hoping that that you'll go ahead anyway with the original bid.
    It's a game of brinksmanship.
    If you don't ask you'll never know.

Its not done all the time anymore- if you're in any of the bigger urban centres- you're on a high way to no-where doing this. I am personally aware of one property a few doors down, where the prospective buyer tried this- not only did the owner tell her to take a flying leap, she is also refusing to have any further dealings with her.

In major urban centres- there is a shortage of property- and you will not get away with playing these games. In the suburbs and rural areas- its fair game- as buyers are still limited, in comparison to the amount of property on the market (both formally and informally).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Independance

Ok I can see your points, house is in a village 3bed semi with garage built in early 60's. Of course I would have expected to count in upgrades and redecoration but thought most people get 1/2K knocked off when they get survey done and few probs appear. I agreed 230k for house which was the asking price, but I highly suspect I was bidding against myself towards the end as the bidding process was a little strange, hard to explain.

I might be wasting my time, but surely if I dont asked to get 1/2k knocked off on basis it needs about 10k in upgrades I won't know will I? What I'm paying for it is my max and any 1/2k back in my pocked will help me get upgrades done.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Where is this house located?

If you've bid your max. and then discover the property requires substantial remedial work you'll be over stretched financially.

I'd be inclined to look elsewhere tbh.

Advertisement