Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MG ZS advice before buying!!

• 20-06-2013 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hey, so as the title says im thinking of buying a 2005 MG ZS 1.4 105+ from a local SIMI dealer. Iv always loved them but I don't know much about them. I know that the head gasket can give trouble but this one has been changed 20k kms ago and has had a new clutch fitted this week. He is also offering me a 3 month warranty with the car.
    Can anybody tell me anything else about them good or bad? I don't want to end up with a car that will cost me more on repairs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Have you a link to the ad?

How much are you paying?

He had to give you a 3 month warranty btw

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Have you a link to the ad?

How much are you paying?

He had to give you a 3 month warranty btw

http://www.carzone.ie/search/MG/ZS/105+-4DR/36513711967581720/advert?channel=CARS

well he didn't have to he could just sell it as seen. I would be trading my 02 astra against it so not too sure how much he will give me for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's a very strong asking price there for an 8 year old MG imo.

Petey89 wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/MG/ZS/105+-4DR/36513711967581720/advert?channel=CARS

well he didn't have to he could just sell it as seen. I would be trading my 02 astra against it so not too sure how much he will give me for that.
    No he couldn't sell it to a general member of the public without a warranty.

Anyway the price stated is 3350. How much does he want along with your car?

Weak points are the coolant system and gearboxes. Not a bad car apart from that. Good power from the k series and a light enough body. Won't win any races but I must admit I do like them a lot.

bazz26 wrote: »

I have to agree.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    I thought that it was a bit on the high side but its always guna be a lot dearer than a private seller, there was one on donedeal the very same just blue for 2700 but I would have no come back on it and I want to trade mine against it.

besides the price, what would you say about the car itself?

Looks fine. I'm on the phone but can't make out any respray of damage from the pictures.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Looks fine. I'm on the phone but can't make out any respray of damage from the pictures.

Yeah iv been to see it and I couldn't see any signs of any damage, only thing was a small tare in the driver seat. it is in very good condition I haven't got to drive it yet though due to the clutch not been fitted till 2moro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭goochy

Hey, so as the title says im thinking of buying a 2005 MG ZS 1.4 105+ from a local SIMI dealer. Iv always loved them but I don't know much about them. I know that the head gasket can give trouble but this one has been changed 20k kms ago and has had a new clutch fitted this week. He is also offering me a 3 month warranty with the car.
    Can anybody tell me anything else about them good or bad? I don't want to end up with a car that will cost me more on repairs.

Hi mileage and price u should get it for a lot Less ! Doesn't bill Cullen work there ? U can get a rover 75 for that price much better car !

• Advertisement

goochy wrote: »
    Hi mileage and price u should get it for a lot Less ! Doesn't bill Cullen work there ? U can get a rover 75 for that price much better car !
    I wouldn't consider it that high for an 05 the average yearly mileage on a car would be 10k like so its not too far off being 8 years old. his picture is on the side of the building alright think he could be the owner.
    I did look at the 45 they are cheaper but no where near as nice to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Try to imagine what a garage would buy an mg zs without a clutch for.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Try to imagine what a garage would buy an mg zs without a clutch for.
    Oh I know he probably got it for nothing, if I do go for it i am going to try and get the price down on it. there is only one other 05 ZS on carzone and they are looking for 4500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

They are nice looking cars Imo but they do have their issues. Later cars are fitted with a pektron bcu which does give problems leading to the car developing erratic electrical problems. Other issues are noisy tappets(if you could call that an issue) and of course as you know hg failure is common. Earlier cars also gave gearbox issues due to the peugeot gearbox that they were fitted with being a bit soft. Later cars had a more robust ford unit and should be fine.

They imo really are only worth considering if they are going cheap as they are basically a reworked 1992 honda domani undearneath except the mg rover comes with an inferior engine gearbox to the Honda. One positive thing though is that the suspension being based on a 90's Honda is sophisticated with fully independent suspension and double wishbone on the front which makes the mg zs a great drivers car with great handling.

I wouldn't consider it that high for an 05 the average yearly mileage on a car would be 10k like so its not too far off being 8 years old. his picture is on the side of the building alright think he could be the owner.
    I did look at the 45 they are cheaper but no where near as nice to look at.
    Its high mileage for the type of car it is I was talking about the 75 not 45

aw right I see, I don't like the 75 at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

105k miles is not high mileage on this type of car. Most superminis can handle more mileage than that with ease.

These cars are based on a Honda chassis which is well proven to be able to handle mega miles with ease.

If any thing were to fail due to mileage it would probably be the engine which kind of nullifies your point as the 75 shares the same type of engine as the 45.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    They are nice looking cars Imo but they do have their issues. Later cars are fitted with a pektron bcu which does give problems leading to the car developing erratic electrical problems. Other issues are noisy tappets(if you could call that an issue) and of course as you know hg failure is common. Earlier cars also gave gearbox issues due to the peugeot gearbox that they were fitted with being a bit soft. Later cars had a more robust ford unit and should be fine.

They imo really are only worth considering if they are going cheap as they are basically a reworked 1992 honda domani undearneath except the mg rover comes with an inferior engine gearbox to the Honda. One positive thing though is that the suspension being based on a 90's Honda is sophisticated with fully independent suspension and double wishbone on the front which makes the mg zs a great drivers car with great handling.
    To be honest I don't know what tappets are! I thinking because the HG was changed that it should be ok now.

To be honest I don't know what tappets are! I thinking because the HG was changed that it should be ok now.

I was thinking about how u can get a BMW engine dsl 75 for simalar money I quite like rovers and Mgs but this car is priced too high for what it is unless a car is German or Japanese over 100 k mls makes a car worth peanuts

Advertisement