Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driveway Border

• 20-06-2013 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

I'm getting the front garden paved, and will be left with a border along the walls (approx 5m and 8m along the 2 walls, about .5m deep).

Need a few suggestions of what to plant. Looking for plants that will be fairly low maintenance, and that won't grow too high. I know very little about plants, flowers, shrubs, etc, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I suggest you get the installers to use a consaw and mitre your kerbing to finish the joints between the kerbing properly. If this is not possible, fill the yawning gaps with a coloured mortar otherwise these gaps will become an ideal place for weeds to become established and a constant weeding chore.

You would be wise to check if and how the kerbing pavers are secured as this would also be a factor in deciding what plants might be suitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Sorry, wasn't clear in the OP, they're not finished yet, so joints, etc will all be filled tomorrow. I'll check with the lad in the morning how they were set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

So the kerbing was all set in concrete, so no worries about any movement.

I'll only be putting some small plants along the walls, and probably a shrub in the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Ratoath garden centre has good deals on at the moment for plants and a wander around their centre will give you some ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The width of the border and the fact that it is up against walls and sheltered by trees will mean that it will be rather dry. Suggest you mention this when you are looking for plants. Lavender might be nice, provided you keep it trimmed so it doesn't get leggy, I think you should go for something neat looking in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I would put in some new topsoil and mix in some compost and some manure too.

Good soil quality and condition is important.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

wowy wrote: »
    I'm getting the front garden paved, and will be left with a border along the walls (approx 5m and 8m along the 2 walls, about .5m deep).

Need a few suggestions of what to plant. Looking for plants that will be fairly low maintenance, and that won't grow too high. I know very little about plants, flowers, shrubs, etc, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Some plants to consider
    Spireae goldmound
    Cistus
    Potentilla
    Dwarf pine
    Dwarf japenese maple
    Skimmia jsponica
    Hebe
    Heuchera
    Choysia aztec pearl
    2 or 3 grasses
    All are pretty much maintenance free .check sizes on chosen variety.
    As p145 said decent soil and bit of manure will pay in the long term.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

All the suggested above are good. Generally, you'll get good advice in smaller, privately owned garden centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

paddy147 wrote: »
    I would put in some new topsoil and mix in some compost and some manure too.

Good soil quality and condition is important.:)

Ah Paddy no pictures I'm disappointed. :D

Mr.Fred wrote: »

Dont worry,they are on the way....:pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

rje66 wrote: »
    Some plants to consider
    Spireae goldmound
    Cistus
    Potentilla
    Dwarf pine
    Dwarf japenese maple
    Skimmia jsponica
    Hebe
    Heuchera
    Choysia aztec pearl
    2 or 3 grasses
    All are pretty much maintenance free .check sizes on chosen variety.
    As p145 said decent soil and bit of manure will pay in the long term.
    Hope this helps
    some very good plant suggestions here

Mr.Fred wrote: »

Some pics,just for you.

Herself dug out and built the raised bed.
    As far as I can remember we used around 3 tons of topsoil,compost,manure and horticultural grit to create the raised bed down the length of the driveway and boundary wall.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

paddy147 wrote: »
    Some pics,just for you.

Herself dug out and built the raised bed.
    As far as I can remember we used around 3 tons of topsoil,compost,manure and horticultural grit to create the raised bed down the length of the driveway and boundary wall.:)

No better man Paddy, Keep up the good work :D

Advertisement