Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it necessary to service a gas boiler annually?

Options
  • 20-06-2013 3:42pm

Victor u seem to know about accomodation matters.
    A board gais new boiler installed in a new house in 2007 by reg gas installer. It was serviced and the service man puts a sticker on it saying it has to be serviced a year from that day. Do you know if its necessary to service this every year for 120 euro or is it a money racket. I have 2 smoke alarms, 2 carbon minoxide detectors and the unit is in use between 5 and 6 months a year. I have it serviced 6 times costing 720, never a problem with it, works perfect, happy with the bills. Does every house on natural gas do this on an annual basis? Anyone that can help please advise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,364 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It is recommended annually, but I'm not aware of it being in any way mandatory. The suggestion is that sometimes the boiler settings are changed inadvertently and need re-setting.

It is usually cheapest to do during the summer, as gas fitters are busier during the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

there's nothing in law however if god forbid something was to happen and one of your tenants was to die as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning regardless of the fact you have detectors for this you may well be found criminally negligent.

Its also likely in the long run to be cheaper to regularly service the boiler as failure to do so is more likely to cause a large failure of the boiler down the line.

Given the maintenance is tax deductible on your tax return and nothing good can come of not having it serviced the question should be why wouldn't you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A service only increases efficiency by 2% ( seai) figures the other reasons for a service a to prevent it breaking but is it worth €120 a year when a repair might be 200 every 3 years.

That leaves safety, if there is working carbon monoxide sensors and they are tested regular I don't see the need for an annual service, why not check the manual to see if there is a recommendation on service intervals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I have spoken to a plumber has done them in the past and who have said its a bit of a scam doing it every year. If you have a boiler that is fairly recently. It has been tested stringently he cant see why it have any issues for several years.

Having a carbon monoxide alarm is more important. They are pretty cheap to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

A boiler should be serviced every year.its not just a service its also a safety check of gas pipe work and flue and check emissions and so on.there may never be a problem but when there is 'you will be glad you had it checked and avoid someone getting hurt or killed .

• Advertisement

crock! wrote: »
    A boiler should be serviced every year.its not just a service its also a safety check of gas pipe work and flue and check emissions and so on.there may never be a problem but when there is 'you will be glad you had it checked and avoid someone getting hurt or killed .
    What qualifies you to make that statement ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Used to be a requirement when I was renting out my place in Scotland AFAIK, personally I'd do it if I was renting a place out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As per the above- its recommended to service the boiler annually.
    Boilers have a finite lifespan at the best of times (typically 12 to 14 years, but less on some models)- a service will normally give you a report on the state of the boiler, and often comes with a guarantee (aka that if a problem arises within X amount of time after the service that the technician will visit and assess the situation within 48 hours- or something to that effect).

I have a 'Silver Boiler Service Contract' with Bord Gais- which entitles me to an annual service and if anything does go wrong- they visit within 24 hours and don't charge for repairs (just parts). Inevitably any problems arise at the very worst time of the year- just when you need the boiler the most- so having the peace of mind and knowledge that you will get a service visit even over Christmas if you need it- is well worth the 140 Euro.

As per the above- its recommended to service the boiler annually.
    Boilers have a finite lifespan at the best of times (typically 12 to 14 years, but less on some models)- a service will normally give you a report on the state of the boiler, and often comes with a guarantee (aka that if a problem arises within X amount of time after the service that the technician will visit and assess the situation within 48 hours- or something to that effect).

I have a 'Silver Boiler Service Contract' with Bord Gais- which entitles me to an annual service and if anything does go wrong- they visit within 24 hours and don't charge for repairs (just parts). Inevitably any problems arise at the very worst time of the year- just when you need the boiler the most- so having the peace of mind and knowledge that you will get a service visit even over Christmas if you need it- is well worth the 140 Euro.

seems they do charge, .

how often does you boiler break down?
    12-14 years is pretty poor, I'd expect a minimum of 20 years from a boiler.

who recomends the annual service? the people who conduct the boiler?

Here's a question, if the year had 18 months in it, would they still say do an annual service, or would they say doa 12 month service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Citycap

hfallada wrote: »
    I have spoken to a plumber has done them in the past and who have said its a bit of a scam doing it every year. If you have a boiler that is fairly recently. It has been tested stringently he cant see why it have any issues for several years.

Having a carbon monoxide alarm is more important. They are pretty cheap to buy

It is recommended. The insurance companies will look for verification if it anything happens. The local authority are now looking for records of service in relation to letting of properties when they do inspections. (South Dub County Council) now have a team in place inspecting private rented accommodation.
    Last but by no means there is a possibility of a manslaughter charge if someone was to die as a result of a gas leak and regular maintenance was not performed.

I know it can be a scam but Bord Gais do a good deal re service.

• Advertisement

Citycap wrote: »
    It is recommended. The insurance companies will look for verification if it anything happens. The local authority are now looking for records of service in relation to letting of properties when they do inspections. (South Dub County Council) now have a team in place inspecting private rented accommodation.
    Last but by no means there is a possibility of a manslaughter charge if someone was to die as a result of a gas leak and regular maintenance was not performed.

always careful of "good deals with Services" especially when there €39

theres threa in th eplumbign forum which explains why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Citycap wrote: »

Why would get it done if its unnecessary? I think the only reason why people get it done is because bord Gais push it so heavily because they have a huge market share and profit off it. If there was a oil company as big as them I think we probably would be told to service our oil boilers too. You hear regular stories of oil boilers catching on fire as they were ancient. But you never hear the same issues with a gas boiler as they are generally modern and develop few issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Avoid the deal sites for boiler services as they generally do f all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

sweetie wrote: »
    Avoid the deal sites for boiler services as they generally do f all

I don't think that's necessarily true. I know some good, registered plumbers who offer good value service deals. They make a loss on the service, but are often called back to do a bigger plumbing job, so overall it's worth their while.

ted1 wrote: »
    seems they do charge, .

how often does you boiler break down?
    12-14 years is pretty poor, I'd expect a minimum of 20 years from a boiler.

who recomends the annual service? the people who conduct the boiler?

Here's a question, if the year had 18 months in it, would they still say do an annual service, or would they say doa 12 month service?

Gas boilers typically have a shorter lifespan than oil boilers (or so I'm told)- with 12-14 years being the normal lifespan of a unit. I was also told that in the intervening 12-14 years, that improvements in boiler efficiency means they're much cheaper to run than older models- how much cheaper is open to interpretation of course.

My boiler has broken 3 or 4 times in the past 5 years- inevitably its the electrics- unfortunately I'm in Lucan, so while I use surge protectors on almost everything in the house, the inbuilt electrical appliances, including the electrics on the gas boiler, are not protected. The ESB did leave a thing plugged in here for a few weeks taking readings, and then advised that there is an issue with power surges, however its uneconomical for them to address it, as we're the last on the line?

The reason an annual service is recommended- is normal usage patterns include a protracted period of inactivity over the summer and autumn months. Issues tend to manifest themselves when you then turn in on a regular basis again (and indeed most problems seem to occur on Sundays, Bank holidays- or other awkard times). I need to know if something goes wrong that I will have someone out to repair it without delay- and the contract with Bord Gais guarantees a 24 hour call-out, even during peak times.

I have had issues in the past- and I do have young children- I can't afford a new boiler to replace the back boiler I currently have- so I need to try to keep what I have at the moment working- and hopefully get a few more years service out of it.

On the basis of the servicing I get, and the guaranteed 24 hour call-out if an issue arises- I think my 140 Euro is money well spent, and I have no issue paying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Living in a rented home,boiler needs a servicing. Last one done was 05 i think!! Is this the landlords responsibility or should i ring esb and get someone out?

Living in a rented home,boiler needs a servicing. Last one done was 05 i think!! Is this the landlords responsibility or should i ring esb and get someone out?

Look up your local newspaper- any gas appliance men who have RGI registration are qualified to service your boiler. I presume you have a Carbon Monoxide detector?

What qualifies you to make that statement ?
    Im rgi and know what to check for.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Look up your local newspaper- any gas appliance men who have RGI registration are qualified to service your boiler. I presume you have a Carbon Monoxide detector?

No carbon monoxide detector unfortunitly

No carbon monoxide detector unfortunitly

They're less than 20 quid in B&Q/Atlantic etc for a good brand (like Kidde)
    They have a limited lifespan- if you look at the unit itself- it will have a replace by date stamped on it. If you have gas heating or appliances- you *need* to buy yourself a CO alarm.

• Advertisement

A service only increases efficiency by 2% ( seai) figures the other reasons for a service a to prevent it breaking but is it worth €120 a year when a repair might be 200 every 3 years.

That leaves safety, if there is working carbon monoxide sensors and they are tested regular I don't see the need for an annual service, why not check the manual to see if there is a recommendation on service intervals.
    There is no co sensor in a boiler.we have flame reactivation and termisters for heat and if it an old boiler then an interrupted thermocouple but they wont work for a boiler that recycles flue gas unless its really bad and lifts the flame for rectification.

There is no co sensor in a boiler.we have flame reactivation and termisters for heat and if it an old boiler then an interrupted thermocouple but they wont work for a boiler that recycles flue gas unless its really bad and lifts the flame for rectification.
    Sorry misread post about co alarm.120 is to much for a service 80 or 90 would be enough. Better safe than sorry.

Sorry misread post about co alarm.120 is to much for a service 80 or 90 would be enough. Better safe than sorry.

I agree. I'm happy to spend a little more- as insurance that if something does go wrong- I have a service guarantee that Bord Gais will fix it within 24 hours- regardless of the time of year, or how busy they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Get a carbon monoxide detector that will last 7/8 yrs without battery change needed

I never said there was an internal co sensor , I was talking about an external one.

P.S I'm an electronic engineer and am well capable of using technical words to make me sound. More important, but I don't see the need.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I never said there was an internal co sensor , I was talking about an external one.

P.S I'm an electronic engineer and am well capable of using technical words to make me sound. More important, but I don't see the need.

in all fairness you called him out on how hes qualified to make a statement, hes now just showing hes knowledgable. Not sure why you keep having a go at him tbh, maybe you feel silly for calling him out now knowing he actually knows more than the regular joe soap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Our gas boiler is outside in the boiler house which has a louver door. it used to accommodate the oil boiler installed in the 1960s.

so realistically there's absolutely no way we could get carbon monoxide build up.

However I wouldn't skimp of servicing a boiler located inside the house.

D3PO wrote: »
    in all fairness you called him out on how hes qualified to make a statement, hes now just showing hes knowledgable. Not sure why you keep having a go at him tbh, maybe you feel silly for calling him out now knowing he actually knows more than the regular joe soap.

Why would I feel silly? It was a genuine question , as an engineer I like to know the facts and if someone makes a statement I like to make an opinion based on there qualifcation. I never feel the need or see the need to get technical in a non technical forum, and feel that people that do are just trying to show off. Believe me I can get very technical but this isn't the place as its not relevant.

I still feel that that there is need for an annual service and that boilers last longer than 20 years. In fact I know of very few people who have ever replaced a boiler my house was built in 84 and the boiler was fitted then as was the neighbours etc and there all still working .

Maybe next year when the pay as you save scheme comes in to replace the better homes scheme we will replace it with a more modern condensing boiler.

sweetie wrote: »
    Get a carbon monoxide detector that will last 7/8 yrs without battery change needed

Don't forget to test it at regular intervals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Punctuation though...

Advertisement