Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscail: BSc (Hons) in Information Technology.

Options
  • 20-06-2013 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I am thinking of applying for the degree course below with Oscail in September.

I already have three semesters completed of a Bsc in Information Technology (Ord) in W.I.T. but could not complete it due to changes in my hours of work so I would be hoping for exemptions.

Just wondering if anyone else is doing this Degree with Oscail and if so how are they finding it.

I have read other threads on the subject which have given bad reviews of lecturers and outdated material but these threads are a few years old so hoping for some up to date information on how the course is being run.

My main reason for choosing Oscail is that it is half the price of Open University.

Thanks in advance

http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=IT&degree_description=Diploma+%2F+B.Sc.+in+Information+Technology

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Eamon_DCU

Hi,

Others can comment on the current course content but you would likely be eligible for exemptions please PM me if you have a specific query on this.

When you say you have three semesters completed do you mean years?

The Oscail BSc in IT programme is flexible so you can exit with a diploma after studying for certain time - the length would depend on where you enter based on any exemptions etc. and how many modules you feel you can study in a given year -(though most students elect to stay studying to honours degree level with us by this stage).

-E

- Eamon

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭begod

Hi Eamon_DCU

Thanks for the reply.
    When you say you have three semesters completed do you mean years?

I have completed 3 Semesters below. There is 2 semesters in each year. This is a link to the W.I.T. part time degree:

http://www.wit.ie/courses/school/education/waterford_part_time_evening_courses_life_long_learning/bsc_in_information_technology_part_time

Year 1
    Semester 1

OO Programming Fundamentals
    Information Technology Systems
    Systems Analysis Fundamentals
    Visual Communication
    Mathematics
    Document Management

Semester 2

OO Programming Principles
    IT Applications
    Systems Implementation
    Web Design
    Statistical Analysis
    Critical Thinking & Learning
    Information Technology

Year 2
    Semester 3

Data Structures
    Network Fundamentals
    Database Fundamentals
    Multimedia Fundamentals
    Mathematical Modelling
    Web Applications

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭romperstomper

a decent qualification, but a terrible course

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Eamon_DCU

I'm PMed you about exemptions based on your previous study.
    - E

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭begod

a decent qualification, but a terrible course

A Bsc (Hons) in I.T. from DCU would look nice on the CV alright and I'm sure it's a tough course but can is ask in what ways was the course terrible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭romperstomper

out of a total of 14 modules in 4 years, 2 were in coding and were unrelated to each other (1X COBOL, 1X C++)

having an IT degree and next to zero computer science knowledge (algorithms, time complexity, BigO, large/small Indian) is a joke.

if you never want/need to code OR have any knowledge of computer science then the course will give you a reasonable CV buff.

if knowledge in CS you seek, else where you go.

caveat, i qualified in 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

You want this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056026757

This thread has a few posts by myself and others plus a few links to other threads.

Long story short. Good as a qualifiaction. Not great for CS & poor for programming.

(I did this from 2008 - 2012 with no exemptions and got a first. I do not recommend doing it that quickly unless you want to commit to no life)

Advertisement