Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage on a house with flood risk

Options
  • 20-06-2013 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking to borrow against a property that is at risk to flooding. Im led to believe that the house has never flooded in the last 100 yrs. it is within 20 yards of a river. will banks lend if i can not get flood insurance on the property? Insurance companies will insure it with the clause of no flood insurance.

Any1 have any experience dealing with the banks on this topic? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

There was a thread on this not so long ago (probably still on the first 2-3 pages); would be worth digging out and having a read.

Ill say the same now as I said in that thread; I think you would want to be out of your mind to buy a house that is in a flood risk zone. Doesnt matter if it has ever flooded before. Especially if you wont get flood insurance; have you any idea of the kind of devastation a flood will cause to your property, and the kind of cost that would be involved in putting it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://www.floodmaps.ie/ - and read the reports. There's a report for my street there, flood of the roadway caused by a tree root in a drain and no property damage, not classed as a flood risk.

And actually phone a number of insurance firms rather than going on hearsay, its possible that you can get full insurance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its classified as an uninsurable risk- and most lenders will run a mile rather than give you a mortgage- or attach such onerous conditions to the loan as to make it wholly unworkable.

Advertisement