Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about laptop CPU upgrade

Options
  • 20-06-2013 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi

Just wondering would anyone happen to know is it possible to upgrade the CPU on a Toshiba Satellite L650D or could send me a link to a website with that information its just I dont want to open it and see if it could be changed just in case I brake something or it wont go back together properly. I really want to make my laptop faster as I dont have money to upgrade.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Impossible, can't be done. Upgrading to a newer laptop is the only option for a faster CPU. You can add more, or faster RAM to help boost performance but you are stuck with the CPU. It's embedded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Impossible, can't be done. Upgrading to a newer laptop is the only option for a faster CPU. You can add more, or faster RAM to help boost performance but you are stuck with the CPU. It's embedded.

Not true. All depends on the laptop. On my old Lenovo N200 I was able to remove the CPU to reapply the thermal paste and give it a good overhaul.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/148910/laptop_cpu.html

I upgraded the CPU on my laptop from a Core 2 Duo P8400 to a P8600. Not much of a difference (2.26 GHz vs 2.4 GHz) but I had the P8600 knocking about so thought, why not? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

laptops aren't always designed to be upgraded like that. Some might be able to, others mightn't.

The CPU is generally the most expensive component on a laptop and you mention you're short on cash. What's the current system spec and what new processor did you have in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭jimmy5694

well, not enough to upgrade to let say an €800 laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Best way to speed up a laptop is max the ram and add a ssd hard drive and sit back and watch it fly

yea i upgraded the Ram from 4gb to 8gb i dont know yet if it made it faster but time will tell. system spec: Athlon 2 p320 dual core processor 2.1ghz, 64bit operating system 480gb internal hardrive i have 1tb external, ATI mobility Radeon HD 5145 graphics card.

Funny enough, i emailed toshiba and they said it can be changed however i was talking to a lad and he advised me to download malwarebytes and spybot and to run spybot first until complete and then run malwarebytes, at first i thought he was talking crap but i done it and it makes some difference because they look at everything behind the scenes and delete or disable any crap running in the background, it actually have made a differenc, so thats my tip for whover want to speed up their system!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭mcw92

jimmy5694 wrote: »
    Funny enough, i emailed toshiba and they said it can be changed however i was talking to a lad and he advised me to download malwarebytes and spybot and to run spybot first until complete and then run malwarebytes, at first i thought he was talking crap but i done it and it makes some difference because they look at everything behind the scenes and delete or disable any crap running in the background, it actually have made a differenc, so thats my tip for whover want to speed up their system!!

Doing a fresh windows install is best IMO when system is running very slow.
    Backup all data, note installed programs etc.

Then install only necessities when its back in action.

Advertisement